I bought newts from walmart......

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 02:20 pm
Laughing
I have thought of keeping newts. That is why i have committed all that information to memory. my friend ( well ex-friend) did TONS of reserch and always looking for better ways to care for them, i went along. I thought i would one day have some of my own. but i have fish. many many many fish. no room for the little critters. ;-)
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 02:31 pm
Uhhh....it all makes sense now!!!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 03:36 pm
how many did you buy?
Did the pet store tell you what kind they are?
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 04:43 pm
I bought two, and no they didn't, because I didn't ask....oops!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 09:26 pm
Ok, in a nut shell.. if you are interested :
Newt Keeping.
Im hoping that in this bunch of useless ( to me ) knowledge, you can get something out of it.
I will keep it simple.
No more then one type of newt per cage. They are toxic to each other when they are diffrent species.
1 newt= 10 gallons
2=15+
3 MINIMUM = 25 gallons.
Heater.. kept on at 74-77 depending on your weather. If you rhouse is going to drop/raise in heat make sure you accomidate with thier heater.
Change thier water filter once a month or thier water gets toxic to them and they will die
Feel them every 2-3 days. BUY A TURKEY BASTER. it will save you SOOO much time cleaning out the cage. All you have to do is get the poop and any other debris on the bottom of the tank instead of having to rinse/wash etc.
What they dont eat after about 30 mintues take out. It can break down and back up thier skin. They breathe through thier skin. There water cleanliness is essential. Handling.. minimal. never outside the water though. The oils on our hands clog thier pores and they cant breathe.
Live plants. UVB-UVA bulbs on the top of the tanks . Turn off at nights. Always put thier food in the same location. You can get a small dish and just leave it in there for thier food. Routine produces healthy newts. No spray bottles.. I think I covered that one.. and rocks. They need rocks on the bottom of the cage to allow them to scratch and shed. give them a place to hide in the tank.
hmm...
I think in my ramblings I have covered everything?
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 11:36 am
Hola....thanks, I think i'll be referring back to this page often!
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 03:21 pm
well from your description of the newts they sounds like fire belly newts... but thats just what i think... http://www.birdsinalaska.org/class/living_science_center/images/fbn_side.gif
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 05:51 pm
Yep. that's them!!!
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 07:59 pm
When I was younger I snorted newts on a daily basis.

I long for those days.
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 08:42 pm
i had me some fire bellied newts when i was a wee lad... i didnt keep water in their tank and they dried out... i miss them...sad..
0 Replies

Foolhardysage

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2005 08:48 pm
Newts and Nots....
A word of advice from the NEWTLESS family...Make sure there is nothing in the tank tall enough that the Newt can use as an escape route. My son had a floating "island" in his aquarium for the Newt, but also an opening. The newt escaped. We found him a few days later. He was so DRY. When we speak of him now, he is referred to as PETER POWDER....Remember, only you can keep your pets safe!!!

Foolhardysage

p.s. my first post...I can't believe it's about that Newt! Laughing
0 Replies