I was watching for this

Letty

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 02:22 pm
and this, of course:

Erich von Daniken's Chariots of the Gods is a work of monumental importance--the first book to introduce the shocking theory that ancient Earth had been visited by aliens. This world-famous bestseller has withstood the test of time, inspiring countless books and films, including the author's own popular sequel, The Eyes of the Sphinx. But here is where it all began--von Daniken's startling theories of our earliest encounters with alien worlds, based upon his lifelong studies of ancient ruins, lost cities, potential spaceports, and a myriad of hard scientific facts that point to extraterrestrial intervention in human history. Most incredible of all, however, is von Daniken's theory that we ourselves are the descendants of these galactic pioneers--and the archeological discoveries that prove it... * An alien astronaut preserved in a pyramid
* Thousand-year-old spaceflight navigation charts
* Computer astronomy from Incan and Egyptian ruins
* A map of the land beneath the ice cap of Antarctica
* A giant spaceport discovered in the Andes
Includes remarkable photos that document mankind's first contact with aliens at the dawn of civilization.
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 02:28 pm
I don't know about you guys, but when I first heard the news on boxing day, I was shocked, but not overly so. But then as the scale of the thing unfolded...I just became more and more incredulous! I remember watching a TV programme a cuppla years back (Horizon - reputable Brit science programme) about Tsunamis and the terrible devistation that would occur if just such a quake struck. It frightened me. Going back to Kristies bad dream...I really feel that the events of the past few days, and the difficulty of comprehending the scale of said events, will have had a psychological effect on most of us, sleep is bound to be disrupted. I don't think I'm being over sensitive about this.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 02:40 pm
I hear you smorgs…it is frightening.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 02:45 pm
Sarah, and all. When the hurricanes hit Florida, I had several fleeting moments of wondering how my little corner of the world was so fortunate. Then I thought "Why Me?" Then, when I looked at the other parts of the state that were ravaged I thought, "Why them?"

I wonder if anyone has wandered into the prophesies of Nostradamus.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 02:46 pm
On other parts of the internet, people are damning God for the earthquakes…but the ones that are finding their loved ones alive…are thanking him.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 02:56 pm
colorbook, I have heard it postulated, that survivors of such a disaster have a great deal of trouble dealing with things later on.

Magus, Robert Frost's brief poem, "Fire and Ice" is one of his most insightful poems, I think--desire and hate and fate.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 04:02 pm
Incidentally, if we want to do what we can, here's a list of legitimate places to donate money:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20041230/ap_on_re_as/tsunami_aid&cid=516&ncid=2337

Would you believe that there are scam artists out there posing as charitable agencies?

Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 07:16 pm
colorbook wrote:
People are seriously grieving and thinking irrationally…they have a need to place the blame on someone or something in order to make some sense out of it.

It makes you wonder if Faith in God(s) is really worth it.

For secular people, there is no need to blame, or to try to make "sense" of it. It's just a random event.
0 Replies