your musical tastes

Gargamel

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 04:12 pm
WOW.

That is one HELL of a first concert!!!

I would love to have seen Chuck Berry back in the day, and Jerry Lee.

It seems that performance, back in the day, was so much more about the music.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 04:13 pm
http://www.nottinghamrecordfair.co.uk/images/LPs/New1-1-04/EVERLY%20BROTHERS.jpg

This is the UK issue. Mine was on Cadence
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 04:15 pm
I'm only 25, but the first song I learned to sing as a baby was "Wake Up Little Susie."

I love Cathy's Clown, too.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 04:17 pm
first concert you ever saw/ who, where, and when?

The Beach Boys-1966
Opening act was the Mugwumps...anybody know who was in that band?

For my 16th birthday my folks bought tickets to a Jefferson Airplane concert...groovy
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 06:09 pm
Gargamel wrote:
I'm only 25, but the first song I learned to sing as a baby was "Wake Up Little Susie."

I love Cathy's Clown, too.

I remember being about 4 years old and loving with a passion the song Cecilia by Simon and Garfunkel. I sang it every chance I got and knew the words. I heard it again years later as an adult and laughed my ass off at the idea of a 4 year old singing singing the praises of a woman who sleeps around. Obviously I had no idea at the time what the song was about.
0 Replies

deezee

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 12:25 pm
panzade wrote:
first concert you ever saw/ who, where, and when?

The Beach Boys-1966
Opening act was the Mugwumps...anybody know who was in that band?

For my 16th birthday my folks bought tickets to a Jefferson Airplane concert...groovy

i saw the mugwumps (early mama's and papa's group) when they used to play near my house at a few different places/clubs. i also saw the beach boys around this time but their opening act was the 4 seasons. i distinctly remember frankie valli being pissed that they were anyone's opening act. before the beatles came along they were basically the number 1 group in the country. he made some pretty disparaging remarks about the beatles and about having to open for anyone.
thanks for the record cover panzade. i totally forgot what it looked like. i just remember thinking how cool they were on that motorcycle. i also have the cadence version. though mine is way too scatched to even think of playing, i still can't part with any of my vinyl.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 01:43 pm
http://www.dennydoherty.com/images/mugwumps.jpg

Mama Cass, Doherty , Zal Yanovsky
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 11:03 pm
best concert you ever saw?

The New Yardbirds with Jimmy Page, London 1970http://zeppelingraffiti.free.fr/images/Rp_point2.jpg
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 11:35 pm
1. what was the first single you ever owned?

Either "Spinning Wheel" by Blood, Sweat & Tears, or "Bosom of Abraham" by Elvis Presley.

2. what was the first album/cd you ever owned?

"Turn of a Friendly Card" by Alan Parsons Project.

3. favorite band/musical group of all time?

Pink Floyd

4. favorite male singer?

Very tough to narrow down. Harry Chapin comes to mind.

5. favorite female singer?

Tie: Natalie Merchant/Loreena McKennitt/

6. first concert you ever saw/ who, where, and when?

My first "real" concert was when I was in my early 20's in the early '90s, and I saw "Kansas" in Topeka, Kansas. They were in town for a show in front of the home crowd. Opening acts were the "Salty Iquanas" and "The Lemonheads".

7. best concert you ever saw?

I saw Page & Plant in Kansas City, and that was pretty good.

8. band/musical act that you never got to see live and wish you had.

Pink Floyd

9. favorite song of all time?

It's either "God Only Knows" by the Beach Boys, or "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" by Gordon Lightfoot, or "Bridge Over Troubled Water" by Simon and Garfunkel

10. favorite album/cd of all time?

