Catholics irked when school admits kids of gay couple

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 09:47 am
Catholic school angers some parents, parishioners by admitting gay couple's sons

COSTA MESA - Some parents and parishioners have accused the Roman Catholic diocese in Orange County of violating church doctrine by allowing a gay couple to enroll their children in a church school.

The group demanded that St. John the Baptist School in Costa Mesa accept only families that pledge to abide by Catholic teachings, the Los Angeles Times reported in Sunday's editions. Church doctrine opposes gay relationships and adoption by same-sex couples.

"The teachings of the church seem to have been abandoned," John R. Nixon told the Times. "We send our children to a Catholic school because we expect and demand that the teachings of our church will be adhered to."

School officials rejected the demand, and issued a new policy stating that a family's background "does not constitute an absolute obstacle to enrollment in the school."

The parents' demand would presumably prevent two adopted boys whose parents are both men from attending the school's kindergarten.

The Rev. Gerald M. Horan, superintendent of diocese schools, said that if Catholic beliefs were strictly adhered to, then children whose parents divorced, used birth control or married outside the church would also have to be banned.

"This is the quagmire that the parents' position represents," he said. "It's a slippery slope to go down."

The boys' parents, who enrolled their children at the beginning of the school year, declined to comment to the Times.

Some parents have promised to ask the Vatican to intervene and some have threatened to pull their children from the school. Others are worried the boys' attendance will set a precedent, saying their presence is part of a larger effort by the gay community to change the church.

"The boys are being used as pawns by these men to further their agenda," said Monica Sii, who has four children at the school.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,441 • Replies: 53
No top replies

panzade

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 09:50 am
Re: Catholics irked when school admits kids of gay couple
joefromchicago wrote:
The Rev. Gerald M. Horan, superintendent of diocese schools, said that if Catholic beliefs were strictly adhered to, then children whose parents divorced, used birth control or married outside the church would also have to be banned.

One tiny paragraph reveals the hypocrisy...
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 09:52 am
These so-called Catholic parents need to grow up. Gays have been adopting children, including children that no one else wanted, and have been doing a fine job of raising these kids.

Marriage is not and never was anything but a contract to settle the distribution of property within a family.

Catholic means universal as well as the Roman Catholic Church. These folks need to embrace a universal view of parenthood.

During the 1960s, Catholics led the way in liberal causes. These folks shame a great tradition.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 10:02 am
I think the catholic school should have every right to exclude anyone they want to. The hypocricy is nothing new to any religious group. Now if they want my $$ to fund their bullshit I must object (vouchers anyone?) faith-based is a carnival of hypocrisy.
0 Replies

gozmo

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 07:51 pm
School officials rejected the demand[/size]
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 08:14 am
The "tolerance" Evil or Very Mad of the religious always shines through.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 03:45 pm
I think they are worried about the wrong "gays"
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 11:05 am
dyslexia wrote:
I think the catholic school should have every right to exclude anyone they want to. The hypocricy is nothing new to any religious group. Now if they want my $$ to fund their bullshit I must object (vouchers anyone?) faith-based is a carnival of hypocrisy.

I agree on all counts.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 11:26 am
Just another display of the 'Tolerance" of religion
0 Replies

Jack Webbs

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 04:04 pm
It is blaspheme but this sort of thing is to be expected after the revelation of so many priests being queer. Of course the Church has become increasingly Liberal since Vatican II. Nothing at all wrong with a little Liberalism other than the fact that it extends into weakness. Most Catholics are against abortion yet most of them are Democrats. Quite a contradiction here I believe.

When I go to mass these days I attened the Tridentine mass in hopes I can evade being surrounded by all the awful things caused and emitted by Vatican II. Yet, I know that somewhere there are probably Liberals also enjoying Tridentine that believe it is just fine to allow their overtly odd, queer children to be enrolled in Catholic schools

This would not happen in Ireland though. At least not where I taught I am certain.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 04:43 pm
No matter the Church's stand on homosexuality, it seems a noticeable lack of Christian charity to stigmatize innocent children for the alleged 'sins' of their adoptive parents. In what sense is the sexual orientation of the parents the fault or liability of the kids?
0 Replies

Jack Webbs

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 05:14 pm
The parents are well aware of the fact their children are queer. It is an outrage they knowingly attempt to insert them into the midst of normal children attending Catholic schools in which homosexuality is considered an abomination. In spite of the queer preists that have recently come to light.

