Great names in fiction.

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 09:07 pm
For whatever reason I haven't been able to get the name Kilgore Trout off of my brain today. I haven't read any Vonnegut in years and years but Kilgore, the hapless anti-hero of several Vonnegut books still sticks in my head.

Dickens was of course famous for his ability to conjure names that fit his characters. Ebenezer Scrooge sounds just as evil as he was, Miss Haversham as breathy and desperate, ad infinitum.

Lolita Haze was as exotic and as ordinary as her name implies.

George Babbit was as dull and dreary as his name.

What fictional names have stuck with you because they fit the character so well.

And/or

If you were to fictionalize your life, what would you call yourself?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,743 • Replies: 47
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 09:14 pm
Doc Ricketts and the boys of Cannery Row.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 09:17 pm
Great questions, Boomer! Some of the Godfather charcters had pretty cool names when you translate them from the Italian. The Don himself is Vito Corleone. OK, Corleone is the name of a town in Sicily but it means 'Lionhearted.' Very apropos. And one of his top capi regimes has the ironic name of Clemenza, which, of course, means 'mercy.' One of my all-time favorite names in literature comes from Tom Wolfe's Bonfire of the Vanities. I can't remember the lady's first name now but she's a British reporter named Miss Heftshank. Heftshank! I love it!

I've played with my own name a lot, rendering it from its Anglicized version into Polish, German, Italian, French, Spanish, Scots etc. etc. Two ways to do that is to play with either patronymics or the name of your hometown or, if foreign-born, the country you come from. It's fun. Try it. (For example, my father's name was John, so, as a Scot, I dub myself Andrew MacIan.)
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 09:19 pm
Oh yeah! Good one, farmerman.

What about Jeeter Lester from "Tabacco Road" too.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 09:23 pm
that. was one crazed sumbitch

howboutt captain Coll and Gus macrae?

or, for me, the scariest
randall Flagg .
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 09:35 pm
Hi Merry Andrew - and thank you!

That is interesting about translating names. My name (especially my maiden name) is truly one of the ultimate generic names of America; thankfully, I am called by something different. I've always wondered what I might call myself if given the chance. I will play around as per your suggestion and see what I come up with.

I did read "Bonfire..." but it was a while ago and I don't remember it too well (I do remember Wolfe calling the overly thin, overly rich women social x-rays, though). Heftshank makes me think of someone a bit more portly. Is that true?

I wondered if they named the bad guy "Randall" in the movie "Monsters" because of that, farmerman! Randall Flagg sounds like a bad ass, doesn't he?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 09:39 pm
I didntt see monstters yet, but maybe if the screenwriter was a Stephen King fan .

HP lovecraaft was good att names also, even though he couldnt, IMO convey dialogue worth aa damn.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 09:51 pm
Well,
Wolf Larsen sticks with me long after the story fades.
Dedalus in Ulysses.
Screechowl in Mysteries of Paris.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 10:43 pm
Shakespeare had some good ones, especially for the comic characters: Sir Toby Belch and Sir Andrew Aguecheek. And Mistress Quickly and Mistress Overdone.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 11:00 pm
Holly Golightly in Breakfast At Tiffany's.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 04:30 am
Boomer, I always thought of 'Heftshank' as being a euphemism for 'bigass.'
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 09:17 am
I'd think of it as big calves/ legs.

Saleem Sinai (Midnight's Children.)

Calliope Stephanides (Middlesex.)

Agreed re: Shakespeare.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 09:26 am
Simon Legree was a cool name.

And Jurgus Rudkus.

What was the name of the guy from "The Shipping News"

Quoyle?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 09:28 am
OOOOOOHHHH!

Now that's spooky!!!

I just looked it up 'cause I was trying to figure out his first name. (Quoyle.) Evidently he doesn't have one? Then I like typed it and everything and erased it because all by itself it didn't look very impressive.

<pulling coat around me a little tighter, looking around suspiciously and trying not to give into paranoia...>
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 09:30 am
I could have swore that guy had a first name. I'll have to go upstairs and dig the book out.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 01:04 pm
Dr. Hannibal Lecter and
Atticus Finch - "To Kill A Mockingbird
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 01:07 pm
Just thought of Nurse Ratched in "The One Who Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest".
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 01:10 pm
Hi everybody! What a nice list of good character names we're assembling.

I must confess that I'm not familiar with all of the names so, if you can, try to give me a clue about what makes it fit the character so well.
0 Replies

sophie99

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 06:54 pm
Munchkins & Oompa Loopas - Onamonopaetic ? Sound like what they are..

Simon Legree (mentioned above) & Ebenezer Scrooge- Commonly used for certain character types

Ichabod Crane- Physical image evoked of geeky tall bird...
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 07:10 pm
Ah! Gabriel Oak-- My stalwart, dependable hero in Far From the Madding Crowd, and his love, Bathsheba Everdeen.

Captain Ahab

Aunt Pittypat

Maleficent

Mordred
0 Replies