Reality: "Is real really real"

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 06:30 pm
Many people believe that reality is subject to their view on reality. Although I believe that reality is a constant factor or an absolute. If you were to believe that jumping of a tall building won't do anything to you, and you jump, reality will shortly tell you the opposite. Now, I believe that a person's view on reality is limited since reality is much greater than the individual. We only see a portion of what reality is, although that doesn't mean that what we see is reality in whole. So my question remains, is what you think is real, really real?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 901 • Replies: 13
No top replies

doyouknowhim

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 06:36 pm
Yes ?
0 Replies

SmokingFire

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 06:39 pm
I don't think so...I believe that our reality as humans is only a portion of the whole scheme of reality. The more you grow, the more you grow into reality(and not meaning growing physically, but mentally and spiritually). The bigger you are the more you can observe of reality.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 06:44 pm
I used to think long and hard about reality, but then I figured, "who cares, i'm living my life the eay I want to and that's all that really matters". It is an interesting topic though, and it probably always will be!
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 06:49 pm
This whole question comes down to the definition of "real". This is a question about language, not about reality.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2004 05:52 am
And what is language Einherjar if not the description of the world we live in? God is also just a word. What you put in it is what matters.

Real- whatever floats your boat.
This is true because no matter what you say I can always say BUT...
0 Replies

val

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 06:10 am
Cyracuz

To me, reality is the interaction between us and all external stimulations we are able to perceive and configurate. We perceive things in three space dimensions and in time. We perceive things as multiple and related in causal relations. That is the way we deal with external stimulations, and we cannot reach any reality external and independent. We have our own reality, the reality of human beings.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 02:00 pm
I could agree with you val if you went so far as to say the reality of the individual. (or if that's what you mean) Smile
0 Replies

val

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 06:06 am
Cyracuz

Do you mean the individual person?
If that is the case, I was talking of reality according to our specie. We are not different in the way we react and configure the external stimulus. Our nervous system, our brain, are identical.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 10:14 am
So you mean that the reality of a human being is different from that of a horse for instance? And further that the reality of animals within the species is identical to all individuals? Maybe. But even within a species there are differences. A leader of a society has another reality than a follower.

Another participant here at A2K has gone to some lengths to explain to me the difference between reality and the perception of it. I think it applies here. Unfortunately the perception of reality is all we really have to define what is real.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 02:03 pm
Quote:
So you mean that the reality of a human being is different from that of a horse for instance? And further that the reality of animals within the species is identical to all individuals? Maybe. But even within a species there are differences. A leader of a society has another reality than a follower.

The reality of a horse is no different than the reality of a man. We all live in the same place. It's just that their perception of reality is different.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 08:19 am
And still reality is relative. And I don't mean the perception of it, although it's relative too.
0 Replies

val

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 07:49 am
Ray

You said that "the reality of a horse is no different than the reality of a man".
From the point of view of man's reality it is true.
But, do you know the point of view of the horse?

And "we all live in the same place". What place is that? The place your nervous system, your brain, your language have created? Then you must believe that men are some kind of Gods.
To me, we are not gods. We are evolutive entities that developped some skills. We are in a certain way, and not in another way.
We can only perceive things in three space dimensions. Would you say that reality - not only our reality - has three space dimensions? If yes, how do you know it?
0 Replies

Max209

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 08:55 am
Ray wrote:

The reality of a horse is no different than the reality of a man. We all live in the same place. It's just that their perception of reality is different.

if you mean reality is a standard thing almost, unchanging in a way but the way we look up on the world is what changes then i can accept that (assuming that is what you meant)
but we can never really debate about this because perception is an individual concept for example:-
Person A: - may think that a cancerous tumour is "evil" as it kills the person that has it
where as
Person B: - may think that a cancerous tumour is not evil it is just doing what is has set out to do and in fact we are evil by "treating it" ie killing it

but at the end of the day it is a cancerous tumour and the no matter how we look at it or feel about it, it will always be that until it ceases to exist
and we can never completely know someones perception of something because we cant see it through their eyes or hear through their ears etc etc ....

Shocked whoo gald i got that off my chest Shocked
0 Replies