0 Replies

Fluci

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 11:55 am
ai
tis 139
0 Replies

hseeadvaitleyd

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 12:52 pm
The riddle seemed so simple to me that I didn't bother looking at it in depth like some of you have lol.

I got 100 plain and simple. Though I'm not ANY good whatsoever with math. It made sense to me that if .5% of the block chips off on one stroke then another stroke takes off a full 1%. to get to 50% when going by 1% each time it would take you 50 hits. but since it takes two hits to get a full % I multiplied it by 2 and therefore got 100. Sounds pretty lame and stupid doesn't it? lol
0 Replies

EngelskJente

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 03:20 pm
hmmm....

yeah i can see how it's 139....

when i'm REALLY bored i'll do it again with a calculator that does not keep crashing and someone else to count....

yeah i could use the formulas but wheres the fun in that, lol...

Laughing
0 Replies

Jen Aside

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 06:13 pm
hseeadvaitleyd wrote:
The riddle seemed so simple to me that I didn't bother looking at it in depth like some of you have lol.

I got 100 plain and simple. Though I'm not ANY good whatsoever with math. It made sense to me that if .5% of the block chips off on one stroke then another stroke takes off a full 1%. to get to 50% when going by 1% each time it would take you 50 hits. but since it takes two hits to get a full % I multiplied it by 2 and therefore got 100. Sounds pretty lame and stupid doesn't it? lol

No, it doesn't sound stupid, just that you misread the question.

Even going by your math, they ask for "less than" 50%, so it would be 101 hits. However, each chip doesn't take off .5% of the ORIGINAL block each time, but .5% of what's left of the block after however many swings you've already taken at it.

Not that THAT makes any sense--how does the chisel know how much block happens to be left? Laughing "But it's no ordinary chisel... It's MAGIC!" Suuuuure... Rolling Eyes

If that's confusing to you, you can look at that old riddle that says, "A flea at one side of a room going to the other side of the room always jumps half of the remaining distance each time it jumps..." If it does that, it will "never" reach the other side, because there will always be some remaining distance left, even if *practically* speaking it will be close enough to the other side to effectively be there. Similarly, the chisel in the LC will never reduce the block to 0%, even if *practically* speaking eventually you'll wind up smashing atoms after so many hits.
0 Replies

kimmy rules

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2005 10:19 am
well,,,the only way we can only find out what the real answer is by waiting
0 Replies

fmorel

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2005 01:20 pm
i got 139 too. its really easy in excel to do it
0 Replies

Eskimo

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 04:29 pm
Yup, it is 139.
If you wanna check it, put this into Excel spreadsheet:

A1:10000
A2:=A1-SUM(B1:B999)

B1:=(A1-(A1/200))

Keep on updating the B1 cell down to B138 i think it is, or just put in the $ signs and drag the cell column down for excel to do the work for you.

You'll see that in A2, the number becomes less than half of 10000 (about 4872). This means that you've chipped away enough to reduce it by just over half.

Count the cells, or get B138 and add 1. And you get 139!
0 Replies

Dhemlan

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 07:08 pm
Yup. It's 139. I just got the message telling me that (for the first time) I got it right! Very Happy Exclamation
0 Replies

kimmy rules

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 07:33 pm
yepp,,it was 139 taps,,
" Congratulations! You have guessed correctly in the Lenny Conundrum game (round 136). You have won 468 NP!

Yours Sincerely,
The Neopets Team!"
0 Replies

stapel

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 09:50 pm
Dhemlan wrote:
I just got the message telling me that (for the first time) I got it right!

Congrats! (And thank you for confirming the solution!)

Eliz.
0 Replies

Eskimo

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 10:58 pm
whee...just got my 7th one right...let's see the new one
0 Replies

Intense

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 02:22 am
Quote:
While sitting around waiting for interior decorators to finish up in the scroll repository, a bunch of bored and mischievous workers decided that they'd build a catapult. When they finally finished, it was able to shoot a projectile straight up into the air. So. in a move which they later regretted, they decided to launch one of the pyramid blocks, which had a density of 2400 kilograms per cubic meter.

When the block crashed back into the catapult, smashing it to pieces, it was determined to have a velocity of 20 meters per second. Assuming that gravity in Neopia is exactly 9.90 meters per second squared, the block hit the catapult at the same elevation as it was launched from the catapult, and there was, miraculously, no air resistance acting on the block, how high, in centimeters, did the block fly above the catapult? Please round to the nearest centimeter and please, do not try this at home.
0 Replies

Boom

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 02:36 am
Heh
So people are already working on this one. Good to know. I'm new to this board, but I think I'll like it here.
0 Replies

Boom

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 02:43 am
Well, I'll be back later. My brain hurts too much to do math right now.
0 Replies

Eskimo

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 03:32 am
I'm working on it atm, hoping to get the answer back to you guys within an hour... first 250 here i come Smile
0 Replies

owlette

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 03:36 am
density is not a factor as there is no air resistance to calculate

a=v/t
v= at
t=v/a
d = 1/2 a t^2
note: a and v have opposite signs (+/-) so initial velocity equation (d = vt + 1/2 a t^2) is redundant.

where a = acceleration (9.90m/s^2)
v= velocity of 20m/s
t = time (1 sec, 2 secs etc)
d= distance travelled (m) (convert to cm at end)
0 Replies

Intense

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 04:00 am
Hmmmm... I don't get this. Sad
0 Replies

noonshiver

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 04:25 am
Quote:
density is not a factor as there is no air resistance to calculate

a=v/t
v= at
t=v/a
d = 1/2 a t^2
note: a and v have opposite signs (+/-) so initial velocity equation (d = vt + 1/2 a t^2) is redundant.

where a = acceleration (9.90m/s^2)
v= velocity of 20m/s
t = time (1 sec, 2 secs etc)
d= distance travelled (m) (convert to cm at end)

yes you are correct. density is not a factor, but you are missing out on the crucial formula: v^2=u^2+2as
where v=final velocity, in this case 20m/s
u=initial velocity, in this case 0m/s
a=acceleration, in this case 9.90m/s^2
and s=displacement, which we want to find out

substituting the values in, we get
(20)^2=0^2+2(9.90)(s)
s= 20.2m
=2020cm(rounded off)
well, at least that's wat i got... Very Happy anyone else with the same answer?
0 Replies