Brit Pop

panzade

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 07:20 am
If it weren't for British teens being mad for American soul music I'd venture to say half of American teens would have never heard that stuff.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 08:17 am
Sarah Morgan wrote:
Grand Duke - get yer bad self in bed and get some kip! What's up with your back? Is it too much boogying to park life? Take care of yourself - it's snowing here in Mancunia! Very Happy

I have to stay up until at least 9 tonight. That'll only be about 30 hours awake, which isn't that much. As for my back, it's muscle seizures caused by a weak spine pressing on the nerves. Painful at times but not disabling. We've had a wee flurry of snow here in Yorkland as well. I don't have a car so I love the snow!

Quote:
MAD FOR IT!

Job's a good 'un!
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 09:51 am
Grand Duke - you still there? I finished work early, due to my sore throat and my (exaggerated) croaky vioce. My team (what's left of them) were most annoyed at my endless renditions of xmas songs in my 'chat-line' voice. Even managed the It's CHRIIIIIIISSSSSTTTMMMMAAAASSS in a perfect Noddy Holder stylee. What WAS your first record ever bought? :wink:
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 10:05 am
Still here, Ms Morgan. Just trying not to fall asleep by watching random rubbish on Sky. BTW, if you have Sky (or similar), check out Takeshi's Castle on Challenge. Crazy Japanese gameshow with a voice-over by Craig Charles (Lister in Red Dwarf, but of course you already knew that). One of the funniest programmes on the box.

Anyway, back to your question. I guess I show my age here. The first records I owned (Xmas gifts) were Eddie Grant's Killer on the Rampage and an Adam & The Ants album, the one with Prince Charming on. I was around 7 or 8. The first record I ever bought for myself was "The Twist" on 12" by Chubby Checker and The Fat Boys. I was around 12 I think. And I still have it, and play it at parties!

Good skills on the "nicking off work early" front as well!
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 10:17 am
Not heard any news 'bout Adam Ant for ages.....not since he was sectioned after brandishing that gun! I still like Ant Music and Dog Eat Dog. Not heard anymore about Marc Almond either, have you?

Why do you have to stay up 'till 9?

My step son watches that Japanese Castle thing - I havn't, but I heard him laughing, so I'll take a look.

Having egg, chips and mushy peas for tea (how working class).....not much in, the house is waiting for the BIG shop on Friday, when armed with an magnum 45, dosed on Valium and a shopping trolly with a wonky wheel, I will attempt to relieve Tesco of all their festive fayre Very Happy

"turnt big light off will ya!"
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 11:15 am
According to his official website (which comes top of a Google search of "marc almond" (to avoid the Edit: Moderator - Link Removed)) he is alive an well and recording tracks. Apparently he does shows in Russia in Russian!

9pm was just a ball-park figure. I'm starting to get my second wind which usually comes around 22-26 hours into my average sleep deprivation. If my house-mate gets the "herbs" in tonight then I'll be up till the early hours!

Just checked the listings and there's no more Takeshi on tonight, but it's on about 4 times a day, everyday. It's kind of like an obstacle course, like the bastard child of Jackass and It's A Knockout. Some may think I'm being racist here (but I am absolutely definitely not) but I don't think it would be half as funny if it was from any other country than Japan. The Japanese come across sometimes as a very reserved people, until you see what they get up for entertainment. They always look so cheerful as they fall from a great height into a shallow pool of dirty water, smacking their head off a wooden beam on the way down.

I am so jealous of your tea! And never be shy of calling it "tea". Ask yourself this. When you were at school, and you'd eaten your midday meal, who were the matronly ladies in tabards who stopped you from having fun in the playground? That's right, dinner-ladies. (it's spitting! it's spitting!) So what were you eating? Dinner. So when you go home at night and eat, what are you eating? Tea. Simple!

As for Christmas shopping, I've got it all sorted. For presents I give money to my sister and she buys them. For food, I go to my mum & dad's! I don't envy you your Christmas Eve shopping nightmare. Good luck!

"Has tha' nowt moist?"
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 11:15 am
Bit of a ramble, that. Sorry!
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 11:55 am
Guess whose dead? Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

The Herbs!!!! Why I'm rolling a carrot of the finest sensi as we speak!

I believe in being a good role model, the Americans would be horrified :wink:

Have you visited my I heart Manchester thread?

Dya want a chip butty?
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 12:45 pm
'Ow lass, I'm reet jealous! I've just been out for a diet-spliff. Which is slang for a rollie. Bugger!

As for your Manchester thread, indeed I have. I've moved around too much to become very attached to one particular place, but I have a love of The North which will never leave me. I'm a Geordie by birth, a Mackham by parentage, a Smoggie by upbringing and now a Yorkie by residence. I did live in Shropshire for a few years as kid but that's the furthest South I've ever lived.

Garlic? Bread? Garlic Bread?
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 12:53 pm
Y I man, we like Geordies, 'specially monged ones!

