Sincere question for Christians:

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 12:05 am
I am an atheist. I'm not going to respond negatively in any way to your posts in this thread. And I encourage others to follow that lead in this thread. I have even capitalized your words Smile But I have a question that I'd like to see a Christian's answer to.

What exactly happened in Mary's womb? I mean exactly. At what point was the normal course of physics in the dna altered? Did Jesus have a Y chromosome? If so, when, in the fertilization process did it occur? Did God create a sperm and then make it appear from nothing in Mary's cervix? Or did He cause an abnormality in Mary's egg that caused it to undergo meiosis? I would appreciate any conjecture.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,849 • Replies: 42
No top replies

husker

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 12:10 am
Honestly none of that really makes any difference and I don't lose much sleep over it. I just belive and have faith that Jesus Christ was the son of God, how it exactly happened man I believe cannot answer.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 12:32 am
He's God ... He made it happen. I mean, he created the world, and humans, and the animals. I don't know how He did any of that either, but being God and all, I imagine he knew what to do, and did it.
0 Replies

Magus

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 02:50 am
Roman Catholic Dogma has it that MARY, herself, was "Immaculately" conceived... and born without the stain of "Original Sin"... thusly a fittingly chaste and pure vessel for the task of bearing the Messiah.
At the Crucifixion, Jesus made John ("the beloved") Mary's guardian, and he supposedly cared for her until the time of her demise... after which she was resurrected and then "Assumed" into Heaven.
This is why there is no chapel or church purporting to be the burial site of the "Blessed Virgin".
0 Replies

binnyboy

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 03:45 am
hmmmm interesting, magus

Born chaste of original sin. What exactly does original sin entail?

Also, do you have an opinion on the origins of Jesus' Y chromosome (when and where and in what fashion did it appear)?
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 08:03 pm
husker wrote:
Honestly none of that really makes any difference and I don't lose much sleep over it. I just belive and have faith that Jesus Christ was the son of God, how it exactly happened man I believe cannot answer.

But you should lose sleep over it! You should be reasonable rather than faithful - accept that there is obviously some possibility that what you believe is wrong (even if it's a minute possibility, such a scenario is obviously possible), and then with this in mind consider the arguments against what you believe. Responding to an argument which brings your beliefs into question with, "well I just have faith in Jesus..." is as good as ignoring it altogether. But since you know that there is at least a small possibility that, for example, Jesus was not the son of God, you should be attempting to refute such arguments through reasoned discussion - if your beliefs are correct, it should be possible to potentially refute any arguments against them. And you should be lying awake all night thinking about this!
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 12:02 am
that's why I walk by faith
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 12:07 am
you asked for conjecture not debate

Quote:
conjecture
a. a message expressing an opinion based on incomplete evidence
b. to believe especially on uncertain or tentative grounds
c. a statement that may seem to be true, but has yet to be proven
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 12:09 am
Good response, Husker.

agrote, she wasn't responding to an argument ... she was responding the the question posed by binnyboy, who stated up front this wasn't an argumentative thread.
0 Replies

TheWorldIsFlat

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 03:16 pm
husker wrote:

Why don't you have a little faith that he is correct? We know for a fact there was no great flood, no Ark and so much more. Years ago people were sure the world was flat. The stories of the bible are great stories, but they are all fiction. I understand you have nothing to lose by believing in the bible, but don't do it because others do. Do you people really think we are alone in this universe? Carbon and water is what we are made of and there are many other moons and planets capable of having them both we just have not reached them YET! Believe what you wish, but please weed out the crap about virgin births, great floods, parting seas yada yada yada.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 04:01 pm
TheWorldIsFlat wrote:
husker wrote:

Why don't you have a little faith that he is correct? We know for a fact there was no great flood, no Ark and so much more. Years ago people were sure the world was flat. The stories of the bible are great stories, but they are all fiction. I understand you have nothing to lose by believing in the bible, but don't do it because others do. Do you people really think we are alone in this universe? Carbon and water is what we are made of and there are many other moons and planets capable of having them both we just have not reached them YET! Believe what you wish, but please weed out the crap about virgin births, great floods, parting seas yada yada yada.

If one "believes what he wishes", what's that got to do with what you think is "crap" that needs weeding? In other words, belief doesn't answer to reason - whether it's apparently slam dunk reasoning about other carbon based life forms in the universe, or anything else.
0 Replies

binnyboy

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 05:00 pm
I can understand if you guys have never thought about this... but there has to be an answer, no matter WHAT it is. Nobody wants to submit a conjecture?
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 06:23 pm
binnyboy wrote:
I can understand if you guys have never thought about this... but there has to be an answer, no matter WHAT it is. Nobody wants to submit a conjecture?

the answer is no answer - not wasting more time on this.
0 Replies

binnyboy

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 11:12 pm
On the contrary. There IS an answer. That you do not care to guess what it is is a matter for you. But that there is an answer is certain. It happened one way and no other way.
0 Replies

Magus

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 12:22 am
The FACT is... that the suicide hijackers/bombers did what they did based on... "Faith".
Firm, unshakeable, concrete conviction, unsusceptible to reason or debate.

BLIND FAITH... is like a refined drug. Given a large enough dose, absolutely toxic.

Zealots and partisanship are festering sores upon society.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 12:35 am
feel your love man
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 06:47 am
snood wrote:
TheWorldIsFlat wrote:
husker wrote:

If one "believes what he wishes", what's that got to do with what you think is "crap" that needs weeding? In other words, belief doesn't answer to reason - whether it's apparently slam dunk reasoning about other carbon based life forms in the universe, or anything else.

Faith doesn't answer to reason, but belief can and should answer to reason.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 07:48 am
Says who? And while you're answering that, you mind providing your well-defined differentiation between faith and belief?
0 Replies

Magus

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 12:29 pm
My 4-year-old labors to BELIEVE that the department store Santa Claus he saw last month was the REAL santa... but he has expressed doubts... despite exhortations to have FAITH.

Smart little nephew, eh?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 01:25 pm
Yeah, okay. Uh...agrote?
0 Replies