Your 2004 mix tape

kitchenpete

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 05:50 am
Boomerang

Interesting insight. I hadn't constructed it as a list "for" anyone in particular...maybe just my state of mind. I've been "ready" for a relationship for a while, I think, but only within the last month or so have I met a woman who I think I can consider to show real potential as a partner.

As for "why" I've chosen these tracks - let's see:

1 Alannis Morissette - This Grudge [Very beautiful, sad and expressive tune with words which express her turbulent but distant relationship with her father - it goes some way to explaining many of her earlier "angry" songs.]

2 There is a God - Geri Allen; Regina Carter [Utterly, utterly, beautiful. Regina Carter is a jazz violinist who puts immense passion into her music. I found this on a jazz compilation and bought an album of her on her own as a result. The title expresses very well the "spirit" of the tune - uplifting, rich with texture and rounded in its phrasing and overall construction. Brilliant.]

3 Sophisticated Lady - Duke Ellington [I bougth a 4CD box set of the Duke's works last year and was amazed at how good most of it was. A true genius and this, while a very well known tune, is fantastically played.]

4 Somewhere only we know - Keane [Great album, great tune, words which express very well some of the emotions of being single in your 30s!]

5 Memphis Soul Stew - King Curtis [Just great fun.]

6 The Closest Thing To Crazy - Katie Melua [Isn't this the way we'd all LIKE to feel about love?]

7 Dry Your Eyes - Streets [Superb album - worth listening to right through as a narrative, but this has hit a chord with men all over the UK and given women the chance to see that men aren't just hard unfeeling beings.]

8 Azul Anil - Gabin (Album: Gabin) [Great chill tune with a beat which moves things along nicely. A real "summer's day" of a tune.]

9 Gute Loune - Tosca (Album: Delhi 9) [For the same reasons as the Gabin tune.]

10 Milkshake - Kelis [Heard this while driving to/from skiing in Tahoe, last February. Wonderful layered beats - not exactly easy listening but keeps those feet tapping.]

11 Lose Yourself - Eminem (Album: 8 Mile) [Love the energy of this track - fantastic motivational song for running to.]

12 Love's Theme - Love Unlimited Orchestra (Album: Another Late Night- Howie B) [This is an istrumental which uses the tune from Oddyssey's "Native New Yorker" - a classic party tune.]

I hope that adds something to the list.

KP
0 Replies

AllanSwann

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 05:15 pm
These 12 would be a good mix tape for me ANY year, IMHO:

1. "I Feel Fine", The Beatles;

2. "Honky Tonk Woman", The Rolling Stones;

3. "Every Grain Of Sand", Bob Dylan;

4. "Baby Don't Do It", The Band <Live version>;

5. "One More Saturday Night", The Grateful Dead <Live version>;

6. "Brand New Day", Sting;

7. "It's So Easy To Slip", Little Feat;

8. "Key To The Highway", Eric Clapton <Live version>;

9. "Comin' Apart At Every Nail", Neil Young;

10. "Free Man In Paris", Joni Mitchell;

11. "Sister Ray," Velvet Underground;

12. "Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End", The Beatles.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 06:57 pm
This song would be on my 2004 mix tape - somehow - or bits and pieces of it - not because of anything literal, but just for the general feeling, and some key words:

Quote:

(from: The Body Breaks, Devendra Banhart)

The body breaks and the body is fine
I'm open to yours and I'm open to mine

The body aches and that ache takes it time
But you'll get over yours and I'll get over mine

And the sun will shine
And the moon will rise

The body calls
Yeah the body it calls out
It whispers at first but it ends with a shout

The body burns
Yeah the body burns strong
Until mine is with yours
Then mine will burn on

The body sways like the wind on a swing
A bridge through a hoop
Or a lake through a ring

The body stays and then the body moves on

And I'd really rather not dwell on when yours will be gone

-------

Hmm, interesting. Looking up the lyrics (full lyrics here) I came upon this review that in turn says a lot too ...