I've lived all over.....Iran, turkey, Canada (really) but my heart belongs in the North West, Liverpool born, Manchester bred, complete with outside bog and a 'Mam' Very Happy

Old people look weird with mobile phones!
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 01:34 pm
Dougie, sitting 20 miles away doing a word-search - "It's alright, Ah've called th'ambulance."
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 01:05 am
Is this the the way to Amarilo? :wink:
0 Replies

australia

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 01:49 am
snow in manchester?
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 02:24 am
It didn't last long........it's raining now Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 03:06 am
Grand Duke (or anyone) Did you watch 'never mind the buzzcocks' last night with The Wursals and Bad Manners......me and Mr S were pissing ourselves.......I'd take Wursals/Bad Manners over Blue and Westlife anyday! At least they can play their instruments (and well)..........and Busta still doing that 'flicky tongue' thing! Laughing
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 07:08 pm
Nah I missed it. It's usually something I watch if I come across it when flicking, but I have a bad memory and forget to watch things, even with the Personal Planner wotsit.

See everyone later...
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 03:21 am
smorgs wrote:
Bo**ocks....they pay 'homaaage' to The Beatles - they are not wannabies, if John were still with us (RIP Crying or Very sad ) he would love them. Who cares what McCartney says......he lost his credibility a long time ago! :wink:

Smorgs, I just happened to come across this comment whilst I was looking for something else.

You see I'm not alone in my opinion of Oasis being Beatles wannabees.

Fifth paragraph down if you wanna skip the first 4 paras.

http://www.musicfor2.co.uk/sections/your_favourite_artists/beatles_Today.jsp
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 03:37 am
It's only an opinion (like yours and mine). If rated by the late great John Peel...then that should be endorsement enough...nes pas? :wink:

x
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 04:03 am
I've heard of John Peel but what was it about him that made him "stand out" as a deejay? I've never really taken any notice of any deejays
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 06:32 am
Obituary: John Peel

John Peel: Witty, unaffected and avuncular
Broadcaster John Peel was the champion of British music for nearly 40 years on his late-night Radio 1 show. He led the way in promoting new acts, from David Bowie, through Joy Division to the White Stripes.
John Peel was, at first sight, the antithesis of many of the bands he loved. Balding, bearded, softly - if hilariously - spoken, he was more like a favourite uncle than a rock fan.

Yet Peel's uncompromising encouragement of new talent transformed the face of music all the way from hippy to house.

His Radio 1 show ran three nights a week and in 1998 he became the presenter of Radio 4's Home Truths, which won four Sony Radio awards in 1999.

He also presented a programme on the BBC World Service, taking his passion for new music to the wider world.

He was born John Robert Parker Ravenscroft in Heswall, near Liverpool, in 1939. The son of the owner of a cotton mill, his childhood was blighted by his distant parents and he was brought up mostly by a nanny.

He attended Shrewsbury public school, which he hated, an ordeal which was offset by the moment he first heard Elvis Presley singing Heartbreak Hotel.

David Bowie was one of his earliest proteges
"Everything changed when I heard Elvis," he later reflected. "Where there had been nothing there was suddenly something."

After National Service between 1957 and 1959 he went to America. With Beatlemania in full swing, John Peel and his Liverpudlian connections proved irresistible and he soon became a DJ for WRR radio in Dallas.

He once said: "They'd got this idea that if you lived in the UK there were probably only a couple of hundred people and they were all bound to know each other."

Returning to England in 1967, he joined the pirate station, Radio London, before transferring to the BBC's new national pop channel, Radio 1. He was to remain there for the rest of his life, the only survivor of Radio 1's first line-up.

Changing styles

Right from the outset, Peel changed the rules. He played every track without interruption, to the delight of those wishing to tape his show, while providing a witty and knowledgeable running commentary, seemingly a million miles away from the transatlantic platitudes of many of his colleagues.

In the early days Peel championed acts like Marc Bolan, David Bowie and Captain Beefheart, as he did throughout his career, by giving them studio-time to record legendary "Peel sessions".

The Sex Pistols: Peel championed punk rock
But, in the mid-1970s, John Peel moved away from the mainstream rock of Jimi Hendrix and The Who to a new and radical sound, punk.

Bands like the Sex Pistols and the Clash paved the way for new Peel discoveries like Joy Division and the Undertones, whose Teenage Kicks was his all-time favourite single.

The 1980s brought further joy, most notably in the form of The Fall and The Smiths, both refreshing counterblasts to the increasingly bland fare of the charts.

More recently, Peel had branched-out, presenting Home Truths, an eclectic programme about family life, and provided typically droll interjections for BBC TV's Grumpy Old Men.

He received an OBE in 1998 and earned a place in the Radio Academy Hall of Fame.

Three years ago he was diagnosed with diabetes.

He continued to remain at the cutting-edge of popular taste, featuring 'world' music and rap alongside good old-fashioned rock 'n' roll.

A lifelong fan of the Archers and a dedicated follower of Liverpool football club, he lived in Suffolk with his wife Sheila, affectionately known as The Pig.

Smorgs. x
0 Replies