Brit Pop

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 04:35 am
The famous music era that produced the battle between blur and oasis. Which was your favourite and why?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,625 • Replies: 58
No top replies

smorgs

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 05:09 am
Has to be Oasis....I'm from Manchester, they were the real deal, not middle class nancy boys like blur. What's the Story? Brilliant album. Don't forget Jarvis and his sublime piss take of Michael Jackson at 'The Brits'. I believe the term 'Brit Pop' was first coined by Stuart Marconi, have recently read his book 'Cider with Roadies' it was brill.

I'm still mad for it! :wink:
0 Replies

australia

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 05:24 am
I love that music. Did you see the film "Live forever"
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 01:43 pm
Sorry, Australia......got carried away on my goldfish thread.

Yes, I've seen it! Very Happy

What's you favourite song?

Me? Torn between Don't Look Back..............or..........Champagne Super Nova.

How many special people change?
How many lives are living strange?
Where were you while we were getting high?

I've got it on!............F***ing Brilliant! :wink:
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 02:17 pm
Oasis are beatles wannabees, the main vocalist imitates John Lennon and very badly. Oasis are complete rubbish.

As Paul Mc Cartney said "this group mean nothing to me."
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 03:14 pm
Bo**ocks....they pay 'homaaage' to The Beatles - they are not wannabies, if John were still with us (RIP Crying or Very sad ) he would love them. Who cares what McCartney says......he lost his credibility a long time ago! :wink:
0 Replies

australia

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 05:42 pm
Favourite song is live forever. I like Blur also.

I didn't realise until the film came out that oasis and blur had the battle of the bands in england.

In real life is Liam as stupid as he comes across on the movie, live forever?
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 10:03 pm
being the kinks fan that i am i tend to side with blur
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 10:11 pm
I reckon that "Definitely Maybe" is better than any Blur album, but I also reckon that "Leisure" and "Modern Life Is Rubbish" are better than the rest of Oasis' records.

Although my age (28) would dictate that I should have been a Brit-Popper, I'm really a Baggy - Stone Roses, Charlatans, Happy Mondays, Neds Atomic Dustbin, Pop Will Eat Itself.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 10:19 pm
Grand Duke wrote:
I reckon that "Definitely Maybe" is better than any Blur album, but I also reckon that "Leisure" and "Modern Life Is Rubbish" are better than the rest of Oasis' records.

well said grand duke
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 10:31 pm
Cheers, djjd62. I'm a fan of many of the Mod bands, especially the Kinks. Sunny Afternoon and Lola are fantastic tracks. Can you hear alot of the Mod influence in the Brit Pop bands and, in fact, most modern guitar bands who fall at the other end of the rock-spectrum from the metallers?
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 11:58 pm
Tad unfair on Oasis, who have frequently name-checked The Kinks and The Jam as having solid influence, as well as The Beatles. I too am I Roses, Charlatan fan. I'd say my favourite record of the era was Common People. Anyone see 24 Hour Party People? :wink:
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 12:20 am
I have seen it, but only in a state similar to Sean Ryder's, so I can't remember much of it. What I can remember I liked though. One to get on DVD in the sales I think.

And what are you doing online at 6am? I'm suffering from mild insomnia - I'm guessing you have to go to work soon?
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 03:12 am
Went on-line at 6, to check out my 'care of golfish' thread. yes I was getting ready for work as well. I'm here now....just opened my secret santa, three of my staff off sick, I've got a sore throat. Heard on the radio on the way in that they have shortened the odds for a white xmas here in Mancunia. Had to get Mr S to scrape my car - men are so useful! Watcha doing today? Smile
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 03:25 am
Just now, I'm sat on the sofa with the laptop watching some bloke sing Elton John's "Take a look at me now" on GMTV. He's just been replaced by a live link to a some random bloke's house in Somerton. Apparently his wife entered him in a raffle to win a turkey, and he won, but he's a vegetarian (you would have thought his wife would remember something like that) so he's keeping the actual live turkey in his garden as a pet. Absolutely riveting television.

I'm actually off work with a bad back until wednesday, then a couple of days then finish for the holidays! Today I have to stay awake until at least tea-time. Being off work turns me nocturnal, so I have to get my body-clock back in order. I've been awake since sunday lunchtime!

I'm sure you couldn't care less, but you did ask!
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 05:20 am
Sarah Morgan wrote:
Bo**ocks....they pay 'homaaage' to The Beatles - they are not wannabies, if John were still with us (RIP Crying or Very sad ) he would love them. Who cares what McCartney says......he lost his credibility a long time ago! :wink:

Sarah, you cannot ever expect two people of different age groups to agree on any form of music- it's never gonna happen, the best we can ever do is to agree to disagree with each other Very Happy
0 Replies

australia

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 05:22 am
I love park life. It is a pretty accurate song in many respects.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 05:46 am
australia - I like Parklife as well. I like the line "Put my trousers on, have a cup of tea, and think about leaving the 'ouse." I also like thr lyrics to Girls & Boys as well. "Following the herd down to Greece, for holidays."
0 Replies

australia

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 05:57 am
Parklife sums up my life at the moment lol
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 07:02 am
Grand Duke - get yer bad self in bed and get some kip! What's up with your back? Is it too much boogying to park life? Take care of yourself - it's snowing here in Mancunia! Very Happy

Don 1 - how do you know we are different ages? People always differ over music, otherwise life would be boreing! Happy Christmas

First record ever bought - Harlem Shuffle, Bob and Earl (gives my age away) what was everyone elses?

'hitch, hitch hike baby, across the floor'

MAD FOR IT!
0 Replies