crickets

Seed

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 01:08 pm
so why is it that fish will eat the brown crickets but not the black ones? anyone ever notice this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,625 • Replies: 19
No top replies

fishin

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 03:10 pm
They don't? I used to fish for crappie with black crickets all the time. Never had any problem using them as bait.
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 07:39 pm
when i fish for brim they wont touch the stuff
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 03:37 pm
Interest-ink! You are using live crickets no? Are black crickets native to your area?
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 06:36 pm
both brown and black are native here
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 06:42 pm
Crickets? My Gawd fishin' and Seed. They are good luck creatures. Don't you both know that the Chinese put a cricket in a cricket box as a warning sign. If the cricket doesn't chirp, there is evil afoot.

Hey, fishin', I thought you used flys. (frowns in disapproval) Razz
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 06:48 pm
Letty all i can tell you is that "we learn from those who teach" and my grandfather didnt like using warms... he used crickets and so he showed me how to use them... and thats what i usually use when i fish with cane poles. im sorry letty, though i did know about the chinese and the crickets. (Disney's Mulian :-D)
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 07:00 pm
Well, Seed. When I did surf fishing, I used sand fleas. My son told me that they had no nervous system, so they didn't feel pain.

But they struggled

and, of course, the pompano that I caught got deaded, too.

Well, if Noah can get swallowed by a whale, I guess it all equals out in the long line of the food chain..

Wow! I need to find "The Animal that Drank up Sound" fantastic poem. The cricket saved the world from the moon.
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 07:03 pm
lol... just a side note Letty... it was Joahan (sp?) that was swallowed by the whale... Smile i havnt read those poems... please do find and post..
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 07:12 pm
<smile> Seed, It is a lovely poem by William Stafford. Somehow google has rebelled. Later, my friend.
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 07:17 pm
alrighty then...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 07:25 pm
Seed wrote:
lol... just a side note Letty... it was Joahan (sp?) that was swallowed by the whale... Smile i havnt read those poems... please do find and post..

Jonah.
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 07:29 pm
ah there we go... thank you dlowan... im a horrible speller if you havnt noticed by now.... any idea on the crickets?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 07:36 pm
Oops, Jonah in the whale, Noah in the ark. Sorry Johnny Mercer.

This is all that I could find on The Animal that Drank up Sound:

An animal that needed sound'' comes down to consume it entirely: as a leaping fish descends, ``the water died''; the animal ``drained the rustle from the leaves'' and ``drank till winter...[and until] It was finally tall and still, and he stopped on the highest ridge...and from there he walked on silently and began to starve.'' The world lies silent beneath the moon until at last a cricket's chirping initiates the renewal of sound, together with the life of ``our precious world.'' Stafford's language is fresh and muscular, his imagery compelling, though at first reading the imaginative leap from winter's silence to the seasonal cycle of death and rebirth is startling. Frasier provides sophisticated collages of simple forms cut from specially made striated paper, their predominantly somber tones brightened with fall's red and spring's green; ``the animal'' looks like a black polar bear. Altogether, the whole is more striking and unusual than attractive, the product of genuine talent yet somewhat labored. A BOMC selection. (Picture book. 4-8 & adult) -- Copyright ©1992, Kirkus Associates, LP. All rights reserved.

Okay.

I get caught up in Johnny Mercer's "Accentuate the Positive" What a fabulous writer and singer as well.
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 07:38 pm
i've never heard of the man ... but thats good stuff
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 07:41 pm
Try "I was only fifteen", (I think) The rites of passage.

Deb, I borrowed your word "deaded"... Razz
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 07:50 pm
I believe "deaded" may originate with the Goons!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 07:55 pm
Seed wrote:
ah there we go... thank you dlowan... im a horrible speller if you havnt noticed by now.... any idea on the crickets?

I love crickets! I have no knowledge of their use in fishing.

Mebbe the black ones remind the fish of something which tastes nasty?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 08:28 pm
Letty wrote:
Hey, fishin', I thought you used flys. (frowns in disapproval) Razz

I do for trout! Very Happy I haven't used crickets since I was in my early teens.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 09:29 pm
Odd the things that we remember. I recall all of our exchanges on "Only Women Bleed".

My Dad in hip boots wading the streams of anywhere; tieing his flys and a young letty trying to impress him by proudly bringing home a redeye caught with a worm. I think my cat ate the remnants.
0 Replies