"Dark Side of the Moon" by Pink Floyd
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 11:38 pm
"It's either "God Only Knows" by the Beach Boys, or "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" by Gordon Lightfoot, or "Bridge Over Troubled Water" by Simon and Garfunkel"

You have a musical ear for nice melodies Tico
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 11:39 pm

NIN march of the pigs, I think

smashing pumpkins melancholy sadness I think....that's a tough question though

hey, this one varies monthly!! It's so hard to pick one, I couldn't even pick one genre...but how about "Doves"

4. favorite male singer?

mike patton

elizabeth fraser

primus. I got free tickets from a friend a couple years ago. that's the only concert I've ever been too...concerts are not really my thing

that'd have to be numero uno above...

well I don't really do live things....I'll just say Gregory Dougles because I know someone ELSE would answer this question with his name

I don't have one! But I'll pick something...how about Alice from the Stealing Beauty Soundtrack performed by DCD and cocteau twins

the doves' Lost Souls could be it...it has certainly survived the test of time for me, but I'm really loving Morcheeba's Parts of the Process right now! (their only cd worth getting)
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 11:45 pm
panzade wrote:
"It's either "God Only Knows" by the Beach Boys, or "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" by Gordon Lightfoot, or "Bridge Over Troubled Water" by Simon and Garfunkel"

You have a musical ear for nice melodies Tico

Thanks. I have eclectic tastes in music.

Would have loved to have heard you last night, Pan. Or any time, for that matter.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 11:51 pm
thanks...wasn't a great show...but I'm hoping we'll do well in'05
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 11:57 pm
I'm bad at remembering this stuff, but I'll give this a shot.....

We Will Rock You/? - Queen
Electric Ladyland or The Doors self-titled. I had lots of records around the house which belonged to family members and I had lots of taped records made by my boyfriend in high school.
Well, one of my first favs who I still love today is Fleetwood Mac. But I've also long loved Black Sabbath in most of their incarnations.
4. favorite male singer?
Too many to decide
Debbie Harry....maybe. Or Lucinda Williams.
The earliest ticket stubs I still have are for Ozzy (spelled Ozzie) at the Garden on 1/21 1984.
Jeez, I was usually so f'd up, it's hard to recall. Maybe that's why I say my fav was Motorhead. It was a small club, I had maybe one beer, I was crushed up against the stage at Lemmy's feet, surround by good friends. Or maybe it was John Fogarty because the venue was as awsome as he and his band was.
The Ramones, The Pretenders, Van Halen (with Roth, of course)..... too many.
9. favorite song of all time? Can't say
10. favorite album/cd of all time? Can't say
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 10:20 am
Lucinda Williams?...
kewl
0 Replies

tagged lyricist

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 05:36 pm
I think I'm too weird for this conversation, besides the fact that i think I'm the only person who listens to a very large amount of acid ajzz, break beats, down tempo, french house, nu jazz, trip hop, deep house, elctro, hip hop and lounge.

I mean look I love my jazz, mo town, soul, funk, disco, rock, punk, rock n roll, ska and folk, but my staple is Thievery Corparation thrown amongst St Germain, Herbert and the soundtracks of my favourite movies. I mean nothing beats a drive around chapmans peak with the Richest man in Babylon on the stereo or Telepopmusic's Breathe if you can't find that Herbets Bodily Functions will do.

I think I started clubbing too young it warped my mind.
0 Replies

tagged lyricist

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 05:44 pm
to me guys like Kruder and Dorfmeister, Zero 7, Rjd2, Aim and Thunderball all represent a form music that kinda represents me. It's like this: I'm a citizen of the world and I love some good old fashione miles davis just as much as I dig my queen, blur, michael buble or the clash.

So we get these guys (dj's like Rjd2 and Aim who just love music straight) and they take riffs from james brown or whoever and mix in some swinging Mos Def type lyrics over it and perhaps a drum pattern he found on Beuna vista social club record some where' who knows and he creates something that's so right yet so eccletic it's like post modern music making if you know what i mean. This melting pot of style is kind like breaking all the rules not only in the way it gets made but also the mixing of diffrent genres. Now not all this music is sample based, stuff like cinematic orchestra and Night mares on wax are all orginal compistions featuring different musicians and artists, but they still crossing over stylistically and borrowing from everywhere.

I'm melting pot kinda girl so i releate to this.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 12:33 pm
I found myself reading and re-reading your posts tagged. It gave me the impetus to think about where music is heading.
A couple of cut and pastes that I agree with:

The future of music is unknown. But whatever it is, it will be swayed, as usual, by technology. Carver Mead, a computer-chip pioneer, advises us to ''listen to the technology'' to see where it is headed. If we listen to the technology of music, we might hear these possibilities:

* Songs are cheap; what's expensive are the indexable, searchable, official lyrics.

