Give me your point of view..

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2004 06:54 am
Hi everybody, I'll tell you a story about what's going here in my place about the understanding of teaching.You tell me after this what do you think.This year, they have changed the whole teaching system way.So, a teacher should do evaluations for the students around the clock.At a teacher records or book let's say there are maybe around ten little squares that he has to fill with marks .The problem is that most of the teachers are new to the system, and don't know how to handle this new evaluation .Accordingly, everything became a mess here, and the lines weren't clear to be followed from the start.Not to mention that this give the teachers an extra hard times, and turn their lives to a hell.There are many reports and researches, and other things submitted by the students to the teacher.And these reports waiting to be cremated later on, not to mention that there are no decent lockers or places to keep the students work in.The big problem also that the teacher has around 35 students in one class, and has around 25 lessons a week.He has six or seven or maybe eight classes.So, in this case he would have to make, say 210 quizes to cover all the students.And don't forget that this would be the first round, he has to make around ten evaluations, and for each he must authenticate or document every student work in a file he has to each student.Let's ask this question, how many papers does a teacher have at the end?.Well, I will give a roughly figure, two thousands papers!!

And still, the daily chores for the teachers along with teaching, I don't wanna go in the details.

P.S please don't ask me any names.The teacher wants to be in the dark side Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 920 • Replies: 2
No top replies

benconservato

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 01:50 am
that sounds like small business gst in Australia.
That is horrid.
I don't understand the teaching systems sometimes. The country wants their children to have the best education possible and they do something like that, which takes up more time than needed with nit picking bureaucracy.

I commiserate.
0 Replies

confused girl

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 12:38 pm
"we have lost our voice, the government wont leave us alone!"

that is a quote from a teacher of mine, who is my inspiration and mentor as i progress toward my goal of being an english teacher.

its all down to government pressures. teachers arent allowed simply to teach anymore, its all about paperwork and statistics.

i think its a waste of time having all this paperwork to do. it is more useful to spend the time coming up with strategies to help their individual students progress.

its all well and good having this neat little table to fill out, but what good does it actually do?! none!

in my school. we also have little tables to fill out, stats to look at, instead of ordinary handwritten reports. it generalises too much, it doesnt reveal the cause of the problem, or why the pattern is as it is, you just see stats and come up with a label for the child, pidgeon-holeing them.

that turns into self fulfilling prophecy, where the child responds to the label accordingly.

the tables dont allow for investigations into causes, identification of a momentary lapse or anomalie which puts the whole average off balance.

*stops before goes into nine page rant* Very Happy
0 Replies