If parents are not able to afford, locate a private school that accomodates their odd children as well as the normal and there are many too be found, they should rely on public schools for which they already support with their tax money.

This is a far better choice for them as well as others because it eliminates the animosity they are likely to recieve from the students, parents as well as teachers in Catholic schools if they force their queer children on us.

Does this not make sense?
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 12:05 am
No, no, no, Jack Webbs. Read the story again. It's the parents, not the kids, who are gay.

("Queer" is a term that is usually used as a put-down. Is your homophobia showing?)
0 Replies

Jack Webbs

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 12:39 am
Different reasons for it but the end result is the same. Student should not be admitted.

His "parents" can't have it both ways. They no damn well they can't and they are simply forcing the issue to draw attention to themselves. They are using their "son" in order to do this.

"Homophobia" is a misnomer. No man I know is afraid of queers. Rather they chose not to tolerate them. "Queer" is not politically correct and it might sound "harsh" to the ears of the queer. For the same reason, they prefer to draw attention away from their bizarre, beastly, sexual behavior as well.

("Queer" is an ageless term that is quite appropriate. "Gay" is a distorted new age, politically correct term that is preferred by the queer. Is your homolikeness showing "Eva"? Confused
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 07:49 am
Your words sound queer to my ear.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 07:58 am
Merry Andrew wrote:
No matter the Church's stand on homosexuality, it seems a noticeable lack of Christian charity to stigmatize innocent children for the alleged 'sins' of their adoptive parents. In what sense is the sexual orientation of the parents the fault or liability of the kids?

I agree.

The parents who objected to this are short sighted, and the church was smart to admit these kids. If the church were to reject these kids just because it didn't approve of their parents lifestyle, then they would be missing their best opportunity to influence those kids lives in what they must feel is a positive way (their way). Not only would they be shooting themselves in the foot, they would be taking careful aim before doing it.

Why would an institution, who's primary purpose is to indoctrinate new individuals (preferably the young) into their way of life, turn down the chance to influence the lives of two children of homosexual parents.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 08:06 am
Apparently and frankly suprisingly there are many more " Jack Webbs".
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 09:43 am
au1929 wrote:
Apparently and frankly suprisingly there are many more " Jack Webbs".

Au, I'm merely pointing out the consistency of the church's action based on its own internal goals and values. Even though in general, I'm not a big supporter of religious dogma and religiously inspired social manipulation, I think they are entitled to make their belief system known, and to try to convince people that their way is the right way (as long as they don't do it by force or coersion).
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 10:45 am
Jack Webbs wrote:
("Queer" is an ageless term that is quite appropriate. "Gay" is a distorted new age, politically correct term that is preferred by the queer. Is your homolikeness showing "Eva"? Confused

Perhaps it is, Jack. I have several dear friends who are homosexual (I will use that word to avoid further arguing over semantics) and I was offended on their behalf. I find your opinions pitifully outdated, hate-filled and, frankly, abhorrent. I suggest you watch your step here, as we have several homosexual members of A2K who are quite beloved. We will not tolerate them being insulted. So be careful.

I agree wholeheartedly with rosborne. The church's policy is inconsistent with their mission. If they were truly concerned about the children's values, they would admit them in order to surround them with standard Catholic values and examples.
0 Replies

Jack Webbs

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 11:27 am
OK "Eva", in order to avoid being banned from this thread or the forum from now on I will watch my step as you suggest and avoid comment on anything you post, ignore. I will also be on the alert for your "dear friends" and avoid any disagreement with them as well. I will be sensitive to their feelings. Certainly nothing in common anyway. Nothing like hearing and reading only things you agree with. :wink:
0 Replies