Badboy

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 05:11 am
What do you make of the supposed discovery of a `God Gene'?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,151 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 07:50 am
Now there is one names Gene!

Well...the more the merrier.
0 Replies

binnyboy

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 09:20 pm
Laughing
0 Replies

DeadLeaf

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 10:09 pm
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 11:31 am
DeadLeaf wrote:
My thoughts believe he is reading our genes like a theistic creationist would read the bible, making whatever he/she reads be whatever they would like it to mean to him or herself.

And my thought is that would be a practice with which you have demonstrated affinity and expertise.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 01:48 pm
Well...if we're gonna get into this, let's first get some facts straight:

The Brain & Spirituality

"Mathew Alper, the author of The God Part of the Brain discussed his theory that human beings are genetically hard wired to experience some form of spirituality. He suggested that over time humanity evolved in this direction as a way of coping with the inevitable knowledge of their deaths. Being compelled to believe "there's something out there," was developed in a region of the brain, he contends.

Alper noted that a recent Time Magazine cover story titled 'Is God in Our Genes?' referenced many of his original ideas, but credited them to author Dean Hamer, whose book on the subject recently came out (Alper's book was published years earlier).

Beyond the "god" part of the brain, Alper said there is mounting evidence for a "love" part of the brain. He cited studies that show women can release hormones such as oxytocin, that create a chemistry of bonding, such as with their newborn. He also asserted that criminal behavior can be traced to genetic defects or neurotransmitter imbalances, and that ultimately manipulating or reprogramming an offender's brain chemistry would be more useful than imprisonment."

Alper is the guy who started all this. I would suggest reading his book, and comparing it to Hamer's, for anyone interested in a proper debate on the topic. :wink:
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 01:59 pm
Doubt proper debate much figures in the lives of those given to shoutin' down folks not in line with their own particular take in matters of this sort - can't be another point of view to consider, ya know - whether its 'cause god said so or 'cause the godless say so. Its pretty much all a matter of intolerance, ignorance, preconception, and arrogance from whatever perspective.
0 Replies

DeadLeaf

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 11:05 am
hhmm... I see!
well thanks for the info, I did not know that alper even existed! I will look into his work. I also agree, it seems much better just to alter their brain chemistry than to send these women to prison. but I think it will take along time to be able to just know how to "alter" someones brain chemistry without the use of conventional drugs, through the means of genetic enginering that is.
0 Replies

DeadLeaf

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 11:34 am
hhmm,
timberlandko wrote:
Doubt proper debate much figures in the lives of those given to shoutin' down folks not in line with their own particular take in matters of this sort - can't be another point of view to consider, ya know - whether its 'cause god said so or 'cause the godless say so. Its pretty much all a matter of intolerance, ignorance, preconception, and arrogance from whatever perspective.

yes I do agree with you on some level, but as I said before, but every one believes in somthing, whether a God or Gods exist or none at all etc.. No one is or ever will be completly un-Biased, can you agree with me on that? and the person must have "faith" -Confident belief in the truth, value, or trustworthiness of a person, idea, or thing. (dictionary.com) Rick Joyner wrote a book called -Leadership, The Power Of A Creative Life- in it he says that faith is spelled R-I-S-K everything believe in has some level (even a very small one) of being "not true"-me don't you agree timberlandko? faith can be mistaken as ignorance, but really ignorance is "The condition of being uneducated, unaware, or uninformed."-dictionary.com. .. we all are ignorant to some degree. that is true. "opinions are like arm pits, we all have a few of them and they all stink!" -Mr plowman CSCL principle. " Religion-
A cause, principle, or activity pursued with zeal or conscientious devotion.

to end all this "jibberish" and get to my point. what I am trying to prove is what a Albert Einstein said. as if it is not "proven" every day.
Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 11:37 am
Some agreement DeadLeaf ... but just some. I'm a straight-line sort; to me, "Faith", most particularly in the religious sense, equates to superstition - unfounded, illogical belief.
0 Replies

Etruscia

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 12:22 pm
I would not agree with you on the everyone has to believe in a god or gods or none at all. I believe none of those things, i beleive in myself.

If everyone had that supposed part of their brain removed that makes us spiritual, would the concept of god exist anymore? I say concept, because it could very well be that a god exists anyway, but we just do not come up with the concept.

And Dead Leaf, my interpretation of Albert einsteins quote is that "religion" is the motivation to find the unknown, and to move forward. Of course with out this motivation, science does not have application for furtherment. And of course motivation without any means to achieve it (science) is useless, or "blind"
0 Replies

DeadLeaf

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 09:15 am
hey guys, in the article I wrote, I did not mention faith, or anything about God, a Creationist is not a Godly man, he is someone who believes that we were created, I havnt posted in so long because my dad Cought me on here and said "stop arguing with these pathetic low lifes they will just make exuse after exuse why they are right" (but thats what dbate is all about" if I get cought again im in big trouble. but its "Religeon verses religeon not science verses religon, an evelutionist has no "real" proof of his beliefe, just as a creationist, and there is alot of facts proving both sides wrong, so stop giving me this ****, ......... to prove what i just said, I wrote another article. which will follow this:
0 Replies

DeadLeaf

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 09:31 am
Etruscia wrote:
I would not agree with you on the everyone has to believe in a god or gods or none at all. I believe none of those things, i beleive in myself.

there isnt any ethiest on a battle field, I decided not to send this article I wrote. because it is completly off the subject.
0 Replies