1
   

George Bush is not a good Christian

 
 
PDiddie
 
Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 05:01 pm
The devastating tsunami this past weekend, and Bush's reaction to it, prove beyond a doubt that this man is hardly a good Christian.

Bush's first reaction on hearing of the devastation, as leader of the free world, could have been to immediately announce that the US was taking the lead in coordinating disaster relief. When we've already spent over $200 billion on Iraq, we shouldn't have said we were committing $15 million to the relief effort; we should have announced the creation of a billion-dollar global fund and called on all nations and private citizens on the planet to come together and help finance it. He should have called on all the liberal and conservative donors to both presidential campaigns, red state and blue state, to put aside their differences and donate to this worthy cause.

But he didn't.

Bush stayed on vacation and had a deputy press secretary -- not even his real press secretary -- answer questions about the catastrophe. Not until 5 days after the disaster struck, and after news reports indicated the death toll was approaching 100,000 -- and most importantly -- not until after the Washington Post ran a story saying that Bush was being criticized for ignoring the humanitarian crisis did Bush finally speak publicly on the matter.

A good Christian would have been mortified by the death and destruction in Indonesia. Occuring just a day after Christmas, his heart would have gone out to the millions of lives affected by this tragedy. He'd demand his aides come up with an immediate "Marshall Plan" for helping the affected regions. He'd have gone on TV immediately to convey his condolences -- not simply because it was the right thing to do, but also because that region of the world is one where such ceremony and attention to public statements are given great weight. He'd have done it not only because it was the right thing to do, but because the disaster struck a region of the world with the largest Muslim population on the planet.

Imagine the political and public relations impact of the United States coming to the rescue of the world's Muslims during our own high holiday.

Alas, it never happened.

It never happened because it's something a good Christian would do. It's something a good church, a good faith, would do. It's something that any decent human being, let alone a decent person of faith, would do. But it's not something that George Bush did, and it's not something that the religious right in America did. You didn't hear Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell organizing any telethons to help the dead and dying. You didn't hear the religious right demanding the White House get more involved to help the devastated. The religious right's call to arms include prohibiting gay marriage and attacking those who say "Merry Christmas" instead of "Happy Holidays", but mobilizing relief to the millions of tsunami victims in Asia? Not so much.

George Bush is a bad president, but worse yet, he is a bad Christian. And the Christians who stand with him, right there alongside him; the ones who are currently girding their loins for the battle to get Bush's judges rammed through the Senate, are just as bad.

One has to wonder if the reaction would have been different from this White House had the victims been Christian.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,803 • Replies: 20
No top replies

 
dyslexia
 
  1  
Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 05:04 pm
probably not
0 Replies
 
Idaho
 
  1  
Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 10:11 pm
People who live in glass houses . . . (I'm sure you know the rest)
0 Replies
 
dyslexia
 
  1  
Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 10:13 pm
I don't, please fill me in.
0 Replies
 
edgarblythe
 
  1  
Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 10:26 pm
I have never even seen a glass house. Are you sure there really is such a thing?
0 Replies
 
squinney
 
  1  
Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 10:34 pm
I'm not sure if he qualifies as a good Christian or not. Many fall short.

I do know that I was surprised by his reaction and lack of response. Not that I should have been given his record, but I guess I was still hoping for some humanity to exist within him. Even when he did respond, I didn't think he came across as being truly moved by the enormity of the disaster.

Not sure I agree with with wanting him to respond as a way to reach out to muslims. To me that would have been an obvious political move.
0 Replies
 
Ticomaya
 
  1  
Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 12:38 am
Bush should have immediately appeared before a camera, pensively bitten his lower lip, and empathetically exclaimed, "I feel your pain." Then he would have demonstrated what we all know to be the real message of Christianity: Words are more important than deeds.
0 Replies
 
J-B
 
  1  
Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 05:01 am
My opinion: Bush might be a good one, but the president of the United States may not, he is just a political character.
0 Replies
 
PDiddie
 
  1  
Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 10:14 am
Ticomaya wrote:
Bush should have immediately appeared before a camera, pensively bitten his lower lip, and empathetically exclaimed, "I feel your pain."


Not according to deputy press secretary (and head busboy/Western White House) Trent Duffy, who said when challenged last Tuesday as to motivation for the public silence, bluntly stated:

Quote:
"The President wanted to be fully briefed on our efforts. He didn't want to make a symbolic statement about, 'We feel your pain.'"


This is more evidence you simply don't have the facts straight (even when you're being facetious).

Ticomaya wrote:
Then he would have demonstrated what we all know to be the real message of Christianity: Words are more important than deeds.


