Bridge of dreams (and nightmares)

smorgs

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 01:43 pm
Strange that the French ignored the fact that the architect is ENGLISH during the opening ceremony. Cheese eating surrender monkeys that they are! :wink:

I'm jus kiddin.....before I get hate posts Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 01:46 pm
<snort>

Every time I see something like that - bridge / tunnel / chunnel - my first thought is about the effect of an accident. Are trucks allowed on it? (for some reason I can't get into ossoB's thread)
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 01:55 pm
Sarah Morgan wrote:
Strange that the French ignored the fact that the architect is ENGLISH during the opening ceremony. Cheese eating surrender monkeys that they are! :wink:
Laughing Laughing Laughing

No need to apologize. Nothing wrong with cheese eating!
Seriously though, I heard on CNBC last night that this bridge could be of tremendous strategic military importance in that it could cut as much as 4 hours off a retreat. :wink:
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 02:07 pm
Is that 'Le grande fromage' on your head Occom Bill? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 02:15 pm
Wisconsin Cheddar, baby!
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 02:30 pm
The French would not 'approve' you know!

I've been to Cheddar on holiday - it's a lovely place. I was there on midsummer eve, they roasted a boar on the village green, and we drank scrumpy! So quaint.....so pagan! Very Happy
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 02:35 pm
Sarah Morgan wrote:
The French would not 'approve' you know!

And here I would of thought it was obvious that's no concern of mine. Razz

Sarah Morgan wrote:
I've been to Cheddar on holiday - it's a lovely place. I was there on midsummer eve, they roasted a boar on the village green, and we drank scrumpy! So quaint.....so pagan! Very Happy
Well color me ignorant! I knew of no such place (sounds lovely, though). Cool
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 02:48 pm
Sarah Morgan wrote :

Strange that the French ignored the fact that the architect is ENGLISH during the opening ceremony. Cheese eating surrender monkeys that they are!

Sarah, the French didn't ignore Norman Foster.

As you can see in the link bellow, Chirac was with him on the opening ceremony.
Opening ceremony in Millau

You are nice girl so I will not post revenge coments. I love you.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 02:52 pm
Embarrassed No offense Francis Embarrassed
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 03:01 pm
Bonsoir Francis......Pardon, he WAS there, but there was NO mention of him in his speech! Even the French would not dare not invite him. :wink:

Cheddar (Gorge) is where the original cheddar cheese comes from, but I'm sure Wisconsin Cheddar is every bit as yummy. :wink:
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 03:09 pm
Francis, if you look closer, you can just see a line of asylum seekers making their way to Engleterre! Laughing
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 03:55 pm
Moving on (:wink:), has anyone ever seen the Falkirk Wheel between the cities of Edinburgh and Glasgow? Gotta be the coolest water-way since the Panama Canal.

http://www.falkirk-wheel.com/wheel/images/visit_26-06-02-m.jpg
http://www.falkirk-wheel.com/wheel/images/wheel-opening.jpg
Quote:
The Falkirk Wheel is the world's only rotating boatlift and is used to connect the Forth & Clyde and Union canals in central Scotland.

This magnificent, mechanical marvel has been constructed to 21st Century, state-of-the-art engineering and it is already being recognised as an iconic landmark worthy of Scotland's traditional engineering expertise.

Designed to replace a series of lock gates built in the 19th Century - long since demolished and replaced by housing - the Falkirk Wheel is the showpiece of the Millennium Link project where coast-to-coast navigation of the canals has been re-established for the first time in over 40 years.
Source
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 04:07 pm
Sarah Morgan wrote:
Cheddar (Gorge) is where the original cheddar cheese comes from, but I'm sure Wisconsin Cheddar is every bit as yummy.

Its nothing like it, apparently ... A. couldnt believe the cheddar here was cheddar because it was nothing like cheddar ... if you get my drift ...
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 04:38 pm
About Sir Norman Foster, Millau Bridge architect :

Norman Foster, architect
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 06:04 pm
LOL Francis, very clever.

Quote:
Malgré la fierté tricolore du Président de la République qu'une entreprise française, Eiffage, ait bâti un pont sublime en si peu de temps et en réalisant de telles prouesses technologiques, on est cependant obligé de mettre un bémol à l'ardeur présidentielle. Eh oui, l'architecte de l'ouvrage, a le fâcheux défaut d'être citoyen britannique et de travailler à Londres... Nobody is perfect.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 06:16 pm
Some great pictures on that site ... You can track its development over time (what I just linked in is the 2004 album) ...

http://viaduc.midilibre.com/albums/album69/03_G.jpg
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 06:24 pm
Personally - call me conservative, but - I can see the architectural beauty of it and all, but I still primarily see it as a landsculptural monstrosity ...

Look at this last picture ... close your eyes and imagine it without viaduct ... imagine living in that valley, it being your home, your childhood ... open your eyes and see what they plumped into it.

As an artefact of modernity, viewed in isolation - beautiful. As something dumped into the landscape, each of its giant metal paws the surface of a small farm, towering its alien, industrial shadow over the so humanly sized rural valley that was ... a masterful abomination.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 06:30 pm
It does seem that it was built, hmmmmm, as a design challenge and to decrease some drivers' inconvenience. Not a necessity.

and I really can't imagine a helicopter landing on it, now that I've looked at that album. Soooooo not going there.
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 06:30 pm
Quote:
Cheese eating surrender monkeys that they are!
Aah, the immortal wisdom of groundskeeper Willie.

That bridge is unbelievable, that is something I will have to see in person someday.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 07:14 pm
Yes, nimh, I agree it is a blunt disturbance of a lovely valley, though it is beautiful in its way. If you lived in that valley, it would be hard to screen the view of it, it would be always just there, in your face.

I am not personally used to viaducts as a concept - a bridge over land; it takes some adjustment for me. Bridges over water, I get. Between mountains - well, I guess I do see that all the time, driving through California, but the lengths of the bridging tend to be shorter.

The Los Angeles freeway system, which I do know well, is a sequence of sort of stubby viaducts that bisect neighborhoods, providing zillions of fume belching autos access across a huge basin of land...
0 Replies