Effect of Political Contributions by Trade Unions

gollum

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2017 11:41 am
The Citizens United court decision is often criticized on the grounds that it allows corporations to make unlimited independent contributions to political campaigns.

So it does.

It also allows trade unions to make unlimited independent contributions to political campaigns.

Do most of the persons and organizations who wish to overturn the Citizens United decision, wish also to stop unions from making independent contributions to political campaigns?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 452 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Kolyo

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2017 10:54 pm
@gollum,
gollum wrote:

Do most of the persons and organizations who wish to overturn the Citizens United decision, wish also to stop unions from making independent contributions to political campaigns?

They should. Unions don't contribute much anymore.

I mean I'm sure Democrats would love it if only trade unions could fund campaigns, but they shouldn't let a fear of losses in what unions can contribute prevent them from trying to cap what corporations can contribute. The corporate money is way more significant than the union money.
gollum

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2017 04:42 am
@Kolyo,
Kolyo-

Thank you.

Do you mean that Corporations made more dollars of independent political contributions than trade unions prior to the Citizens Union decision?

Or that Corporations presently make more dollars to direct political contributions than trade unions?

Where do get your figures?
Kolyo

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2017 06:06 pm
@gollum,
Before Citizens United, corporations gave more in donations than unions. After the ruling that's still true. They give more because they have more.

I pulled the figures out of my, um, hat. Smile

But it's not worth the time trying to find articles to back up my claim, because I think it's obvious.
0 Replies