NeoPets Riddles (Lenny Conundrums) and Answers Here

PeckyP

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2009 06:40 pm
@starleogirl09,
There is another way that doesn't really involve any Math. But it takes some intellect to count properly. If you create somewhat of a Venn diagram counting the number of overlaps from counting quarter circles only, you may find out that you can use properties of the squares and quarter circles to count the area in the centre while subtracting the areas outside. However, it does get complicated, like solving a Rubiks cube (which I honestly think would be easier) =P.

- PeckyP -
darkiaia

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2009 06:45 pm
@PeckyP,
I'll try to explain what i did in english...
i calculated the lenght of the circle like this...PixD (D=1400 cm)
I divided that by 12
I used that number as a side of one of the inner new "triangles" and i calculated the area like this...(BxH)/2
I took that answer and multiplied by 4 and thats it!
edstock

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2009 06:48 pm
@PeckyP,
PeckyP wrote:
I just want to narrow it down for people who get that far. I'm not a silver platter (or if I am, I still need to cook in the oven more). =P lolz.

Anywho, I have to let people account for their own human error. I think this weeks correct guesses will be pretty low, so I want to keep my odds up there on big NP.

Oh, I agree. I wasn't objecting at all to your hint - just pointing out that it did leave a nice big range so people still couldn't just guess. Me, I forgot to do a symmetry doubling in my calculations, so I ended up way low and won't be taking any of the NP this week.
PeckyP

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2009 06:48 pm
@darkiaia,
It makes sense to a degree logically, but the fact that we have curved edges in our triangle gives error to your method. It can definitely get you in the ball park though.

- PeckyP -
confounded

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2009 06:49 pm
@hfjai,
I came up with something around the 154400 number as well.
0 Replies

darkiaia

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2009 06:50 pm
@PeckyP,
yes, i know...but the error is not that big if you see the numbers.
PeckyP

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2009 06:51 pm
@edstock,
edstock wrote:

Oh, I agree. I wasn't objecting at all to your hint - just pointing out that it did leave a nice big range so people still couldn't just guess. Me, I forgot to do a symmetry doubling in my calculations, so I ended up way low and won't be taking any of the NP this week.

Ah, lolz. I know what that's like. You're just fortunate you are doing it in Neopets and not on a 60% final examination like I did. =P Fortunately, they were lenient enough to give me part marks for everything and take off one point for the wrong answer (left me getting 98% instead of the perfect I deserved lolz).

- PeckyP -
DeviatedUnderworld

So I take it no one got 38605? I always did suck at math
0 Replies

starleogirl09

well good luck to everybody Smile
0 Replies

PeckyP

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2009 06:55 pm
@darkiaia,
It's not that big of a difference because of how flat the circles look from their size! If we were dealing with more rounded edges, we would definitely notice an error. =P

Annoyingly enough, whenever I hear of an area question where the area is not regular, I automatically think of integrating. It's such a pain walking around town, looking at a sign, and seeing it geometrically broken down and imagining the integration to find the area and subsequent volume. lolz.

- PeckyP -
confounded

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2009 06:59 pm
@PeckyP,
I have completely forgotten how to do integrals, and I haven't even been out of school for that long.

I found the answer doing the 1/12 circle section, subtracting the area of the 2 triangles, and then multiplying that amount by 4. Someday I'm going to have to read up on integrals again and refresh my memory.
PeckyP

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2009 07:05 pm
@confounded,
Haha. Sometimes I struggle with integrals too, but then I just remember that derivatives are just the inverse of integrals and differentiation is just so much fun that I can fudge my way through if I have to! =P I could sit and do partial differentials all day and night if there was a modest reward for it. But then, I'm a nerd and a geek, so I would gladly do any Mathematical puzzles in my leisure time.

And wouldn't you know my fiancé (<3) keeps telling me I shouldn't be doing so many Math problems when we're chilling and watching TV or something. =P

- PeckyP -
0 Replies

edstock

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2009 07:11 pm
@PeckyP,
PeckyP wrote:
Ah, lolz. I know what that's like. You're just fortunate you are doing it in Neopets and not on a 60% final examination like I did. =P Fortunately, they were lenient enough to give me part marks for everything and take off one point for the wrong answer (left me getting 98% instead of the perfect I deserved lolz).

Since speed counts in the Lenny, I sometimes don't go back and check quite as thoroughly as I should before submitting an answer. I've been aiming to move up on the high score list. I seem to have about a 50% error rate on these multiple-step calculation problems due to my hurrying - and always because of some simple, stupid error. Oh, well. On exams, I usually spent more time checking my work. Of course, I'm not sure they ever had questions quite as unspecified as these Lenny problems, anyway. I usually found on the exams that the solution method jumped out at me, unlike a lot of these problems where I have to think about it for a while. I suppose that could come from being thirty years past my calculus classes, however.
PeckyP

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2009 07:15 pm
@Jen Aside,
Jen Aside wrote:
wertyiu102 wrote:
is scamming XP... an excerpt from the neopian times issue 234

Q: I know that you're not supposed to post the answer to the Lenny Conundrum on the message boards. But what if you figure out the correct answer and then post the *wrong* answer on the message boards to trick the cheaters so they can't share in the winnings? Would that be in violation of Neopets policy? ~nochara

A: Erm... wow. The things people think of!

