Depressing New Year's Eve Stories

msolga

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 04:35 pm
And there's poor, depressed Santa .... forgotten so soon! Sad

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2005/01/01/cartoon_0201_gallery__550x430.jpg
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 07:30 pm
I had to renew my prescription for my meds. Forgot to do it at work during the day, but when I get home in the afternoon I'm thinking, "No problemo - I live BEHIND the local chemist!". He'd shut early for NYE - bugger.

By then it's a little obvious that NOT medicating myself in the morning is starting to make things a little 'fuzzy'. So I jump on a train to the next stop (Gosford) that's big enough to have a chemist still open - the alternative is TWO mornings with doses skipped.

Chemist is open. Hooray. Fill script, take meds. Good. Do some shopping for dinner and return to train station. THERE IS A 65 MINUTE WAIT TILL THE NEXT TRAIN. This is bad, my train trip is only three minutes - an hour wait with the train station and its environs starting to fill up with drunks who aren't going to be happy with the wait and they'll already asserting their right to reduce Gosford to rubble in order to have a 'good time'.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 07:33 pm
nimh wrote:
kickycan wrote:
I watched a really dumb movie (which I enjoyed immensely), then I went for a walk around midnight. At the stroke of midnight I was at the Plaza hotel. I walked back home up Fifth avenue along central park as the fireworks went off in the park near me. Pretty cool.

Early in the night, I was thinking, "screw it, I'm alone on New Year's Eve--I'm going to get drunk by myself and wallow in self-pity!" But, I didn't drink at all, which is good. I'm sure it would have been a suck-ass night if I had gotten drunk alone.

Have you got people walking around or drinking on their own on NYE there? It's such a group thing here, I didnt see anyone on their own out on the street (I mean after the half hour of fireworks or something). I think it would really kinda take guts to go out to some pub or club by your own at/after midnight (specially since you dont get in anywhere without expensive ticket, & all the good places are sold out in advance too).

I ended up going dancing last year after I'd spent walking round town with a friend an hour or two and she'd gone home to bed - but by then it was four something, so nobody really noticed anymore. But still I musta been pretty much the only one.

Perhaps its a mindset tho. I remember I was out on my own all night one night, eh - (god) - twelve years ago? My then-gf and I were gonna meet up in either Place 1 or Place 2 after midnight (back then you just lined up outside, no presale), and of course she ended up at Place 1 and me at Place 2, but we still both had a great night. Both got hit on by a girl as well, funnily enough. So back then it worked fine ... huh (dunno).

I guess in NY (or Amsterdam or something) you get lots of foreigners and visitors tho, out there for business or just holidays, so that already must make it different ...

New York is filled with people walking around, alone and in groups, almost all the time. You are right that last night there were a lot more groups and couples, but that's NYE. I did feel a little bit self-conscious about being by myself though at certain times, especially when I got to the Plaza Hotel and the crowd that was gathered there, but that was only because I figured the police might mark me as a suspicious character, just because I was alone. A few years ago, that might have just been paranoia, but with the way things are in NY now, I don't think it's much of a stretch. I started to feel a little bit like Travis Bickle in "Taxi Driver."

But as for the everyday regular people walking around, usually nobody pays any special attention to anybody else in New York; probably because everyday you see such a diversity of people here that you get used to it, and one guy walking alone is not different enough to get anyone's attention. You see tourists, businessmen, crackheads, religious nuts, people from all four corners of the globe, and if you listen, you can probably hear at least three or four different languages being spoken just on one subway ride. So no, I didn't really feel self-conscious about whether people were noticing me, the quiet loner walking around on New Year's Eve.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 07:37 pm
So, quick think. F*ck it - I'll WALK home. So I do. Didn't have the right kind on footwear but still made good time (about 45-50 mins). Only problem was having to keep shifting the bag of shopping around as it cut into my hand.

Home. Prepare my dinner. Awful - what was I thinking? Sort of lie down and listen to thumping music from other places and the usual carrying on as people wander up and down. Think about stuff.

3am - woken up when one of the trains comes back from Sydney with the revellers. Yahooing all the way up the road - was that the sound of my mailbox? Yep, check it in the morning, some-one has grabbed it and bent it over. NYE wouldn't be the same without some senseless mailbox busting, now would it?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 07:43 pm
Hehehe...funny story, Stillwater.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 07:44 pm
Here's the fun part. I'm picking up my children today (the 2nd) for a day out with them. I have to leave home at 7.15am to get there two hours later to collect them from the 'family home' (I used to pay like most of my salary for that place). No-one is home.

I call my wife (as she still is at present). "But I said we'd be staying at my parents and we could miss it this week!". "NO - we meant Thursday NITE!'. But - but - but...".

I have just wasted an opportunity to be with my children and the whole morning, because I forgot just how wonderfully obtuse my ex is. Her and her parents are probably telling the kids 'See, your Daddy doesn't really care about you at all' and I am, as always, totally screwed. Welcome to the New Year, just like the old year.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 07:46 pm
Mr. Stillwater--

I'm thrilled to know that mailbox bashing is an international sport.

Halloween, 2003, we had quite an epidemic of Fearless Youth expressing themselves through Neighborly Destruction. The local paper ran a number of letters. Most were from unhappy mailbox owners, but one was a bragging letter from a guy who exulted that in his youth no mailbox was safe from him and his buddies. What fun they had!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 07:48 pm
Damn, that last part really must have sucked. Sorry to hear it. Hope tomorrow's better!
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 07:48 pm
kickycan wrote:
Hehehe...funny story, Stillwater.

And you were where at 3pm Sat morn Kicky?* Or should I say Kicky, the Mailbox Terrorist?

*don't tell me and Paula were making it in Manhattan - it will be too much!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 07:50 pm
I should have put the bit about someone being shot and killed by the police, at the end of my street, last night in this thread, but honestly, I didn't notice a thing at the time. Thank goodness. I hope the dead kid isn't from our neighbourhood.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 07:50 pm
Don't worry, Stillwater, I was alone. and at three in the morning, I was safely asleep. Besides, I thought you were with Paula, listening to Barry White and rubbing your naked bodies all over each other.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 07:56 pm
I called her place and Barry White answered, "The lady Paula is toooooooo relaxed after mah loving to reach for the phone. My 50 Greatest Hits on 3 CDs is now available at Walmart for a low, low $13.95. Bye now, the lady Paula calls".

Next time I must remember that the idea of the music is to set the mood in order to have sex with me, not the singer!! Bono and Van Morrison have had their way with every girl I've taken out because of that little error!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 01:10 am
I should have put the bit about someone being shot and killed by the police, at the end of my street, last night in this thread, but honestly, I didn't notice a thing at the time. Thank goodness. I hope the dead kid isn't from our neighbourhood.

That's terrible, ehBeth!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 02:55 am
I'm sorry you missed out on your time with your kids, Stilly. <sigh>
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 08:39 am
Losing visitation time--particularly over the holidays--is hard.

May I suggest that next time you either get the agreement in writing and/or communicate with both your Ex and your kids.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 08:05 am
I got a sore throat, laryngitis, a hacking cough and a snotty nose for New Years. Yippee.

I still can't talk. It is really fun at the drive thru though....he he he....

Besides, Kicky, I still love you. Very Happy
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 11:00 am
Back away, kicky. She's contagious.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 11:02 am
don't sweat it kicky...she didn't mention cold sores....
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 11:38 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
don't sweat it kicky...she didn't mention cold sores....

at least not on my face. Shocked Laughing
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 04:50 pm
Damn, even Kristie's unmentionable cold sores don't turn me off. What is wrong with me!
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 03:32:55