Haunted houses & lurking spirits

msolga

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2004 09:48 pm
A friend of a friend of mine was telling us yesterday about regular "hauntings" of his house. Apparently, often in the wee small hours of the morning, he senses a "presence" in his bedroomroom & sees a shadowy figure moving toward him, then looking down at him. He said at times like this he's felt totally immobilized until the presence has left. It was like there was something physically preventing him from moving. At other times, & witnessed by other folk, he said there were knocking sounds, doors opening & shutting, the sound of footsteps in the passage, etc.
Now, he is not ordinarily an unhinged or fanciful person, so what he said made me wonder ... He has actually swapped the room he sleeps in to avoid his unwanted visitor.

Any theories or explanations of what could be going on in his house?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 768 • Replies: 13
No top replies

msolga

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2004 09:49 pm
I swear I didn't make this up.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2004 09:53 pm
I know you didn't. Years ago now, my cousin and her husband lived in an old place on an army base that they swore was "haunted" and when her sister came to visit, she independently decided it was. Boots walking across the attic kind of thing. Both cousins remain convinced even now.

Me, I am a firm skeptic.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2004 10:07 pm
I don't understand it, either, but I have an open mind. I've never experienced anything like this myself, but T, the owner of the house, is a sensible, rational person. He was quite calm & rational when he talked about the "visitations". Said they really frightened him, enough to avoid what used to be his bedroom as much as possible .... certainly not sleep in there.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2004 10:08 pm
In my experience, spirits haunt my psyche, not my house.

Like Hamlet's father I'm doomed to walk the night until I get my affairs--and the aftermath of my affairs-- organized.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2004 10:27 pm
Oh, I have a few on those myself, Noddy! Very Happy
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2004 10:29 pm
msolga--

Better to haunt in this life than the next.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2004 10:43 pm
Yes, indeed, Noddy!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2004 11:06 pm
Ooooh, sounds creepy, Olga. What did he think was the cause? Is it a new place (to him)?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2004 11:14 pm
Hi Piff! Very Happy
No, he's been there for 12 years now. I'm not sure if the problem was there when he first moved in or not. The house was built in 1922 & has lots of character. He has no idea of what the cause could be, but it's certainly bothered him!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2004 11:35 pm
So he's lived in the house for 12 years. When did he switch rooms? (This is a scientific study!) Just wondering if it started to bother him right away or built up.

Creepy to think about a "presence" looking down on you while you sleep. Ugh.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 12:02 am
I'm not sure, Piffka. Probably about 4 years ago when his youngest daughter left home & her room became free, I'd guess. Prior to that, he was known to sleep on the couch from time to time.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 04:28 pm
Have you ever stayed there?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 12:54 am
No, Piffka, T is the ex-husband of a very good friend of mine, W. They are very civilized & have remained friends despite their separation ... which is how I come to be visiting his house on Boxing Day.

I spoke to W today on the phone today & brought up the topic of T's "ghost". She wasn't sure of how long the ghost had been there, but I found out that it has also been known to turn on the television & lights in the wee small hours of the morning, amongst other tricks. T's new partner has has slept in T's old bedroom, too ... she's heard the ghost .. the foot-steps, lights & TV going on, etc ... but apparently she hasn't been directly approached by it. It seems to only want to interact with T.
0 Replies