Lost In A Maze

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 02:27 am
Posted this in Trivia section before I noticed this... So it seems it may better fit here...

You enter a portal running away from the front end of the portal (the side you entered through). You turn around to ensure the portal is still there and you decide to take a walk around, remembering every turn you make.

You try to go back, but you fear you have seen many of the same corners over and over again, you are lost.

You soon come to all wall etched with the numbers:

286 16 52 31 44 44 31 16 52 35628147

You need to use these clues, to make 8 turns that will lead you back to the portal.

Possible turns you may make are Up, Down, Left and Right

Good luck =)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 512 • Replies: 3
No top replies

markr

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 02:39 pm
Theories:
16, 52, 31, 44 are codes for U, D, L, and R (not necessarily in that order).
35628147 indicates the order to execute the preceding eight moves (31, 44, 16, 16, 52, 31, 52, 44).
286 is the processor used in a PC/AT. I tried to relate the direction codes with keyboard scan codes for the arrow keys, but no luck.
0 Replies

bobdabuilder

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 05:23 pm
Your first two theories are correct, but the third one is a little off...

I'll throw out a hint... The first number [286] is there as a bit of a distraction... Notice how it shows zero relation to anything else exept that it is the sum of the 8 sets of numbers in the middle.

Also, do not try to solve the riddle spatially or practically by placing yourself inside the maze because you will probably end up confused as you may end up going forward then bacwards, thus seeming to bring you back to where you start. Instead take a more cryptographical approach to it.
0 Replies

markr

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 08:06 pm
I'm stuck trying to map U, D, L, R to 31, 44, 16, 52.
0 Replies