* On auction sites, music lovers buy and sell active playlists, which arrange hundreds of songs in creative sequences. The lists are templates that reorder songs on your own disc.

* You subscribe to a private record label whose agents troll the bars, filtering out the garbage, and send you the best underground music based on your own preferences.

* The most popular band in the world produces only very good ''jingles,'' just as some of the best directors today produce only very good commercials.

* The catalog of all musical titles makes more money than any of the record companies.

* A generator box breeds background music tailored to your personal tastes; the music is supplied by third-party companies that buy the original songs from the artists.

* Because you like to remix dance tunes, you buy the versions of songs that are remix-ready in all 24 tracks.

* You'll pay your favorite band to stream you its concert as it is playing it, even though you could wait and copy it at no cost later.

* The varieties of musical styles explode. They increase faster than we can name them, so a musical Dewey Decimal System is applied to each work to aid in categorizing it.

* For a small fee, the producers of your favorite musician will tweak her performance to exquisitely match the acoustics of your living room.

* So many amateur remixed versions of a hit tune are circulating on the Net that it's worth $5 to you to buy an authenticated official version.

* For bands that tour, giving away their music becomes a form of cheap advertising. The more free copies that are passed around, the more tickets they sell.

* Musicians with the highest status are those who have a 24-hour Net channel devoted to streaming only their music.

* Royalty-free stock music (like stock photography), available for any use, takes off with the invention of a great music search engine, which makes it possible to find music ''similar to this music'' in mood, tempo and sound.

* The best-selling item for most musicians is the ''whole package deal,'' which contains video clips, liner notes, segregated musical tracks, reviews, ads and artwork -- all stored on a well-designed artifact in limited editions.

* Despite the fact that with some effort you can freely download the song you think you want in a format you think will work for your system, most people choose to go to a reliable retailer online and use the retailer's wonderful search tools and expert testimonials to purchase what they want because it is simply easier and a better experience all around.

In the end, the future of music is simple: more choices. As the possibilities of music expand, so do our own.

And...
The future: a world of musicians
From a creative perspective, where I see all this going is that music becomes like language. Just as no one owns the English language, no one will own what music will become.

The reason no one can own the English language is because of the number of people that have contributed to it, molded it, and made it grow and adapt--it's either owned by everyone or no one at all. It's a continuous and complex dynamic system, evolving in a non-linear manner, and growing from the previous changes created by feedback loops. The same will apply to music in the future: a song you write may involve so many contributions and meta-contributions that to claim exclusive rights to it would be a joke.

Like a language, music will be a collage of ideas, notes, chords, and sounds from many many different creative minds. The term "collage music" already exists to describe such a phenomenon, pioneered, in part, by the views of artists like Negativeland and John Oswald and embraced by genres like techno. Music will be the communication that begins where conventional language ends.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 01:15 pm
Re: your musical tastes
deezee wrote:
i am not sure if i should have posted this as a poll but here goes.
as a newbie here i was wondering about the people who post on this site. to me there is nothing more revealing than someone's musical tastes and i am always interested in that. so if you have the time, please answer the following questions and maybe we can learn more about each other. also, feel free to add any questions that you think apply to this category and i might have left out.

4. favorite male singer?

thanks for your time.

1. Hazy. Probably some rock cover by Los Belmont
2. Revolver, The Beatles
3. Frank Zappa & The Mothers of Invention
4. Robert Plant
5. Janis Joplin
6. Gabor Szabo, Thelonius Monk, Herbie Mann; Mexico City 1970
7. Toss up between Incredible String Band (March 11, 1974) and Eric Clapton (October 19, 2001)
8. Woodstock
9. Caruso, the Lucio Dalla version is the best IMHO.
10. Changes tremendously. I've got several favorite albums. Today I propose Beggar's Banquet, The Rolling Stones. Tomorrow, who knows.
0 Replies