ID Theft?

Pitter

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 06:48 am
In the US we guard our SS # with great secrecy fearing identity theft. In Colombia and many other Latin American countrys citizens are issued a national ID card called a "cedula" and required to have it (or a copy) on their person. That number is used for almost every transaction from the most private banking tranactions down to simple store purchases and that's been standard practise for decades. Why has this not resulted in a huge wave of identity theft?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 945 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 06:56 am
I don't know the details about South America.

But here in Europe - at least in most European countries - we are used to ID-cards since decades.

I mean, they get faked similar often (or even less) than passports.

Such happens - from number plates on cars to banc cards. And while government (and others) try to make them more save, criminals try to break that "code" again ...

re 'identity theft': I've never heard of an example, which I could follow/understand.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 07:28 am
Id theft arrived one or two times in France, as long as I know.

As it was something new, the stolen people had hard time.
0 Replies