Will a traffic ticket determine if corporations really are people?

DrewDad

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 06:31 pm
This Is How You Prank the Supreme Court Properly: “Actually, Officer, I Have a Corporate Certificate In the Glove Box So the Two Of Us ‘People’ Are Allowed To Drive In the Carpool Lane”

Quote:
Frieman just drove around in one of California’s carpool lanes by himself until he eventually was stopped by police for not having an additional person in the car.

Once Frieman was finally pulled over, he handed the officer a certificate of incorporation and voila!! According to the Supreme Court’s own precedent, Frieman suddenly had two “people” in his vehicle. Obviously, the officer still gave him the $481 ticket, so today Frieman is heading to traffic court to argue his case.

Anyway, assuming the police officer actually shows up at the traffic court today, the judge will be either need to: (a.) rule that, duh, obviously a corporation is not a person so articles of incorporation don’t count as an additional passenger; or (b) stand by the Supreme Court’s definition of a corporation and therefore publish a totally ludicrous decision holding that people can just strap their corporate documents into the front seat of their vehicle in order to ride in the carpool lane. Either way, hilarity and further appeals are sure to ensue.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,094 • Replies: 1
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 06:54 pm
@DrewDad,
I just listened to a feature on this on As It Happens.

The law in Ontario has already headed in this direction when it comes to interpretation of portions of our auto policy. It has potential to make my job even more bizarre than it already is.
0 Replies