Milo Minderbinder .
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 07:48 pm
Um,...Colonel Angus....
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 07:57 pm
An ex of mine loved a mystery series with a lead character named Harry Bosch (after Heronemous Bosch) by author Michael Connelly.

He called him something that sounded more like Harry Bush.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 08:14 pm
Flagg was pretty scary Farmerman.

Who could forget Rodion Romanovich Raskolnikov?

For some reason I always liked the pirate Ragnar Danneskjöld too.

Anyone remember Vasili Vasilovich Taleniekov?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 08:20 pm
Quote:
An ex of mine loved a mystery series with a lead character named Harry Bosch (after Heronemous Bosch) by author Michael Connelly.

I've read some of those books, littlek, but I don't recall the details. Do you remember the names of any?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 08:26 pm
I always hated the name Ellery Queen. It sounded so swish. But reading those mysteries was one of my guilty pleasures when I was a young 'un. At one point in my late teens, early twenties I had amassed a complete set of Queen mystery novels, some p-backs, some early original editions, some book-club selections. Don't have nary a one now in my library. Frequent geographic moves tend to break up sets and destroy entire collections.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 08:38 pm
I have recently started reading some of the pulp fiction that is being republished. Jim Thompson is one such writer and his books are actually quite entertaining.

"Farewell, my lovely" comes to mind.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 08:40 pm
Even more great additions! Thank you all.

Its funny how so many books don't seem to pay attention, then, you come across ones that do and it adds so much to the story.

I need to put my thinking cap on....
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 08:43 pm
Jim Thompson, yes! I'm reading The Killer Inside Me right now. (Well, not right now exactly; I'm posting on A2K [I[right now[/I], but you know what I mean, knowateyemean?)
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 09:00 pm
I always suspected you had taste, Merry.

You have just confirmed my suspicions.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 09:01 pm
Milo Minderbender makes me think..

Wasn't there a Major Major in "Catch 22"?

Wasn't he the real stick in the mud, careerist, by the book guy?

A real major Major?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 09:02 pm
Verbal Kint
0 Replies

sophie99

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 09:07 pm
Quote:
I've read some of those books, littlek, but I don't recall the details. Do you remember the names of any?

(Don't know if I did the quote thing right...)

THE BLACK ECHO
THE BLACK ICE
THE CONCRETE BLONDE
THE LAST COYOTE
THE POET
TRUNK MUSIC
BLLOD WORK
ANGELS FLIGHT
VOID MOON
A DARKNESS MORE THAN NIGHT
CITY OF BONES
CHASING THE DIME...

Currently reading LOST LIGHT ... thx 1/2 Price Books clearance...only $1.oo... Very Happy
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 09:12 pm
Gus - not really. You can find out quick with a google search.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 04:40 am
Major Major Major. No he wasn't a 'by the book' guy. He was a hapless victim of his father's wird sense of humor. The family name was Major. The father, against the weak-willed mother's wishes, entered the baby's first names as 'Major' also. So when Major Major was inducted into the army, a typical military-bureaucratic error automatically gave him the rank of major as well. He was totally clueless as to his duties and a running gag in the book is that nobody can ever get to see Major Major in his tent. The 1st Sgt., whose name I've forgotten, makes appointments and then tells visitors that they can only see the major when he isn't in. Another Catch-22.

Milo Minderbinder, symbol of rampant runaway capitalism, is the true villain of the book.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 04:45 am
Of course! Major Major Major! Laughing
I forgot all about Catch 22!
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 05:00 am
Another great name from Catch 22: Gen. Scheisskopf. Anyone with even a smattering of German knowledge will know what the name means.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 05:03 am
(I'm relying on memory here.) I loved the character, Diana Moonglampers (or Diana Moon Glampers?), the Handicapper General, in one of Kurt Vonnegut's short stories. It was her job to ensure that all people were equal in some terrible Orwellian time in the future. So, for example, if someone's beauty made them too special, they would be "handicapped" by wearing a bag over their head! ..... You get the picture. Does anyone remember the actual name of the story? I think it was in the Welcome To the Monkey House collection, which I read such a long time ago!

Oh, & I loved Elliot Rosewater the fireman, too. There must be heaps of other wonderfully named Vonnegut creations! Very Happy

I just remembered Billy Pilgrim, from Slaughterhouse Five! So aptly named!

Wasn't Kurt wonderful? Very Happy
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 07:25 am
littlek wrote:
Gus - not really. You can find out quick with a google search.

Oh sure, littlek, make me do the work.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 01:51 pm
Dickens is a fund of great names -
Pecksniff
Esther Summersun
Uriah Heep
Lord and Lady Dedlock
Jaggers (the lawyer)
and so on almost forever...
0 Replies