Quote:

But his intentions are hardly worth dissecting when the songs so innocently deliver listeners into the album's strange yet familiar world. As odd as the nonsensicals seem, they are comforting, too, like nursery rhymes and lullabies that, upon inspection, reveal subjects including the Black Death and babies falling out of trees.

Such childhood tunes soothe regardless of content, and Rejoicing charms because Banhart rarely lets on that he's even aware of how little sense he's making. In the album's opener, "This Is the Way," Banhart sings:

This is the soup that I believe in.
This is the smoke I'm always breathing.
This is the way I share my breakfast.
This is the way I serve my sentence...
This is the sound that swims inside me.
That circle sound is what surrounds me.

With Banhart's gently assuring voice, this quirky litany instantly convinces. Soup? Yes, I believe in it, too. Stating the peculiar as if true: this is the way he suspends our disbelief.

He doesn't always need to, though [..]. While this bard's music can't be accurately described without "strange" and its many synonyms, it also can't escape the tag of sincerity. The caressing beards and dancing teeth are mere cover-ups for the melancholy that colors almost every pluck and whisper. Being a rational grown-up is plain tiring; Rejoicing is a respite, a world created with the very double-faced emotions from which we want to escape in the first place.

0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 09:00 pm
kitchenpete wrote:
1 Alannis Morissette - This Grudge (Album: So-Called Chaos)
2 There is a God - Geri Allen; Regina Carter (Album: The Detroit Experiment)
3 Sophisticated Lady - Duke Ellington
4 Somewhere only we know - Keane (Album: Hopes And Fears)
5 Memphis Soul Stew - King Curtis (Album: Plays Great Memphis Hits/King Size Soul)
6 The Closest Thing To Crazy - Katie Melua (Album: Call off the Search)
7 Dry Your Eyes - Streets (Album: A Grand Don't Come for Free)
8 Azul Anil - Gabin (Album: Gabin)
9 Gute Loune - Tosca (Album: Delhi 9)
10 Milkshake - Kelis
11 Lose Yourself - Eminem (Album: 8 Mile)
12 Love's Theme - Love Unlimited Orchestra (Album: Another Late Night- Howie B)

Intrigueing mix, Pete! Only ones I know are the King Curtis, Streets and Eminem ones, but with Tosca, Howie B, Kelis and Duke Ellington on there too, its gotta be a good set, all together.

EDIT: I added the Regina Carter, Duke Ellington, Keane, Gabin, Tosca and Kelis tracks to my to-download list!
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 09:36 pm
And this one is sooo last year's song (or the year before that) ... and its so NOT gonna be in my current mix ... not in any form like this, any case ...

Quote:
TV on the Radio: Ambulance

Your slim frame
Your eager eyes and your wild mane
Oh they keep me where I belong
All wrapped up in wrong

You're to blame
For wasted words of sad refrain
Oh let them take me where they may
Believe me when I say

I will be your accident if you will be my ambulance
And I will be your screech and crash if you will be my crutch and cast
And I will be your one more time if you will be my one last chance
oh fall for me

Your slim frame
Your simple stare and your wrong, wrong name
Oh they keep me where I belong
All strung out in song [..]

Oh sweet sweet tree
Fall for me
Fall fast, fall free, fall for me

Because I will be your ambulance if you will be my accident
And I will be your screech and crash if you will be my crutch and cast
And I will be your one more time if you will be my one last chance

Oh sweet tree, fall with me
Fall fast, fall free, fall with me
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 04:44 pm
I feel like I'm spamming this thread ... not to mention starting to sound like a broken record ...

I was listening a lot to this song last summer ... it definitely deserves making it to my "story of the year" mix ... even tho I totally misinterpreted it, reading a poignant ambiguity in the bits that I caught on with that, on reread, just isnt present in the full lyrics of what's just a saccharine-sweet love song ... But for me its got a "double floor", as we say, anyway.

Quote:

(From) Bobby Caldwell's What you won't do for love

What you won't do
Do for love
You try everything
But you don't give up

I came back to let you know
Got a thing for you and I can't let go
I can't believe the things I do for you

What you won't do
Do for love

Do for love
What I would not do

What I would not do

0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 06:37 pm
Hey kitchenpete. Thanks for the explaination.