Do we all know this? Or just Christians? Part-time Christians; are they aware? How about the hypocrites in the Southern Baptisit Convention, or those back-sliding Methodists? How about Catholics and their priests, particularly the ones who repeatedly bore false witness (that violates one of the Big Ten if memory serves) during the presidential campaign? They get it, right?

Candidly, I knew this to be a GOP mantra but had no idea (as nothing more than a casual observer of Christianity and its practitioners) that it was also part of that cult also.

Tico, even as sarcasm, this is a pretty weak effort. I suppose I should consider it an improvement over what passes for rebuttal from you of late, since you don't mention me...

Can you do any better than this?
0 Replies
 
PDiddie
 
  1  
Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 10:16 am
dyslexia wrote:
probably not


Do you think the response would have been different if the victims had been European?

You know, (mostly) white people?
0 Replies
 
dyslexia
 
  1  
Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 10:20 am
yes
0 Replies
 
edgarblythe
 
  1  
Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 10:46 am
Agree with dys.
0 Replies
 
boomerang
 
  1  
Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 10:58 am
I think Tico lifted his thoughts from George Will's column today.

Let me see if I can find it.
0 Replies
 
boomerang
 
  1  
Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 11:04 am
Opps. Sorry.

It was Molly Ivins.

(How in the world could I confuse those two?)

Can't find it online though.....
0 Replies
 
au1929
 
  1  
Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 11:08 am
George Bush is not a good anything.
0 Replies
 
farmerman
 
  1  
Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 11:14 am
I think that the Diddster is just trollin fer crocagaters
0 Replies
 
au1929
 
  1  
Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 11:15 am
PDiddie wrote
Quote:
One has to wonder if the reaction would have been different from this White House had the victims been Christian.

I doubt it, he is an equal opportunity jackass.
0 Replies
 
Ticomaya
 
  1  
Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 03:32 pm
PDiddie wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
Bush should have immediately appeared before a camera, pensively bitten his lower lip, and empathetically exclaimed, "I feel your pain."


Not according to deputy press secretary (and head busboy/Western White House) Trent Duffy, who said when challenged last Tuesday as to motivation for the public silence, bluntly stated:

Quote:
"The President wanted to be fully briefed on our efforts. He didn't want to make a symbolic statement about, 'We feel your pain.'"


This is more evidence you simply don't have the facts straight (even when you're being facetious).

Ticomaya wrote:
Then he would have demonstrated what we all know to be the real message of Christianity: Words are more important than deeds.


Do we all know this? Or just Christians? Part-time Christians; are they aware? How about the hypocrites in the Southern Baptisit Convention, or those back-sliding Methodists? How about Catholics and their priests, particularly the ones who repeatedly bore false witness (that violates one of the Big Ten if memory serves) during the presidential campaign? They get it, right?

Candidly, I knew this to be a GOP mantra but had no idea (as nothing more than a casual observer of Christianity and its practitioners) that it was also part of that cult also.

Tico, even as sarcasm, this is a pretty weak effort. I suppose I should consider it an improvement over what passes for rebuttal from you of late, since you don't mention me...

Can you do any better than this?


The statement I made was in furtherance of your point: Bush isn't a good Christian because he should've bitten his lip and said "I feel your pain," right away. He didn't, therefore he isn't a good Christian. How does the fact that Bush's staff said he didn't want to do that in any way indicative that I don't have "the facts straight." What did I say, factually speaking, that was inaccurate?

In any event, you correctly identified my post as facetious/sarcastic. (Damn. Was it that transparent?) That being the case, why are you treating it as if it wasn't sarcastic?

And I apologize that my sarcasm isn't up to your high standards. Laughing
0 Replies
 
blueveinedthrobber
 
  1  
Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 03:34 pm
farmerman wrote:
I think that the Diddster is just trollin fer crocagaters


and they're biting.. :wink:
0 Replies
 
Ticomaya
 
  1  
Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 06:58 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
farmerman wrote:
I think that the Diddster is just trollin fer crocagaters


and they're biting.. :wink:


but can he reel any in? :wink:
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

700 Inconsistencies in the Bible - Discussion by onevoice
Why do we deliberately fool ourselves? - Discussion by coincidence
Spirituality - Question by Miller
Oneness vs. Trinity - Discussion by Arella Mae
give you chills - Discussion by Bartikus
Evidence for Evolution! - Discussion by Bartikus
Evidence of God! - Discussion by Bartikus
One World Order?! - Discussion by Bartikus
God loves us all....!? - Discussion by Bartikus
The Preambles to Our States - Discussion by Charli
 
  1. Forums
  2. » George Bush is not a good Christian
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 06/22/2024 at 03:54:29