"Dimebag" Assassinated

cjhsa

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 04:11 pm
Sure, Diamond Dimebag was a fine metal guitarist and he'll be missed. May his soul rest in peace. Out.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 04:13 pm
One of my employees is the singer in a goth/industrial band of some repute that regularly does national tours. He was quite shaken by the news of Mr Abbott's murder. He was, Andy said, a very, very fine guitarist.
Police may not figure out a motive, but Andy suggested that the evolution from Pantera to Damageplan apparently left some fans unhappy.
Any thoughts on that, pan?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 08:16 pm
Are military recruiters really having such a hard time finding good candidates?

Quote:
He served in the United States Marine Corps from February 2002 through November 2003, but did not serve his full term, Hollingsworth reported. The USMC would not give the circumstances of his discharge, Hollingsworth reported.
http://www.nbc4i.com/news/3985244/detail.html

Quote:
A lovelorn ex-Navy diver was acquitted Tuesday of stalking rock star Sheryl Crow -- and promptly accused her of making too much of it.

All he wanted to do, he testified, was ask Crow to marry him.

link

who are these people?
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 08:42 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
I was shot through the hip in 1981 in Charlotte by a jealous boyfriend...no ****.....

Shocked while you were on stage playing? duuuuuude...
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 08:53 pm
Region Philbis wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
I was shot through the hip in 1981 in Charlotte by a jealous boyfriend...no ****.....

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Gee whiz, Bear,... a jealous boyfriend?

I've never heard of Dimebag (does Dimebag refer to marijuana or cocaine?) but obviously, getting shot on stage is horrible. Very sorry for his family and friends and fans.

http://images.millimeter.com/files/46/namm2003/Dimebag-.jpg
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 10:07 am
Have to agree with cj and others that the policeman saved more lives. I don't know what's going on...I'm at a loss.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 10:59 am
Apparently ( no proof given )
The crazed fan was pissed that they had broken up.
Rolling Eyes

My husband and I were talking about this last night (we are big metal/pantera fans)
One thing we realized .. is.. this is now going to become the next -fad-. Like school shootings.
Not to down play school shootings or to take away from the horror that they were , but, it seems that when one person gets away with or at least accomplishes something horrifying such as this, everyone else jumps on the bandwagon.
Myself and my husband were wondering.. why this hasnt happened before? Obviously it happens.. BPB was shot. But think of how much simple access a fan has to a singer in a concert. No metal detectors, no REAL searching.. nothing. Anyone anywhere can walkin and shoot.
Sadly.. if my ideas become truth and it starts to be a craze to shoot at performers we can say good bye to many musical talents and good bye to a long loved past time... Concerts.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 11:57 am
There are pat-downs here for most club concerts - and definitely at all concerts at big venues.

The movie place I go to has you go through a metal detector - and does pat-downs.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 12:01 pm
Guns are made small enough to fit in your back pocket.. or other places. Pat downs can only legally touch you in certain places. Small venues usually dont bother. That is the sad part. I know here in austin there are MANY if not hundreds of little dives that you can go to , to listen to a band and they hardly check ID's .
I hope hope HOPE that changes soon
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 12:15 pm
Things are different in a big city in Canada. The clubs are quite thorough in the searches and examinations. They confiscate cellphones before you go into some movie theatres (piracy etc) - they're thorough <nods>.

You can't bring in food from outside to sporting events - no blankets ... they know more about you than your grandmother before you get in.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 03:19 pm
Ironic, I think, that a country like Canada, where guns are not nearly as available as they are in the States, has far, far tighter security at these places than the US has ever considered having. Pat-downs at concerts? 'Murrican fans would be enraged.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 03:21 pm
I'm going to see the Phantom of the Opera film in about 10 days. I expect to go through a metal detector, and to have my purse/bag/knapsack searched (at least once). If I were going on a Thursday, Friday or Saturday I'd be patted down for sure as well. The joy of going anywhere in the club district.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 05:22 pm
I can't imagine the kind of security screening yall are suggesting. But there are some pretty weird people out there and they have ready access to weapons. I read the story about the shooter of Mr Abbott and the others...and the conjectured motive.
My employee Andy is playing NYC Sat night with his group, He claims he is not at all worried: "Goths would rather faint than fight."
If you happen to be at Albion/Batcave (251 W 30th St) at around 10:30 pm Sat you can see their show, which I have never seen because they start so late.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2004 02:07 am
Region Philbis wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

no, in the hotel parking lot afer the gig. He followed us.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2004 11:04 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio (Dec. 11) - The man who gunned down former Pantera guitarist "Dimebag'' Darrell Abbott during a concert was an obsessed fan of Abbott's former band and alarmed people with his bizarre behavior, a one-time friend said Friday.