<sigh>

I envy you that promise of new love. That is one of the most exciting feelings. I hope things work out in the best way possible. Sometimes it is just that readiness that makes things feel wonderful.

Hi Allan Swan - great list for any year, I agree! It seems like we like a lot of the same stuff. "Golden Slumbers" is my favorite Beatles song for very sentimental reasons.

nimh... you.... spam?... never.

It sounds like you've had some hard love this year.

Your last selection reminds me of a Meatloaf song that once held a special place in my head

"I want you
I need you
But there ain't no way
I'm ever gonna love you
But don't feel sad
Cause two out of three ain't bad"

Sorry.

God I was such a bitch back then.

Girls can be so heartless.

I'm about to settle in on some more for my list. Hopefully they will reflect that I have grown up....
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 06:43 pm
Reviewing this thread I realized that I missed JoeFX's post!

I'd really like to hear that song. I like the lyrics very much. That seems like a powerful song to send in a new year.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 06:56 pm
Wow! I just found that I had only picked four songs so far. I've still got 8 to go! Maybe I shouldn't be so picky.

So far:

Smackwater Jack - Carole King
American Idiot - Green Day
You Can't Always Get What you Want - Stones
My Baby Thinks S/Hes a Train - Asleep at the Wheel
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 07:05 pm
I'm going to add "Jesus, Etc" from Wilco for this line which continue to stir me even though I'm not a particularly religious person:

Our love is all of God's money

And for these lines because it was just this year that I learned what it meant to be relied on:

Jesus, don't cry
You can rely on me honey
You can come by any time you want
I'll be around
You were right about the stars
Every one is a setting sun

Also, I think it is one of the most hauntingly beautiful songs I've ever heard.

I think I'll add Aimee Man's "Save Me" too. Maybe to make up for the bitch I once was:

Can you save me
From the ranks
Of the freaks
Who suspect
They will never love anyone?

(I've been saved twice in my life so I think I'm doing pretty good now.)
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 07:23 pm
Boomerang, no need to say "sorry" about those Meatloaf lyrics - they actually made me LOL

Here's another song (or snippets from it) - Happy Birthday, by Sufjan Stevens - I can't find the lyrics online (which is amazing enough) and since most of the text appears to be of the Jabberwocky kind, I can't ever quite be sure what it is he exactly sings - but I think this is the refrain:

Quote:

I'm sorry, I'm sorry
that life is anxious life is mean
I'm sorry, I'm sorry
A pair of shoes is what you need

I'm happy I'm happy
your birthday brings a pardoning
I'm happy I'm happy
You're like a bird that will not be

<adding Wilco's Jesus, Etc. to his to-download list>
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 07:36 pm
<whew>

I was once accused of having "very masculine attitudes regarding sex and love" and I always worry when I confess to such thing.

I think the Meatloaf lyrics really sum that part of me up very well.

Let me know what you think of "Jesus, Etc" when you hear it. I've heard a lot of different "talk" about what it "means". Keep in mind that it was written in 2000.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 08:36 pm
I spent many sleepless nights this year until my brother, a soldier, returned from Iraq. From the day I was born he was my best friend. While he was gone I used to listen to this song by the beautiful Marvin Gaye and it would be almost like a little prayer -- it should be included on this years mix tape:

Mother, mother
There's too many of you crying
Brother, brother, brother
There's far too many of you dying
You know we've got to find a way
To bring some lovin' here today

--"Whats going on"
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2004 03:49 pm
djjd62 wrote:
might i suggest the flaming lips cover of "what a wonderful world"

I ended up adding both this cover and Ramone's to my playlist.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2004 05:44 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
djjd62 wrote:
might i suggest the flaming lips cover of "what a wonderful world"

I ended up adding both this cover and Ramone's to my playlist.

i love the louis armstrong version of this song, but the lips version and wayne coynes explanation of how the cover came about have made theirs my fave version

from the liner notes of the flaming lips album "the day they shot a hole in the jesus egg"

"(what a ) wonderful world - when we were justifying the reason for doing this song, we were...avoiding the truth. we had convinced ourselves we were doing the song sarcastically - really meaning "it's an evil sh*tty world"...but luckily, the song being of such power and quality, our optimism and enthusiasm shine despite our intentions"
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 04:46 pm
Hmm, trip out.

