0

double negation

meta737

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2017 02:33 pm
Hello!
In one of the authentic textbooks I've cme across with the following sentence: The guidebooks, none of which I actually never bothered to read at all, were soon conveniently 'lost'.
And I just can't comprehend the meaning if double negation is used. Is it even possible in this case to put 'none' and 'never' together?
Thanks in advance for your answer.

centrox

2  
Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2017 03:05 pm
@meta737,
meta737 wrote:
Is it even possible in this case to put 'none' and 'never' together?

No. The sentence is wrong and should be "The guidebooks, none of which I actually ever bothered to read at all, were soon conveniently 'lost'.
meta737

1  
Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2017 03:09 pm
@centrox,
Thanks. Now it makes sense.
centrox

2  
Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2017 03:39 pm
@meta737,
"The guidebooks, none of which I actually ever bothered to read at all, were soon conveniently 'lost'.
The sentence is poorly written. Too many intensifiers - actually, ever, and at all are unnecessary and can be removed without affecting the meaning. Clumsy writing.
camlok

1  
Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2018 11:33 pm
@centrox,

An opinion which has no linguistic merit.