Zoroastrianism and Jesus

rmurphy

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 10:43 am
Does anyone know of any references in the Zend Avesta or other religious texts mentioning a "Christ" figure?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 977 • Replies: 10
No top replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 12:16 am
Do you mean 'Christ' as in 'a wise dude telling people how to live' or 'Christ' as in 'son of god'
0 Replies

dauer

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 01:30 pm
Or as in a savior figure?
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 02:09 pm
Or as 'Hey, this guy can do some pretty neat tricks - show us the one with the wine again!'
0 Replies

rmurphy

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 09:05 pm
Nice. Yea, I mean as in the New Testament. You know, Jesus Christ??? Im just curious about how the wise men/magi could have known about His birth...
0 Replies

dauer

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 11:14 pm
http://www.livius.org/maa-mam/magians/magians.html

That's on the magi. You might want to see what you can find on the sayoshant or saoshyant or soshyans, which is what I was talking about. The soshyans is a savior figure in Zoroastrianism that may have influenced the role of the messiah, especially in Christianity.

The Zoroastrian sacred texts are available here:

http://www.avesta.org/avesta.html

Good hunting.

Dauer
0 Replies

sunlover

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 08:07 pm
The man's name was Jesus, but Christ was not his last name. Jesus was "Christed" by God, which means he was united with the father of us all, who is within us, a part of us. He was one with God. Just as Jesus told us, he came as an example. Any of us can do what he did. Isn't that what he told us, "You can do anything I have done, even more so.." But, we have to bring this union (rebirth) to fruition by ourselves, nobody will do it for us!
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2004 11:04 am
sunlover wrote:
The man's name was Jesus, but Christ was not his last name. Jesus was "Christed" by God, which means he was united with the father of us all, who is within us, a part of us. He was one with God. Just as Jesus told us, he came as an example. Any of us can do what he did. Isn't that what he told us, "You can do anything I have done, even more so.." But, we have to bring this union (rebirth) to fruition by ourselves, nobody will do it for us!

So mate like rabbits, people!
0 Replies

rmurphy

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 09:22 am
hingehead wrote:
Or as 'Hey, this guy can do some pretty neat tricks - show us the one with the wine again!'

Thanks for the info. By the way, I completely respect anyone who quotes Laurie Anderson. I have been a fan since her exhibit at the Hirshorn in the 80's.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 09:35 am
Back a few years...the pope came to visit the U.S.

One of his stops included saying mass with huge attendance in Giants Stadium.

That was the same year the Giants season stunk almost as much as this last one did.

Several people noted that the Giants were at least as effective at getting people in the stands to yell out "Jesus Christ!" as was the pope.

Not sure what that has to do with you thread, Murphy, but it was a story that begged being told in this thread.
0 Replies

rmurphy

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 09:38 am
Wow Frank, very informational. Good story.
0 Replies