Nathan Gale had told friends that Pantera musicians had stolen lyrics from him and were trying to steal his identity, former friend Dave Johnson said.

Gale, 25, charged the stage Wednesday at a show by Abbott's new band, Damageplan, and gunned down four people including Abbott before a police officer shot him to death. Two others were wounded.

Investigators said they may never know Gale's motive. Some witnesses said he yelled accusations that the influential heavy metal guitarist broke up Pantera, but police had not verified those reports.

Gale once showed up at a friend's house with songs he said he had written, said Johnson, 27. He wanted to sing the songs with Johnson's band but one musician said no because the lyrics were copied from Pantera.

"He'd been kind of weird before that so we thought it was another 'Crazy Nate' thing,'' Johnson said. "That was our nickname for him, 'Crazy Nate.'''

Johnson said Gale then calmly said that Pantera had stolen the lyrics from him and he was going to sue them. He also said the band was trying to steal his identity.

Johnson said Gale was a "hardcore'' Pantera fan and "that was all he listened to.''

Johnson said he last saw Gale in their hometown of Marysville, about 25 miles northwest of Columbus, about six months ago. He had distanced himself from Gale by then because of odd behavior that included talking and laughing to himself and once appearing to be holding an imaginary dog, he said.

Getty Images
Dimebag Darrell performs with Damageplan in New York in April.

An imposing figure at 6-foot-3, Gale had made people uneasy at a Marysville tattoo parlor, staring and locking them into conversations about heavy metal music.

When he played offensive line for the semi-pro Lima Thunder football team, he psyched himself up before games by piping Pantera music into his headphones, coach Mark Green said.

"He seemed like a normal guy you would meet any other day,'' said Anthony Bundy, 20, who lived on the same block as Gale. "He was a keep-to-yourself type of person. He was real quiet.''

Hours before the shootings, Gale got into an argument with a worker at the tattoo studio over some equipment he wanted the studio to order for him. He later angrily walked out of the shop.

The worker, Bo Toler, said he thought Gale had come to the tattoo parlor because he wanted somebody to hang out with. "I just thought he was quiet. I thought he had low-self esteem because of his thick glasses,'' Toler said.

Gale had had minor run-ins with police since 1997 but wasn't considered a troublemaker, authorities said.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2004 12:42 pm
Thanks She, I hadn't seen any follow up. I guess security is going to be tightened wherever a crowd congregates.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2004 01:26 pm
Damn, there are some f'd up people out there.

Dimebag was an incredible guitarist. Pantera has some GREAT albums.

I paid tribute by going to a bar last night with 4 metal bands. Awesome stuff.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2004 07:14 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Region Philbis wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

no, in the hotel parking lot afer the gig. He followed us.

and? AND??

(if u don't wanna go into it BPB, that's cool)
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2004 07:56 pm
Im surprised that there isnt a referance to his listening to heavy metal music... remember the 80's? When people were shooting each other and themselves and the BANDS were being sued for thier lyrics? calling them subliminal messages, suggestive, and controlling?
I would not be surprised if , in a few months, there is a report somewhere that states this crazy bas*ard was going insane because of the music he was listening to. >sigh<
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2004 08:49 pm
last night we dedicated "Metal Gods" to Dimebag at our show.......

Region the guy who shot me ended up beaten half to death by the band members and thrown into the motel dumpster.....I saw him once after and he wouldn't make eye contact.....because it was the proverbial flesh wound and kind of dug a furrow in the fleshy part of my hip, I did an outdoor gig the next day...I was lucky...another little bit and it would have hit bone and f*#ked me up real badly....the humourous thing is I didn't even remember doing his old lady.... he ended up worse off than me...on the receiving end of a beating you only see in the movies usually...... boys will be boys.....
0 Replies