NeoPets Riddles (Lenny Conundrums) and Answers Here

monetangel

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 01:49 pm
To me it seemed like the first 2 were based counter clockwise on 12 being 0 degrees, and then once you knew that 7:30 was 315 degrees you needed to work backwards to find out where 0 degrees would be based on 7:30 being 315 degrees counter clockwise off of it, which would make 6 o'clock 0 degrees. then figure out what 9:20 would be counter clockwise from 6, does that make sense to anyone else? or am I WAY out in left field?
0 Replies

lem

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 01:50 pm
correction: at 4:00 its 240 degrees
0 Replies

monetangel

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 01:51 pm
ok well based on other people's responses I would say I was WAY out in left field and over thought this one, sorry
0 Replies

jadem

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 01:52 pm
Dats what I did. =o)
0 Replies

jadem

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 01:58 pm
monetangel wrote:
To me it seemed like the first 2 were based counter clockwise on 12 being 0 degrees, and then once you knew that 7:30 was 315 degrees you needed to work backwards to find out where 0 degrees would be based on 7:30 being 315 degrees counter clockwise off of it, which would make 6 o'clock 0 degrees. then figure out what 9:20 would be counter clockwise from 6, does that make sense to anyone else? or am I WAY out in left field?

The program I have shows whether or not the inside angle is + or - degrees. All of them, except 11:00, are -, you would need to add them (or subtract the positive form of the numbers) from 360 to find out the actual angle you need.

For example, the inside angle at 4:00 is -120. Add that to 360 (360 + -120) and you get 240.
0 Replies

lem

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 02:01 pm
Hey, you guys were first to point out it has to do with angles. I was looking at this problem with no clue as to where to start... Once you had the good starting point, and that angle calculator helped a bunch.

That's what a team work is all about.

Now, I've already submitted "Number 200" (see my previous post), but do you think it was a right format?.. Or maybe just 200 is better? I think they ask for names, and "Number xxx" is the name for each painting..... They did not ask for a number of painting to be hung next...
0 Replies

jadem

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 02:06 pm
In every conundrum that I've gotten right, I've followed the format within the question. If it asked for how many neopoints, I put XXX neopoints, etc.
0 Replies

monetangel

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 02:07 pm
lem,

I wish that I had read your suggestion on how to submit the answer before I submitted mine, once I read your post it made so much sense to not just submit the number, that's what I get for submitting too quickly
0 Replies

lem

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 02:07 pm
jadem wrote:
monetangel wrote:

The program I have shows whether or not the inside angle is + or - degrees.

Right. It shows you the acute angle between hour and minute hands. Think of it as the shortest distance between the two. If you have to move clockwise, it's positive distance, if counter clockwise, it's a negative. But in the problem it's clearly shown on examples, that they are looking for the positive distance only based on a 360degrees... So, in case with your program, if the angle is greater than 180 degrees, it would always show a negative. Mind you -120 degrees, and 200 degrees are exactly the same angle if you draw it on a graph paper (or observe on the watch). It's just the direction you are moving to that changes.
0 Replies

jadem

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 02:08 pm
See, I have a BA in English. As soon as I was done with my required Math, I quickly forgot about all of that.

It's sad too, because I always got A's and B's in Trig and Calc in high school. Embarrassed
0 Replies

lem

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 02:11 pm
monetangel wrote:
lem,

I wish that I had read your suggestion on how to submit the answer before I submitted mine, once I read your post it made so much sense to not just submit the number, that's what I get for submitting too quickly

I'm not 100% sure. On one hand this is what I get from reading the question. On the other hand they suggest:

Quote:
(Please use keywords, and keep guesses under 50 characters. Also, note that the more extra information you put in your answer, the less likely it will be tagged as a correct one. So please, don't submit any more information than simply your answer.)

This is why I did not state "this is how you must submit", but asked, if my reasoning seems good enough. Maybe you're right and I'm wrong. We'll see in about a week... Or they could take both answers, as I remember reading somewhere that they try to work out the correct ones as much as possible.
0 Replies

lem

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 02:14 pm
jadem wrote:
In every conundrum that I've gotten right, I've followed the format within the question. If it asked for how many neopoints, I put XXX neopoints, etc.

Did you put word "neopoints" in last two? I didn't, and I was credited with correct answers for both. If you did, then it may well be the case that they will take both answers. Unless they think that word "Number" MUST be there because that's the name of the painting....
0 Replies

jadem

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 02:43 pm
lem wrote:
jadem wrote:

Did you put word "neopoints" in last two? I didn't, and I was credited with correct answers for both. If you did, then it may well be the case that they will take both answers. Unless they think that word "Number" MUST be there because that's the name of the painting....

I put neopoints in both.

In all honesty, I think they just look for the number when they check the answers. I'm sure they have some sort of automated script that pulls out the numerals in an answer (if it's asking for a number).
0 Replies

stapel

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 04:04 pm
"at cousins"?
royaltyloyalty wrote:
What painting will the artist hang on the wall at cousins?

Um... What time is represented by "at cousins"?

Eliz.
0 Replies

jadem

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 04:24 pm
Re: "at cousins"?
stapel wrote:
royaltyloyalty wrote:
What painting will the artist hang on the wall at cousins?

Um... What time is represented by "at cousins"?

Eliz.

It's suppsed to be "at 9:20"
0 Replies

stoodder

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 05:37 am
monetangel wrote:

hey guys i think he right, what i did is put 160 for my answer. see what i think they are doing is whereveer the minute hand is where 0 degreess is located, and then they take the counter clockwise angle to the hour hand, it seems to hold true for eveyrhting else.... and since 20 is 1/3 of 60 i made the hour hand move an extra 1/3 of 30 which is 10 so 150 + 10 = 160... and thgat is my reasoning cuz none o fyour stuff made sense tome XD
0 Replies

stoodder

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 06:03 am
ugh wait a sec... i think you guys r right ahh i screwed up *tear* and i thought i had that one tooo... i was supposed to subtract the 160 from 360... well atleast i udnerstand it now haha
0 Replies

InvisibleFlan

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 12:40 am
Anyone know the answer to this? I am starting to despise Lenny.

In the Art Gallery is a new conceptual art piece. The artist created a huge pile different paintings; periodically he picks up one of the paintings and hangs it on the wall, and adjusts it.

At 11:00, the painting titled "Number 30" was hung.

At 4:00, the painting titled "Number 240" was hung.

At 7:30, the painting titled "Number 315" was hung.

What painting will the artist hang on the wall at 9:20?
0 Replies

InvisibleFlan

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 12:42 am
OH shoot, you know what? I didn't look far enough back in the topic...sorry ignore my last post...
0 Replies

alnat11

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 02:20 pm
Woo Hoo!!!! Very Happy

Congratulations! You have guessed correctly in the Lenny Conundrum game (Round 121). We have given you a Blue Clockwork Grundo, an Avatar, and 1247 NP!

And I thought I'd lost out cos I didn't put ''Number 200'' just put 200 so it shows they do accept answers not in the exact format.
0 Replies