In Praise of Manchester - Centre Of My Universe!

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 02:24 am
Wasn't the Queen Mum called Queenie Poo?
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 02:30 am
The Queen (silly), remember, this be a Manchester thread...............just broke off to get the post..............xmas card from sister with Boots card with Laughing Laughing Laughing £50.00 Laughing Laughing Laughing credit on it! I'm off to get me one of them new mascaras, you know the one where you put white on first, then the colour......I'll have big 'Dusty' eyes tonight.......going for an Italian with Ruth and David. :wink:
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 02:33 am
Embarrassed Showing my age......Kenny Everett used to say 'queeniepoohs'
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 02:37 am
Sarah Morgan wrote:
Embarrassed Showing my age......Kenny Everett used to say 'queeniepoohs'

Oh yes, all those wonderful Radio London and Radio Luxembourg times ...
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 02:43 am
Did you used to watch it, Walter?

Remember Cupid Stunt, Sid Snot, Marcel Wave? Laughing
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 02:45 am
Not watch (actually I don't really remember those shows on tv) but I listened (=tried to understand)listen to the early radio shows on the private stations in the early 60's :wink:
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 02:50 am
Do you remember when he got sacked from radio 1 (I think 1) for making disparaging remarks about the Controller's wife's driving? I think he was sacked twice actually! :wink:
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 02:54 am
Can I just say...................my Birthdays on 8th of February (same as James Dean........respec). It would be interesing to have a 'My birthday is on.....' thread, to see who can remember! Very Happy
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 03:06 am
Sarah Morgan wrote:
Do you remember when he got sacked from radio 1 (I think 1) for making disparaging remarks about the Controller's wife's driving? I think he was sacked twice actually! :wink:

No, I don't - there was only BBC Light in those days :wink:
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 08:23 am
Kenny Everett it was, I think, who first called the BBC the Beeb.

He was good- and always IN THE BEST POSSIBLE TASTE!

I loved Cupid Stunt- the fishnets, the beard......
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 08:48 am
Few things I remember from The Kenny Everett show:

Cupid Stunt saying "I've been rehearsing my new movie for Disney.......it's called Herbie slashes his wrists!"

Bus driver under the bonnet of the bus.....clippie stands behind him and says "want a screwdriver?" he says "leave it out! We're 10 minutes late already!"

The Heebeegeebies with the hardryers!

Him being Rod Stewart in leopard skin pants and his arse getting bigger and bigger to the strains of 'do you think I'm sexy'

Few memories, he was so funny, and so naughty at times! Was it Hot Gossip?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 08:55 am
Sarah Morgan wrote:
Hacienda? Rolling Eyes

Yep ... that was it! Why the rolling eyes?

Grand Duke wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
"You're twisting my melons man, you know you talk so hip man you're twisting my melons man."

That's one of my favourite songs. I remember dancing to it countless times in clubs & student bars, and whenever I hear the piano intro it makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. Cheers, Ticomaya for the nostalgia!

That song brings back memories to me too. Cheers to you GD!
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 09:09 am
Bit short on emoticons Ticomaya, I don't know how to download them yet. It's supposed to be a 'guessing' look. Big respec you went to Haciena....it's gone now Crying or Very sad turned it into city centre apartments, still called Hacienda though.....end of an era!
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 09:14 am
Thanks for the good guess. I'd been trying to remember the name of that club for years. My girlfriend was crazy focused on going there. In fact, that was the purpose of our detour over to Manchester in the first place. She was big into the Happy Mondays, Inspiral Carpets, etc.

I'm glad I didn't go to that many other places in your fair city. Seems like most of them got torn down after I left. I wonder if that Bed & Breakfast is still standing ..... ?

Nice avatar, BTW. Seems to suit you better than the little angel. No offense.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 08:10 pm
Sarah Morgan wrote:
msolga....hows about this? :wink:

Ah, that's more like it!!! Very Happy A red hot chili pepper!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 08:12 pm
Sarah Morgan wrote:
msolga....hows about this? :wink:

Ah, that's more like it!!! Very Happy A red hot chili pepper! Not to be sneezed at or tangled with! I'm glad you got over the girlie lapse, Sarah! Laughing
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2004 12:10 am
I did enjoy being girly while it lasted. Mr S thought it too cute as well. He's doing psychology now and said peoples choice of avatar would make an interesting project. He likes the chilli though, he went into all the possible 'psychological' reasons as to why I chose a chilli. I didn't have the heart to tell him it was my 10th choice......but couldn't get the rest to download! My friend scanned and emailed me a potocopy of my breasts (pissed at work).......tried for ages to get that one to be my new avatar. But they probably wouldn't allow........I thought it was funny, Mr S said 'don't you dare!'

Ticomaya, you still with your girlfriend from that time?

McTag and Walter: I watched this programme recently on BBC4, it's being repeated on 2..... New Years Eve, 9.40....The Story of Bohemian Rhapsody......"More than just a tale of a poor boy from a smal fam-il-ie. This is the record that rock music peaked with and The Darkness will spend their entire career trying to ape. Roger Taylor, Brian May and Brian May's hair Laughing travel back to the studio where the deed was done, and a group of Oxford professors try to decipher the nonesensical lyrics. Good live footage too!"

Try to warch/tape it was a great programme. :wink:
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2004 12:10 am
I never went to the Hacienda coz I'm too old and I HATE that guy who owned it, whatsizface, Anthony Wilson even more than Terry Christian whatta pillock.
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2004 12:19 am
I soo know what you mean McTag.........he's a proper knobhead. I saw him in the greengrocers in Didsbury, he put his shopping in a 'saddle bag' and put it on his shoulder.........need I say more? Laughing
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2004 12:13 am
smorgs wrote:
Ticomaya, you still with your girlfriend from that time?

No. We probably broke up about 3 months after that. We had loads of fun though.

smorgs wrote:
I soo know what you mean McTag.........he's a proper knobhead. I saw him in the greengrocers in Didsbury, he put his shopping in a 'saddle bag' and put it on his shoulder.........need I say more? Laughing

Well, if you were to say more, just for the benefit of us Yanks across the pond, you might start with a translation ... What's a "saddle bag," and why does putting it on one's shoulder make one a "knobhead"?
0 Replies