Brit Pop

smorgs

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 06:35 am
Sorry, forget to say they also played Teenage Kicks, The Undertones at his funeral...was his favourite. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 06:59 am
Impressive
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 07:13 am
Why thanks...I don't think they look that 'real' up close! :wink:
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 07:26 am
Mr. Green
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 02:16 pm
My apologies to Oasis fans, but...

I can't even believe it is so hotly debated. I mean, I know the "battle" got a lot of attention, but no Oasis song ever matched "She's So High," "There's No Other Way," or "Song #2."

I'm not arguing that Blur is the best band ever, but I can't think of one Oasis song that rocked as much as the aforementioned Blur tunes. Yeah, there are catchy Oasis tunes, but they seem SSSOOOOooooo contrived, lyrics and chords. Is contrivance a major transgression? No. So much music these days is heavy on influence, but it's like Oasis didn't even try.

My apologies only because friends of mine, with whom I share mostly similar tastes, seriously dig on Oasis. Must be one of those love em or hate em bands.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 02:47 am
I'm with you on this, Gargamel. "There's No Other Way" would make my all-time top 20 tracks, along with "The Only One I Know" by the Charlatans, and either "Step On" or "Kinky Afro" by the Happy Mondays. The sound was different from any of Oasis' stuff - less "rock", and with that shuffling, funk drum beat that defined most British indie music of the early 90's.
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 04:12 am
Did you boys hear the Bez is going to be on Celebrity Big Brother? I wouldn't normally watch it...but I am now! :wink:
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 04:38 am
Greetings from the White Rose county, Sarah. Happy New Year n' that.

Bez is an icon. I'm not quite sure exactly what he is an icon of, but definitely an icon! The only thing that troubles is me is the amount of birdsong and traffic noise they'll have to broadcast to cover his swearing! He did the 12 o'clock countdown on News Year's Eve back in 1999 at the Arena (club/venue) in Middlesbrough. It went something like this...

10.....errr...f**k...
9.......errr
8.......errr
7.......errr
6.......errr...s**t
errr....5.....errr
errr.............
4......err
3...2...1!
Happy New Year, ya f**kers. Jobsa goodun. F**k.

It was at least 10 seconds after midnight by the time he'd finished. Geezer!
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 07:12 am
I wonder if he'll 'dance'...Bez and Sean live next door to each other you know. :wink:
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 07:12 am
Soz, forgot to say Happy New Year! Very Happy
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 08:02 am
I remember reading an interview with Sean Ryder a few years ago. He was asked why Bez was in the Mondays, when he can't sing, play an instrument or even dance. Sean simply said: "'Cos he's a f**kin' mate." Quite touching, I thought.
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 09:43 am
...and still a f**kin mate after all these years, living next door to each other and that...I agree, it IS touching. :wink:
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 09:50 am
Just re-read my last post and my use of "touching" makes me sound like a girl. Still, I hold that the sentiment is true, even I can't find a better word!

And do they really live next door to each other? Cool. I am imagining it's like a 2-house version of the Beatles' house in Hard Day's Night (I think that's the one I mean).
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 10:18 am
Don't be daft Grand Duke, you don't sound like a girl at all. A strong and loyal friendship is touching...no matter the gender of the observer.

They really do live next door to each other...sadly not like the Beatles. I did know where they live...but I can't remember (it'll come) I know it's rural, on the outskirts of Manchester...High Peak, Castleton, Derbyshire? I saw them on telly a while back - Sean was saying "we're always in each uvers 'ouses'.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 12:19 pm
I'll never forget Sean on TFI Friday a few years ago. The producers were naturally concerned about what he'd say on live prime-time TV...

Chris Evans: Sean, if you go through the whole show without swearing, I'll give you my shoes.
Sean: Let's see 'um.
Chris: (lifts leg onto desk) Patrick Cox!
Sean: Patrick Cox? Man, they're some f**kin' good shoes, man. Oh, ****...
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 12:21 pm
Another one I remember from the interview I mentioned:

Sean: When me and Bez were at school, we used to help each other out in lessons. I couldn't remember all the months of the year in the right order, and he couldn't remember all the days of the week!
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 02:02 pm
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 04:47 am
Grand Duke, did you see it?! Laughing Made me laugh when Bez said he would "miss his ganja smoking". And when Sean said "a Bez is a Bez is a Bez...like a Tigger" Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 04:56 am
Unfortunately I missed them all going in, and only saw them in the jacuzzi later when not much was happening. John McCrirrick (sp) is a strange bloke, but funny. Caprice is vacant, Bridgett & Germaine are scary!
0 Replies