I thought I'd do this another way - by simply looking up what tracks I've played most this past year. On my PC, anyway, cant track the CDs much of course.

But the list my computer spews out is *totally* unexpected. Well weird. Not that there's anything wrong with these tracks or anything. Just that I hadnt necessarily expected them to be on top of the most-played list.

They roughly fall into two categories: the mostly pre-war jazz and blues I play to unwind and the more modern (if not necessarily new) stuff.

The "pre-war" list, yeah, those are tracks I know I've been playing a lot, tho they come out a bit monotonously this way!:

1. Ray Noble & his Orchestra, w/ Al Bowlly - It's All Forgotten Now
2. Paul Robeson With Ray Noble - Blue Prelude
3. The Ray Noble Band w/ Al Bowlly - Midnight, The Stars And You
4. Ray Noble & the New Mayfair Orchestra - Repeal the Blues
5. Anita O'Day & Gene Krupa - Skylark
6. King Oliver - Papa De Da Da
7. Hoagy Carmichael - Skylark
8. Paul Whiteman & Hoagy Carmichael - Washboard Blues
9. Marian Anderson - Tramping
10. Jack Hylton & his Orchestra - Did You Mean It

The "post-war" list seems a totally random hotch-potch, w/an absolutely unexpected #1 & 2:

1. G Love and Special Sauce - Nice + Easy
2. Lemon Jelly - His Majesty King Raam
3. Madvillain - Accordion
4. Guy Davis - You Don't Know My Mind
5. Groove Corporation - Drunken Master
6. Quasimoto - Goodmorning Sunshine
7. Sheena & the Rokkets - Omae Ga Oshi
8. Missy Elliott - Wake Up (feat Jay-Z)
9. Binary Star - Reality Check
10. Augustus Pablo - Skanking Easy

Interesting. Apparently the stuff you play most isn't necessarily the same stuff that left the deepest imprint (tho again, there's nothing actually *wrong* with these tracks or anything, they're all fine)
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 05:49 pm
good call on the lemon jelly, the stauton lick would have to be my fave song of all
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 07:58 pm
Yeah I love the Staunton Lick! Its so - easy-going - its guaranteed to mellow me down whenever I hear it! Thats the track that got me d/l'ing other Lemon Jelly stuff, and thats how I ended up playing King Raam a lot this year (apparently).
0 Replies

rmrrose820

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 03:17 am
1. Dream To Make-Believe - Armor for Sleep (Rice)
2. Failure - Unloco (why are ppl really my friends?)
3. Call and Answer - Barenaked Ladies (how I am with a few of my "friends")
4. Counting the Days - Collective Soul (one more semester)
5. Run Run Away - Great Big Sea (I've learned so much abt myself this year)
6. I Walk Alone - Oleander (in the end you have to walk alone I guess)
7. Start Over - Abandoned Pools (sometimes I wish . . . )
8. Here Is Gone - Goo Goo Dolls (Rice)
9. Golden Touch - Razorlight (me)
10. Creep - Radiohead (the never ending cycle)
11. Rapid Hope Loss - Dashboard Confessionals (my first time to jump in without looking)
11. Mistakes We Knew We Were Making - Straylight Run (the last year summed up)
12. I Won't Worry (The Remedy) - Jason Mraz (what I learned from this last year)

I think this is an adequate list for a 17 year old. Very self-involved, very dramatic. I think it fits perfectly. I can't figure out if it has been a good year or not. There have been ups but I can't remember them . . . only lots of downs. I guess that is how life goes though. Anyway, I expect this year will bring some of the greatest changes of my life . . . and I'm really excited about that.
0 Replies