Canadian Court Approves Same-Sex Marriage

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 11:49 am
Quote:
TORONTO (AP) - In a landmark opinion, Canada's Supreme Court said Thursday the government can redefine marriage to include same-sex couples.

However, the court added that religious officials cannot be forced to perform unions against their beliefs, and the legislation to allow gay marriage must still pass with a majority of the House of Commons.

Canada would join Belgium and the Netherlands in allowing gay marriage if the government rules that it is legal nationwide.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20041209/D86S84S00.html

What do you think? If gay marriage is legalized in Canada, will it have any effect on US attitudes?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,157 • Replies: 17
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 11:51 am
One can only hope, Phoenix.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 11:51 am
Right on Canehdia!
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 11:52 am
The US will probably move further away from legalising gay marriage as a lot of americans despise anything Canadian. My impression anyway.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 11:54 am
cavfancier wrote:
One can only hope, Phoenix.

Yeah........... I was so disappointed when the gay marriage bills got shot down in the last election. It really annoys me when people take a "holier than thou" (literally) attitude, when a sincere couple wants to "make it legal".
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 12:03 pm
I suppose, Einherjar is right here again.

Effect on US attitudes?

Perhaps same more US-American refugees/asylum seekers for second largest country in the world.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 12:15 pm
Einherjar wrote:
The US will probably move further away from legalising gay marriage as a lot of americans despise anything Canadian. My impression anyway.

Everyone I know loves Canada. We think you guys are great here!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 12:26 pm
The high court concluded that the federal government has the right to legalize same-sex marriage but declined to rule on the question of whether the traditional definition of marriage was constitutional or not under the Charter.

In making its decision, the high court also noted that "the guarantee of religious freedom in s. 2(a) of the Charter is broad enough to protect religious officials from being compelled by the state to perform civil or religious same-sex marriages that are contrary to their religious beliefs."

The Canadian Supreme Court's judgment online: Reference re Same-Sex Marriage
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 02:00 pm
Canada welcomes the 21st century, while the U.S. retreats to the 19th century. Don't we claim to be the leaders of the free world?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 02:11 pm
Let us hope civilization spreads south.

All the way to Oz - not just the US.

On ya Canada!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 03:41 pm
Thanks to cavfancier's aunt, the good judge Ruth M. , for having had a hand in this important decision.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 03:44 pm
Now - THAT is interesting!

Go Cav's auntie!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 03:46 pm
I wasn't gonna say nuttin'....
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 03:50 pm
Heck - I'm proud that I've met a relative of hers!

Gotta give her her props.

I was thinking of her contribution this morning when I heard that the announcement was about to be made.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 04:20 pm
When does the house vote on it? Soon I hope.
I hear alberta's gearing up for another losing battle. I wish those conservative/alliance/reformer rednecks would stop wasting my money. Irony.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 04:26 pm
From what I hear, Alberta and probably Saskatchewan will fight this tooth and nail. Interesting, from a strictly legal point of view, that the high court stopped short of actually saying that, sure, gay marrage is legal. It just threw the ball back into the legislative court by saying, sure, you have the right to make it legal if you wish.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 05:10 pm
Saskatechewan recently gave the right of marriage to Homosexuals.They were the 5th or 6th province to do so. Alberta will stupidly go this one alone. Considering this is Texas north, americans will probably be glued to this case. The government will lose theis battle. They are afraid they will lose face if they concede before the case is lost. It's better to be seen as forced to do the unpleasant than actually be seen as weak, I guess.
_and waste my hard earned tax dollars, (a constant whine of the conservative party)

Mind you, there are plenty of people here who are solidly behind the supreme court's findings, especially in Edmonton.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 07:28 pm
Didn't know that about Saskatechewan, Ceili. Thanx for straightening me out.
0 Replies