Catholics irked when school admits kids of gay couple

kickycan

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 11:36 am
Jack Webbs wrote:
OK "Eva", in order to avoid being banned from this thread or the forum from now on I will watch my step as you suggest and avoid comment on anything you post, ignore. I will also be on the alert for your "dear friends" and avoid any disagreement with them as well. I will be sensitive to their feelings. Certainly nothing in common anyway. Nothing like hearing and reading only things you agree with. :wink:

No, please keep on doing what you're doing. It's better for all of us to hear your honest bigoted remarks. It shows us all what ignorance breeds.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 12:05 pm
Eva wrote:
I agree wholeheartedly with rosborne. The church's policy is inconsistent with their mission. If they were truly concerned about the children's values, they would admit them in order to surround them with standard Catholic values and examples.

Actually, the church is admitting the kids. It's "other" parents in the congregation who are objecting.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 01:06 pm
You're right, rosborne. I reread it. It's the NOKD* types that are the problem.

(*Not Our Kind, Dear)

Hey Jack, this is an open forum, and according to the TOS, you're free to express whatever opinions you have as long as you don't insult others. I was just warning you about the TOS because you're a newbie, and newbies are often surprised at how quickly and decisively our moderators act. You'll find quite a wide variety of people here on A2K, with a wide variety of thoughts and opinions. They're all worthwhile. Just don't get too upset when others don't share your opinions...and aren't afraid to say so. It's a community, and we do care for our own. I hope you'll find a way to fit in here and become one of us.
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 05:37 am
We had something similar happen at the Church here in Camp about a dozen years ago. A child started going to the Sunday School class, and then the Powers-That-Be discovered (gasp) that the child's parents not members of the Church, so they expelled the kid.

Personally, I think the Church ought to be overjoyed when a child is hearing the Gospel, but what do I know.
0 Replies

Jack Webbs

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 09:45 am
This wasn't a Catholic church camp was it Jim? Reason I ask is because I personally know a number of parents who are Protestant and send their children to Catholic schools in hopes of them recieving a better education.

Plus I am not familiar with camp being a popular thing with Catholics. You also mentioned "Gospel" which of course we have but is not preemminent.

I don't know. This is The New Millenium. I suppose anything is possible. Smile
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 09:49 am
Jack - This was the Catholic Church in Camp, and it was the regular Sunday School Classes. I don't believe what happened was the official Church policy. The Priest at that time was a rather weak personality. There was a "Queen Bee" "lady" running the CCD program, and no one had the cajones to rein her in.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 09:52 am
Religion preaches tolerance and brotherhood. There is however a considerable gap between preaching and practice. The tolerance and brotherhood it preaches is I believe reserved for those who believe as they do. {All religions are guilty of the same sin}
0 Replies

Jack Webbs

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 10:27 am
I see now Jim, a fly in the ointment. Yes, as with everything else it happens. It spoils the picture.

Years ago I was invited to have dinner with an elderly priest. The only thing we had in common was that we originated from the same county.

Driving back to the rectory I pointed out some homeless people with dismay. He replied by saying the solution was to put them all in prison. Needless to say I was shocked. I did not say anything. I let it slide and chalked it up to his age. He was well into his seventies and was probably experiencing a moment of frustration in his work as we all do from time to time. Smile
0 Replies

owl

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 05:44 am
Jack,

This is not a ballanced forum. The liberals outnumber the consertives and they do not like to be challanged. This forum is a microism of the world at large where the minorites rule.
0 Replies

Jack Webbs

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 01:10 pm
You're probably right but I don't like anything balanced. I like partisanship. It doesn't rule my life though. I probably take the right to vote too lightly for example because I never get worked up over the outcome of a National election. Providing he is not a Communist it makes little difference to me who the President is. I am much more concerned with local politics than what goes on in Washington.

I would never enroll in the Democrat or republican Clubs because I never would follow either party line in good conscience. I am registered as an Independent because it allows me to vote and I have no particular love for Independents, have no idea who they are.

I just enjoy my own personal views about things and they range from Liberal to Conservative. I don't aim to please anyone in particular other than whoever my lady friend happens to be at the time.

It matters not at all to me how many Liberals or Conservatives are in the room.
0 Replies

Magginkat

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2005 11:52 pm
More of the same...........
au1929 wrote:
Apparently and frankly suprisingly there are many more " Jack Webbs".

Unfortunately!
0 Replies

Jack Webbs

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 12:30 am
Ewwwwww. Shocked
0 Replies

AngstRiddenGuy

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2005 04:41 pm
so what?
its a religious institution. they can be irked and can even move to remove the undesirables.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2005 04:55 pm
AngstRiddenGuy

Who do you consider the undesirables to be? I would consider the intolerant bigoted idiots who want to expel the children to be undesirable.
0 Replies

AngstRiddenGuy

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2005 04:58 pm
not the point
au1929 wrote:
AngstRiddenGuy

Who do you consider the undesirables to be? I would consider the intolerant bigoted idiots who want to expel the children to be undesirable.

