Teacher Wannabes, Usetabes, and Ares: Questions, please.

Lash

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 07:29 pm
Ralph-- I think wonderful people teach. However, I think people use different criteria when choosing a career. I think teaching is the noble choice, the sacrificial choice...I could come up with several positive adjectives.

A "smart" choice, in my vernacular, is more mercenary. That's why I alluded to teaching not being a "smart" choice.

I think very highly of teachers.

That new kid, lilk part deux is gonna b a teecher. She's incredible.

Shapeless, I think that's a great idea. If things work the way I plan, my first day in all of my classes will include a video about careers and lifestyles--to try to show them why they go to school every day....to make it relevant.
0 Replies

littlek part deux

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 07:57 pm
Not as incredible as Lash. By the way, that last post of mine was supposed to be "<me>" - dunno what happened!
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 08:14 pm
What happened to that other little k girl?
0 Replies

littlek part deux

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 08:17 pm
Well........ I have moved, am using a different connection and a different laptop, so I am guessing the problem lies therein. Jespah has offered her help, but I am too burnt out and POd about the patchy connection to figure out the helpdesk bit of a2k. So, I'll wait. Meanwhile, I am part deux. I'm glad no one doubts my authenticity (with typos like mine, who would?).
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 08:20 pm
Yeah. Something similar happened to me. If you begin acting un'lilk'like, I'll be onto to ye!!

Hows school goin'??
0 Replies

littlek part deux

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 08:24 pm
<grin>

My computer-life is unfunctional -- school is a bit scary right now. I have a 20-page research paper (heavy on the research) due on July 2nd. Without my computer, without a fuinctional connection, and while working full-time, I don't know how I can can swing this paper...... So, that's my only big issue with school. I loved the human development class (done with class-time, need to finish this research paper) and the literacy course which is up next seems promising.

What's happening with you. I've been so out of the loop!
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 08:29 pm
I'm wrapping up my final semester before transferring. Statistics is kicking my tail. Human Growth and Development is not the piece of cake I thought it would be.

I B TIRED!!!

(Still not crashing in the floor with the dogs like my friend LilK the First, but I'm getting close.)

I have orientation in Athens Friday.

<me excited!!!!!>

Sorry about the puter!! What a sucky time for that to happen. Hope everything turns out ok. Get some sexy guy to let you use his.... :wink:
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 03:26 pm
Littlek-for-confused:

Scroll to the bottom of the page.

There are little blue words along the bottom of the page.

Two of these little blue words are "contact us".

I know finding the mouse is hard, but you are a woman who can do incredible feats of derring do.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 05:48 pm
shapeless -- I'm actually using something akin to your technique in my job search. When I first gained a teaching certificate, in Michigan in the late 60s and early 70s, the left wing students, who were desperately trying to improve education, put forth the idea that if one were to teach, one should know their subject and these people majored in English rather than Teaching English.

I point out that I have a master's in English but I do skip the left wing part.
Michigan at that time mandated prospective English teachers take Shakespeare, Amer Lit 1830-65 and one upper level class each in expository writing and grammar, in addition to the 30 hour major. We opted for the 23 hour course sequence in education rather than a major. On paper, the difference looks smaller than it was.

I also tell school supers that literature is studied not so much to keep abreast of the dominant culture but to teach students effective self-expression, cause and effect, how to sequence and how to better understand written communications from instructions for setting up a home appliance (that's really not true) to political speeches.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 06:24 pm
plainoldme wrote:
I also tell school supers that literature is studied not so much to keep abreast of the dominant culture but to teach students effective self-expression...

I can sympathize with that. However much we may love whatever it is we teach, it's been my experience that telling a student he or she should learn such-and-such because such-and-such is worth learning for its own sake is a surefire way to make the student tune out. It'd be great if the student does eventually come to agree, but it's just not something we can make happen--not directly, anyway. The student has to find out on his or her own.

My field is music, and I try to impress upon the students early on that music doesn't exist in a vacuum, that like everything else it is encoded with human values and is a document of history--so that to learn about music is to learn about ourselves. (Admittedly, I like to use sneaky examples like Orff's Carmina Burana, which students probably know from TV commercials but probably don't know was also a staple of Nazi rallies.) Not everyone agrees with this view, of course, and I can usually count on there being a student or two who will try to defend the music on principle. So much the better... it means they're engaged in the material.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2006 10:53 am
shapeless -- How is your geographic area doing in the maintaining of teaching art and music? I just hate that those are the first things trimmed from budgets.

Kids need to think in different ways. While so much of what goes on in schools involves reading and, to a lesser degree than in previous generations, memorization, it is so good for them to have music and art, which involves emotion and creativity and gives the mind a rest from thinking in those straightforward, academic ways.

Kids also need music, art, literature and single person or pair sports like running, golf and tennis as an investment in their own futures.

While someone may not be talented enough to develop a career playing in a symphony orchestra, perhaps, school music may open up the possibility and the voice enough to lead to a life long hobby in community theatre, or, may lead them to play keyboards or guitar enough to slough off tensions at the end of the day.

Music, art and non-team sports are for personal fulfillment.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 02:10 pm
Quote:
How is your geographic area doing in the maintaining of teaching art and music? I just hate that those are the first things trimmed from budgets.

Compared to other places, it's pretty good. I'm fortunate enough to be teaching in an area that has a lively cultural and artistic scene. I'm also lucky to be teaching at a school that believes in the ability of music and the arts to cultivate a number of valuable skills: as I mentioned, I think music is a rich way to learn about history and culture, giving it a spin that can't be gotten from reading about wars and such in textbooks (though that's important too); it's also a great way to develop writing skills because the task of using words to describe something words don't describe very well is extremely difficult and commensurately rewarding.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 04:39 pm
If only more people understood how much music and art does for kids. Even if the only (and I am not belittling the value of relaxation) thing a kid gets out those classes is relaxation, boy, that's worth a lot!
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2006 12:52 pm
This article from today's NY Times seemed pertinent:

Guggenheim Study Suggests Arts Education Benefits Literacy Skills
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 08:42 am
Coming from less rarified sources: Dr. Phil and his foundation recently gifted a group with a name something Urban Performers -------------. As Dr. Phil said when kids reach 12 or 13, they begin looking for something to join and it is better for them to be in a band or choir than a gang.

My former husband disapproved when I bought our then four year old son an easel for CHristmas. Frankly, one of my favorite Christmases the one when everyone of my aunts and uncles bought me a painting set: five in all. Glorious!
Lash

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 05:00 pm
@plainoldme,
Wow. My last post here was a LONG time ago. So much really fascinating stuff has happened.

My philosophy about classroom discipline has really changed. I'll come back later (I need a shower) and see if I can scare up the opinions of the other resident educators. Also,...lesson plans, standards, teaching methods...I'd LOVE to hear what you guys are doing!!!
roger

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 06:34 pm
@Lash,
Back to the 'ol shackles and whip, eh Lash?
littlek

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 08:16 pm
Ack! 2 more weeks until school starts! You're harshing my buzz!
ossobuco

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 08:52 pm
Did Miklos ever answer? Or JLN?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2009 11:10 am
@littlek,
Kris---SORRY! Put your fingers in your ears and sing "lalalalalala' for 2 more weeks! (giggling) But, THEN, I want to talk to you!
0 Replies