"Dimebag" Assassinated

panzade

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 10:03 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - A gunman charged onstage at a packed nightclub and opened fire on the band and crowd, killing top heavy metal guitarist "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott and three other people before a police officer shot him to death, authorities and witnesses said.

Police spokeswoman Sherry Mercurio identified three of the victims of Wednesday's shooting as Abbott, who played for the Texas-based band Damageplan, and two other men, Nathan Bray, 23; and Erin Halk, 29.

She identified the gunman as Nathan Gale, 25, of Marysville, 25 miles northwest of Columbus. She said there was no information on a motive or any connection to the band.

Damageplan had just begun its first song at Alrosa Villa club when the man shot Abbott five or six times at point-blank range, a witness said.

Abbott, 38, one of metal's top guitarists, and his brother, Damageplan drummer Vinnie Paul Abbott, were members of Pantera, the Grammy-nominated thrash-rock pioneer that enjoyed wide popularity in the early 1990s.

The witness, 22-year-old Chris Couch, said he was standing about 30 feet from the stage when he saw a man wearing a hooded sweat shirt walk up to the stage, followed by a bouncer and another club employee.

The man in the sweat shirt climbed onto the stage, started yelling and opened fire on the guitarist, then shot a bouncer who pulled him off the musician, Couch said.

Police spokesman Sgt. Brent Mull said that after shooting at band members, the gunman fired into the crowd. The gunman was shot and killed by patrol officer James D. Niggemeyer, who arrived shortly after the shooting began, police said.

"If the officer wasn't as close as he was, I think this would have been a lot worse," Mull said. "It was a chaotic scene, just a horrific scene."

Mercurio said Niggemeyer, 31, was patrolling nearby when he heard the call about the shooting. He entered the club through a back door and was directed to the stage, where he saw one person lying dead and the suspect holding onto another person, Mercurio said. His deadly shot probably saved other lives, Mercurio said.

The name of the fifth person killed was not immediately released. Mercurio said family members were still being notified.

Thursday morning, a dozen yellow roses, still in plastic wrap, lay near the entry to the low-slung beige building that since 1974 has hosted mostly heavy metal acts. The 641-person-capacity club, just off a freeway exit on the city's north side, sits amid motels, small businesses and office complexes.

After the shooting began, Couch and a friend headed for the exit along with a tide of hundreds of fans.

"It was definitely a grudge. It was against something," Couch said.

Amanda Stankus, 19, who attended the show with Couch, said she initially thought the shooting was part of the show. "I just saw the guitarist fall down, and we decided to get out of there," she said.

The Abbott brothers produced Damageplan's debut album, "New Found Power," which was released in February. Other band members are vocalist Patrick Lachman and bassist Bob Zilla.

"Damageplan carries on the tradition Pantera started, the ... hell-raising tradition we were all about," Vinnie Paul Abbott told The Dallas Morning News in October. "We do play some Pantera songs. Me and Dime wrote them, and we feel like we have the right to play them. But the focus is on Damageplan.

"It took awhile for some of the Pantera fans to accept it; we knew that was gonna be the case," he said. "Change is something that people have a hard time accepting. But me and Dime intended on doing this our whole lives."

A message left with Atlantic Records Group, which oversees Damageplan's label Elektra, was not immediately returned.

Damageplan's Web site said Darrel and Vinnie Abbott grew up in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, where their father, country songwriter Jerry Abbott, owned a recording studio.

Telephone numbers for Darrell and Jerry Abbott are unlisted and could not be reached early Thursday by The Associated Press.

Pantera, known for its fast, aggressive sound, recorded several albums in the 1990s, attracting a massive cult following. The third release, "Far Beyond Driven," debuted at No. 1 in 1994, surprising chart-watchers and critics alike. Other hit albums were "The Great Southern Trendkill" and "Reinventing The Steel." A song by the band became the Dallas Stars hockey team's signature tune in 1999.

Pantera was nominated for Grammies for best metal performance in 1995 for "I'm Broken" and in 2001 for "Revolution Is My Name."

The video "The Best of Pantera: Far Beyond the Great Southern Cowboys' Vulgar Hits" hit the top 10 for music-video sales earlier this year; another video, "3-Watch It Go," hit the top 10 in 1998.

The shootings came exactly 24 years after John Lennon was shot to death outside his New York apartment building by a deranged fan.

Dozens of messages were posted to the Dallas band's Web site after the shootings.

"This is the worst day in metal history," one posting read.

"The metal world feels your pain," another wrote.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,269 • Replies: 55
No top replies

panzade

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 10:07 am
As a musician, the dread that this horrific act instills in me is incalculable.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 10:08 am
I'm sure, Panzade. I thought of you guys -- the various musicians of A2K -- when I read about this.

(Columbus and guns again. Evil or Very Mad)
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 10:17 am
Being on stage is the ultimate act of vulnerability.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 11:11 am
24 years after lennon, musicians are still being killed. The most powerful weapon is imagination but music doesn't kill, guns do.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 11:53 am
hoping for 2 things --

1. they lock that @#$%^&* up and throw away the key.
2. the small venues start mandatory frisking/metal detectors.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 11:58 am
THey'll lock that *&%^%^ up alright, in a coffin 6 feet under.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 12:00 pm
I was shot through the hip in 1981 in Charlotte by a jealous boyfriend...no ****.....
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 12:05 pm
with a bullet?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 12:15 pm
well yeah with a bullet.... Laughing
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 12:19 pm
no sh*t.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 03:34 pm
I've come close, but I'm too tough to kill.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 03:49 pm
Ceili wrote:
24 years after lennon, musicians are still being killed. The most powerful weapon is imagination but music doesn't kill, guns do.

No, guns don't kill. People do.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 03:55 pm
CJ, every chance you get....mind taking a break?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 03:58 pm
Let me expand on this a bit. If anyone was watching, Ted Nugent was on Fox News today and addressed this atrocity.

Here's the deal. Even if you have a CCW license, you cannot by law carry in establishments where alcohol is served. Thus, even the bouncers have only their muscles to protect themselves. LEO's are not allowed to work as private security even if they are currently on leave from their job. Thus, these people were very fortunate that a LEO was not far away, and was able to terminate the perp before he shot anyone else. If one honest, licensed person had been armed they might have been able to prevent at least three of these murders.

Lose your rights, lose your life. Bad people are everywhere.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 04:00 pm
panzade wrote:
CJ, every chance you get....mind taking a break?

It's called "hammer time".
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 04:02 pm
people with guitars don't kill
people with guns do, they do it with knives, and baseball bats, and pencils too, but generally... musicians just play tunes, they don't kill anyone, but themselves sometimes, and then generally that's done with a gun, or a knife or a pill, but again, I digress. Imagination and the ability to express such a talent is not meant to maim and kill, while firing a gun into a crowded dance floor is.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 04:04 pm
Yes, it is pure stupidity and a criminal act. Don't blame and condemn decent people for acts committed by criminals.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 04:05 pm
Gotta agree with cjhsa on this. How many more people would have been killed if a cop with a gun hadn't been handy to end the mayhem? The anti-gun people get no sympathy from me. You might argue that it would be better if there were no guns. But that's trying to put the genie back in the bottle. Once something like that is invented, it won't go away. All one can do is use firearms responsibly and try to make sure everybody else does, too.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 04:05 pm
OK cj, you're baaad and nationwide. Got any other views on this tragedy?
0 Replies