Universe's Big Bang Afterglow

Ragman

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2003 04:06 pm
NASA: Universe's Big Bang Afterglow

NASA satellite has taken a picture of the Big Bang's ancient afterglow. Scientists have analyzed the data and learned that the universe is 13.7 billon years old (plus or minus 1 percent) and that the first stars
appeared only 200 million years after the Big Bang.

These results are a milestone in cosmology, says the NASA director of astronomy and physics.

FULL STORY at hyperlink at top of article.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,258 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2003 04:07 pm
From what i read elsewhere, the picture obtained dates to about 300,000+ years after the ostensible "big bang," a mere moment on the celestial time line . . . fascinatin' stuff . . .
0 Replies

ferrous

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2003 10:19 am
Fudge Factor
4% atoms, 23% dark matter, and 73% dark energy.

Dark energy... something that Einstein created as a "fudge factor" to keep the universe from collapsing in his equations. He later disavowed it.
Now it seems, data from the Wilkinson Microwave Anisotrophy Probe (WMAP) seems to agree with his "fudge factor."

I also, find interesting, the revelation that the universe is geometrically "flat." I have always viewed it as a sphere.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2003 01:27 pm
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap030212.html

What I found really interesting is the parts breakdown: 73 percent dark energy, 23 percent cold dark matter, and only 4 percent atoms.

The dark matter part isn't very interesting because it's probably brown dwarfs and black holes and other such "known" remnants from the world of atoms.

It's the dark energy which is really interesting because we don't have a clue what it is yet. A vast majority of our universe is something we've never seen, and possibly something we don't even know about in theory yet.

It's like if you lived in Oklahoma and had never seen an ocean, and someone told you that 73% of the planet was not made of land like in you were used to. You might think, "if it's not land, what is it? And what affect does it have on the planet, and on my land?"

Regards,
0 Replies

Bibliophile the BibleGuru

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2003 05:39 pm
Do my eyes deceive me or is it my old Abuzz friend Rosborne? Very Happy

I might have known, you're back here at the science scene.

Good to see you again. :wink:
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2003 09:11 pm
Hi Bib, it's nice to be here. I'm just getting used to the feel of this site format. I'm still using Abuzz, but I saw lots of abuzz names on this site, so I figured I should take some time to get used to its format and see how it works as a discussion board.
0 Replies

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 10:29 am
Any sign of ccpoodle or pcivannuys over there Ros? If they are, then tell them the science gang is over here. :wink:

The GUI on this board is excellent and the functions are versatile - the team here have done a great job.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 10:14 pm
Hi Bib,

CCPoodle is still around. I haven't seen a PCivannuys post in a long time however. I'll see if I can lure CC over here Wink
0 Replies

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2003 07:06 am
Great! The more the merrier.
It's always good to share and learn from one another
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2003 09:32 am
waves to former abuzzers
0 Replies