In Praise of Manchester - Centre Of My Universe!

smorgs

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2004 02:31 am
Anthony Wilson, or Anthony H. Wilson.....is a knobhead. He started life as a journalist (local TV) He then started Factory records and was part owner in the Hacienda Club....he was known as a bit of a snob and a proper know it all, who paid peanuts to the bands signed to factory. There's a film been made of that era called '24hour Party People'......given the bands that you like....you soo have to rent it and enjoy, Happy Mondays, New Order.......there all there, it's great. It also gives compelling reasons to think of Anthony Wilson as a complete knobhead. Saddle Bags are just that........they go over horses and the shoulders of knobheads! It just looked and sounded so pretentious he was talking really loudly in a posh voice saying "a pound of your finest apples, young man" then putting his shopping in the saddle bags over his shoulder - as we say in the North - he's a pillock! Watch the film Ticomaya, it's right up yer passage! (as we say). :wink:
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2004 08:32 am
A knobhead is a dickhead. (see under Wilson, A)

Happy Christmas. Dinner will be ready in one hour, I've got my beer, (Stella and Beck's), so I'm OK.
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2004 12:26 pm
Happy Christmas McTag, Family have gone, it's snowing and me and Mr S are having a nice glass of Madeira and are about to play 'Beat the Into' game (pressy). Very Happy
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 10:50 am
Hey Sarah, missing you. Today I went to the Museum of Science and Industry with my brother's family, youngest is three.
There you can learn that Model T Fords were assembled at Trafford Park in 1908.

You should visit Letty's WA2K Radio thread where popular and light music is often discussed.

I'm going to post a piece about the Ukelele Orchestra of Great Britain, which I have just heard on CD. My brother is a bit zany. You should hear their version of MacArthur Park.....what can I say? Unbelievable.
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 04:54 pm
Hiya McTag, Happy New Year to you, all the best for 2005. I will check out the thread. Did you by any chance see 'Flashmob, The Opera' or 'My Shakespeare' over the holidays, please say you did...if not I must be the only person in the UK that watched! I'm dying to discuss it!

Is the Science and Industry Museum free now?

Did you see the car Walter posted on Seed's 'Im back' thread? Very Laughing
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 05:18 am
Yes it's free, much better that way. We went on the replica steam train too, and that was £1 each adult, under-fives free.

No I did not see these programmes on TV but I wish I had recorded "My Shakespeare", as we have a family interest in the theatre.

Could you post a link to Walter's car? Or could you, Walter, if you see this?

And warmly returning your season's wishes,

McT
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 07:08 am
McTag wrote:
Or could you, Walter, if you see this?

It's that "sexy Triumph", which parked close to the Quay House in Salford, you remember :wink:
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 07:15 am
Not the 'ideal' car for dogging though! :wink:
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 10:06 am
Ah yes, I remember that picture now. Near the Grocers' Warehouse, Castlefield, it was.

Sarah Sarah Sarah
let me guess
A white van delivering Slumberland mattresses, that would do it.
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 04:04 pm
What's with the Sarah Sarah Sarah (so good they named her thrice?)

It had an air of 'your incorrigable' about it...like I've not heard THAT before!

I can't help it McTag...I'm a smutty girl, would you have me any other way? :wink:

Now back to culture: If you have real player take a listen to www.bbc.co.uk/radio2 Follow the links from 'listen again' and then onto music documentaries...there's a great prog on 'Jerusalem' called 'and did those feet'. Very interesting, I knew it was Blake, but didn't know about the history of the song. It was my old school song, which is very strange considering I went to a convent (does it show?). There's lots of great stuff on at the moment, including biogs of classic albums...just been listening to Who are You (Who).
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 06:00 pm
I've just seen that BBC4 series programme which goes under Martin Scorsese's name, History of Blues or something, 90 minutes of sheer delight with a pantheon of British and American blues and jazzmen, lessee now, Ken Colyer, Alexis Korner, Humphrey Lyttleton, Lonnie Donegan, Chris Barber, Albert Lee, Eric Clapton, Eric Burdon, Van Morrison, Chris Farlowe, Georgie Fame, Bert Jansch, Peter Green, BB King, Buddy Guy, Big Bill Broonzy, Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee, Muddy Waters, and just about everybody else.

Something there for everybody. I loved it.
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 09:49 am
I can't believe I missed it...and I'm always 'scanning' for progs of that ilk.
Thought the 'silence' at lunchtime was quite moving. I was in outpatients at the local hospital...still it was observed! Did the USA do the same?

Sarah.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 09:54 am
What silence? I've heard nothing.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 10:04 am
We had three minutes of silence all over Europe today at noon.
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 10:09 am
I know your in the middle of the heartland, Tico, but where's that? I've often wondered (or have you already told me). :wink:

Did you not have the 'silence' where you are?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 10:16 am
Wichita, Kansas, the Air Capitol of the World ... at the confluence of the Big and Little Arkansas Rivers. Basically ... right in the middle of the USA.

Well, we have silence here frequently, and I often enjoy it. But, no, I was not aware of an organized "silence." Is this in memorium of the victims of the tsunami disaster?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 10:19 am
Ticomaya wrote:
Is this in memorium of the victims of the tsunami disaster?

Three-minute silence for victims
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 10:20 am
I heard (the sound of silence) six minutes : many other European countries and Uk were not at the same time.
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 10:25 am
Wish I could pop in for a coffee there Tico, sounds very Americany and interesting. I would love to hear some silence...reading you post made me realise that I hardly ever get to experiance real silence...living in an Industrial City. Any 'Linesmen' around?

Must be great living under the big sky...I can only imagine...
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 10:35 am
Funny you mention coffee ... getting ready to open a coffee house. I used to own one, and am getting ready to start again.

LOL. Actually, tons of "Linesmen" out today. We had a massive ice storm yesterday, and loads and loads of tree limbs and power lines are down. I'm without power at home, and so are my folks. Could be a week before power is restored to everyone, they're telling us. Our crazy weather: it was 70 degrees on New Year's Day!
0 Replies