Catholics are Christians - jokes about pedophelia aside, they have codes etc they wish, as their religion dictates, to uphold. as such, if a child comes from a family who does not uphold or denies entirely those codes, they are within theit rights to remove the child.
0 Replies

Jack Webbs

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2005 06:06 pm
I know bigot is a very ugly word. Especially when it is uttered by the tongue of the jackass. Having said that, many people are wrongly accused of being such things as racists, bigots etc. by some while being seen by most others as good, clean-cut people protecting their rights regardless of their color or religious beliefs.

I for one do not ever aim to please anyone for anything when their only argument for me doing so is in the name of compassion.

The very existence of our great institutions; neighborhoods, schools, churches, social life depends on the willingness of good men to say no.

America enables all of us to be equal, we have a very large tent so to speak. On the other hand we must prevail with our willingness to say no to a few things. And no, I am not going to define what those few things are to you because I am not required to and you already know what they are anyway. Or should. Of course if indeed you do not, you should make an effort to find out by asking somebody else. 2 Cents
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 12:47 am
Does anyone know if the little boy actually ended up attending the school? I think it's abominable that they were trying to exclude him on the basis of his parents' sexual orientation, but my concern is more for how it will impact his own development being educated in an atmosphere that teaches intolerance of the very existence of families such as his; (of course, now that I think of it, that would truly be just about every school in America - based on how voting went last fall). Sad when you think about it, but I have to surmise that if a school actively tries to keep a certain kind of student out - the daily existence of that student will turn into a nightmare if he ends up attending. Not to mention the fact that the people he spends his days with, teachers and students alike, will be the mirror in which he sees himself at a very impressionable age and may well ultimately end up "teaching" him negative falsehoods about who he is, and who his parents are. I think I would have fought the fight, but in the interest of the child, passed when they accepted him and found a more tolerant, all-embracing comfortable setting for my child. There are a few of them that at the very least don't publicly deride diverse and/or alternative lifestyles- maybe a Friends school, if they are not interested in public schools.

Private schools reject students all the time based on who the student or his or her parents are or aren't. The difference here is they made their intolerance (of in this case, homosexuality- sometimes it's just simple lack of social standing) public. Just thinking about this little boy and how he's doing.
0 Replies

07s

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 10:28 am
Quote:
Catholics are Christians - jokes about pedophelia aside, they have codes etc they wish, as their religion dictates, to uphold. as such, if a child comes from a family who does not uphold or denies entirely those codes, they are within theit rights to remove the child.

As was said before, the question here is not only the non-adherence of the homosexual parents to the Catholic *believes*. It has more to do with the selective amnesia of the other parents. How many of them have not thought ill of others or have cheated or lied or have had sexual encounters before marriage or with someone else after their marriage or have divorced (etc etc). If the school is to go by the "real Catholic views" then all of those students would have to be expelled.
0 Replies

Jack Webbs

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 11:32 am
As was said before, the question here is not only the non-adherence of the homosexual parents to the Catholic *believes*. It has more to do with the selective amnesia of the other parents. How many of them have not thought ill of others or have cheated or lied or have had sexual encounters before marriage or with someone else after their marriage or have divorced (etc etc). If the school is to go by the "real Catholic views" then all of those students would have to be expelled. (posted by Just Hatched)

The arena of select memory where heterosexual infidelities are concerned is not a place where queer behavior is considered. Nor should it be. You see this is the essence of the problem with "gays." Many of them wrongly believe they can simply bother us with their own peculiar problems as if they were normal ones; those problems that normal people encounter throughout life.

Some of them are not only rude but very obnoxious. Just being boors is not enough for them. Where the recent Pope appeared to me to reluctantly condone their nasty intrusion, I am hoping the new German fellow will let them know they are welcome as all God's children are and to remain silent as good parishioners do. Otherwise? Leave, get out, find some other venue to promote their sex perversion.
0 Replies

07s

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 11:59 am
Quote:
The arena of select memory where heterosexual infidelities are concerned is not a place where queer behavior is considered. Nor should it be. You see this is the essence of the problem with "gays." Many of them wrongly believe they can simply bother us with their own peculiar problems as if they were normal ones; those problems that normal people encounter throughout life.

As a matter of fact, it should be. If one "peculiar" behavior is not condoned then neither should be any other perversion, whether its sexual or not.

Yes i think i see whats the problem with the "queer couples' - trying to provide the best to a child who would live without care in any childcare home or a third world home- how very bothersome.

Are these queer couples more bothersome than what blacks were 50 years ago in US society? Were they not peculiar to whites or should i say normal people whom other whites (oops sorry normal people) encountered in their daily lives.

Quote:
Some of them are not only rude but very obnoxious.Just being boors is not enough for them.

And ofcourse straight people would never be any of those. Thanks for this scoop. I see british tabloids would be having a field day.

Quote:
Where the recent Pope appeared to me to reluctantly condone their nasty intrusion, I am hoping the new German fellow will let them know they are welcome as all God's children are and to remain silent as good parishioners do.

To remain silent against the discrimination? Just FYI Spain (Roman Catholic majority) yesterday passed a law allowing gay marriages.

Quote:
Otherwise? Leave, get out, find some other venue to promote their sex perversion.

Equal rights are not for anyone to handout as charity.
0 Replies