too may or not enough commas?

diyaba

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2017 03:53 am
Please help!
I have several questions about the following sentences (which are about surviving crocodile attacks):
Her story, including the canoe she was paddling, has been preserved in a collection at the National Museum of Australia.  Darwin kite surfer, Chris Keating's tale is an eerily similar account of a fight for survival revealing his true place in the food chain.

- How should commas go around 'Chris Keating's'
- When I speak it, 'fight for survival, revealing his' a slight pause between survival and revealing seems to help its clarity, but a comma looked excessive. I could change it to 'fight for survival that revealed' but it doesn't seem as natural when I speak it.
- Because I've written as if speaking does it just make the sentences seem too jumpy in general? How could I put this better?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 727 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Ponderer

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2017 04:27 am
@diyaba,
I would write "Darwin kite surfer Chris Keating's tale is an eerily similar account of a fight for survival." ( Though the other ending may be true, personally I think it distracts attention from the fight and diminishes his survival.)
You could also write " Darwin kite surfer, Chris Keating, told of an eerily similar account...."
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2017 01:44 pm
@diyaba,
Quote:
- How should commas go around 'Chris Keating's'
One goes after 'tale'

Quote:
... a slight pause between survival and revealing... a comma looked excessive.
Yes, Diya, right you are

Quote:
does it just make the sentences seem too jumpy
No Yaba, notatall

Quote:
How could I put this better?
Heck guy [gal ?], I don't think you could, you write good

Ponderer

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2017 02:31 pm
@dalehileman,
Re: comma after "tale". I think possibly but not necessarily. We should wait for Centrox on that one.
dalehileman

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2017 04:21 pm
@Ponderer,
Quote:
wait for Centrox
Yea Pon but I'd argue it's absolutely unequivocally necessary to infinity

Darwin kite surfer, Chris Keating's tale is an eerily similar account
Midwest drinking companion, John Nattleng's tale is eerily similar, doncha think...
ehBeth

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2017 04:25 pm
@diyaba,
diyaba wrote:

Her story, including the canoe she was paddling,

the physical canoe is not part of the written story - that only happens in pop-up books

__

I think you've got a fair bit of editing to do in the sample you've provided.

0 Replies

Ponderer

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2017 09:49 pm
@dalehileman,
Is that about a bar fight?
0 Replies