Well, let's see. Are you intentionally deceiving someone in order to benefit yourself and/or negatively affect the account of another user? Yup! So yes, this is scamming. And regardless of that, it's just really not a nice thing to do, now is it?

Just saying that this only applies to the Neopets website itself, where they have authority over what people are allowed to do. No one entity has control over the Internet, which is why they have a rule against telling others to go outside of Neopets, where they can't moderate what goes on and take appropriate action.

Certainly they can ASK no one post the answers here, but the Able2Know moderators don't have to do anything if someone does, and TNT can't freeze our Neopets accounts because they have no way of knowing which are ours, since our usernames here may not actually be the same as on Neopets, or we might say, "I'm borovan on Neopets!" when that's a lie.

I'm on the fence about whether anyone should give out the answer (though it's obviously okay to say, "They'll give the answer next week, just wait if you can't figure it out yourself and you NEED to know"), but that this is a contest that rewards insight and creativity, and so many people NEED to be told, "The question is 'JHUDORA HAS LIPS OF WHAT COLOUR' and the answer is 'green'"--that seems counter to the point of the contest in the first place, doesn't it? =p

I fully support providing an answer after the contest for the benefit of those who were unable to determine the answer. However, I must agree that flatly giving out answers (which I have done before) goes against the purpose of the contest. I certainly don't find that 10000 or 1000 NP makes much difference to me as I no longer actively participate in the community, save plots or events, and don't have a use for it. However, I think it is always better to allow others to work through it on their own and come to their own conclusions. It's probably my bias as a tutor, but then it is the only way that you really learn or understand what is going on.

- PeckyP -

P.S. I will be taking off for the week. Thankfully Reading Week is here and I can travel a bit before requiring to return to school. =P Have a great week everyone. =D
0 Replies

confounded

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2009 07:15 pm
@edstock,
Do you happen to know how the LC high score table works? Do you have to be top 10 or something to get another point on your total wins? Because I've been top 250 for the last few LCs and my high score has stayed exactly the same; so I've been wondering exactly how they count wins.
PeckyP

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2009 07:18 pm
@edstock,
edstock wrote:
PeckyP wrote:

Since speed counts in the Lenny, I sometimes don't go back and check quite as thoroughly as I should before submitting an answer. I've been aiming to move up on the high score list. I seem to have about a 50% error rate on these multiple-step calculation problems due to my hurrying - and always because of some simple, stupid error. Oh, well. On exams, I usually spent more time checking my work. Of course, I'm not sure they ever had questions quite as unspecified as these Lenny problems, anyway. I usually found on the exams that the solution method jumped out at me, unlike a lot of these problems where I have to think about it for a while. I suppose that could come from being thirty years past my calculus classes, however.

I get what you mean. I've often wanted to get in the high score list for the Lenny Conundrum, but my nature prevents me from being rash and answering hurriedly. But then, I guess I would rather have the right answer and not get recognition or a reward, than have the wrong answer because of a mistake I catch later.

- PeckyP -
0 Replies

PeckyP

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2009 07:20 pm
@confounded,
confounded wrote:
Do you happen to know how the LC high score table works? Do you have to be top 10 or something to get another point on your total wins? Because I've been top 250 for the last few LCs and my high score has stayed exactly the same; so I've been wondering exactly how they count wins.

I have wondered this myself. Unfortunately, I have no idea how it really works. Unless Neopets tells me directly, I wouldn't be too confident on other people's answer either. It can certainly be inferred by observation, but I would rather have the mystery than a leap-before-looking guess.

- PeckyP -
0 Replies

Loui

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2009 07:30 pm
so whats the final answer :O?
0 Replies

edstock

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2009 07:43 pm
@confounded,
confounded wrote:

Caveat: This is based on my observations and guesses and not on anything official from Neopets.

That said, I think you get 1 point the first time you get into the top 250. I got my second point (I think) when I got my gold trophy. I believe that is why it said 2xChampion under my Lenny trophy on my user lookup. I didn't get a silver trophy in between the bronze and gold, so I don't know if you would get a point for getting the silver.

When I made it onto the high score list with a score of 3, my trophy updated to 3xChampion and this week both my high score and my trophy went up to 4. I think that probably equates to two more times of earning a gold trophy. I know I need to get the answer in really fast, at least before it shows up on this board, to get a high score point. I've heard somewhere that the gold trophy positions are the top ten, but that is hearsay and I have no official basis for that. You certainly need to do better than the top 250 to get a high score point, as I've been in the top 250 many more than 4 times.

One thing I'm relatively sure about is that the number on the high score list corresponds to the NxChampion under the Lenny trophy on the user lookup, which you can verify by checking out the user lookups from the links on the high score list.
0 Replies

Stumpt

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2009 08:00 pm
So why does it say lenny conundrums answers here if there are no answers?
0 Replies