Universals, what's the problem?

akaMechsmith

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 08:35 pm
A little off topic but once I asked if the word "blue" which in English is a soft sounding word with naught but pleasant connotations sounds the same in other languages.

A blue sky means pleasant things to an inhabitant of a temperate zone, but I wonder if it means and sounds the same to a resident of Saharan Africa, Equatorial America, or Southern India and Malaysia.

A blue sky is a positive thing for an Englishman indicating a pretty day, and fair weather. The word itself sounds soft and friendly.

But a blue sky in Equatorial Africa means pitiless heat and no moisture.

Now, Does any one know what the word for "blue" sounds like in any of the Sud Saharan languages, or aborigional Brazilian or Peruvian??

I suspect that even our words for colors have a cultural or territorial bias in them. Raises hell with universals Confused
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 11:18 pm
A "feeling" for a certain colour is biased from one individual to another. I don't think it provides a problem for universals. Blue is still there even though the feeling attached to it might be different.

I was born near the equator and I liked blue, and I liked looking at the sky/cloud , although a purely blue sky is pretty boring, but I also like rain... What I didn't like much was a clear hot day, but as long as I'm under the shade I'm alright, it does not deteriorate me from liking the colour blue.
0 Replies

val

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 06:35 am
Ray

I understand your position and I respect it, although I don't agree.
But, if we think about consequences, our positions lead, in general to the same results, specially in the case of science. I accept science like you do. It is true that I establish a limit to science knowledge - to any kind of knowledge - but there, in fact, we are not dealing with science but with philosophy. Within our experience conditions, science works. As for the problem of the object of scientific knowledge, it is a philosophical question, not a scientific one.
I think our differences would be more extreme if we deal with questions like God, Soul or other metaphysical entities.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 02:26 pm
Quote:
I think our differences would be more extreme if we deal with questions like God, Soul or other metaphysical entities.

Let's not go there. Laughing
As one FrankApisa once said, "I don't know."
0 Replies