Did the 70s "Jesus freaks" become the "Moral majority"?

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 05:46 pm
This question started off to be "Why did "Jesus Christ Superstar" never become a Christmas Classic movie.

Then I started thinking back to the 70s when young kids started moving towards Christian teaching in droves. In my town, and probably yours, they were called "Jesus freaks".

The Jesus freaks were hippies with a Jesus bias. They followed the kind and gentle shepard-type Jesus who loved everyone.

The Jesus freaks are just the right age to be the moral majority type guys now - the ones who follow the Jesus who dislikes a lot of people.

So what happened?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,261 • Replies: 13
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 06:00 pm
Er - you might have to find a link between them and the uptight ones before we debate this!

But - well, hell hath no fury like a reformed smoker, or hippy....
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 06:06 pm
Hi dlowan.

The links would be their age - if they were in their 20s in the 70s they would be in their 50s now.

And of course their belief in the teachings of Jesus.

Perhaps they are instead responsible for the more liberal Christian churches.....
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 06:17 pm
I would guess no...todays "moral majority", while espousing Christian beliefs are merciless and judgemental by and large....more interested in being evangelical and puritanical than following the example of Jesus...Old Testemant types.....IMO....
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 07:22 pm
I agree with you completely, Bi-Polar Bear. There is certainly a big difference in the way the teachings of Jesus are interpreted and carried out by today's Christians.

I need to find this essay I read a while back blasting the "pansy Jesus" by providing Biblical support for the "meaner Jesus"....
0 Replies

furiousflee

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 07:25 pm
Well, the practice of being like Jesus should be preformed in all aspects and essence of the word Jesus. People who judge are completely contradicting what they say they practice...since Jesus preached loving your neighbor and so on. So people who claim to be a "Jesus walker" and condems are just like the pharisees in the time of Jesus himself, "brood of vipers" and "hipocrites"...
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 08:08 pm
Not in a sacreligous or arrogant way...and not like Jesus cares about my opinion...but I feel sorry for Him...the way He's been used to pervert the whole damn process throughout history....it sucks.....
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 08:39 pm
It is exactly that hipocracy that I'm thinking of.

These pious people with thier WWJD braclets screaming about the fact that Toys R Us is sold out of "Halo 2" or whatever they were planning to buy for Jesus' birthday.

WWJD?

He'd say "put down the freaking x-box and buy $200 worth of food for the food bank or give the cashier a nice foot massage or something" other than this stupidity in my name."

Of course that's just my opinion and Christmas always does this to me.
0 Replies

Magus

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 09:16 pm
What happened?

Self-absorbtion, sanctimony and hubris?

(Re: "What Would Jesus Do?"

He'd not travel halfway around the world to assault goatherders in mud huts... no, He'd "turn the other cheek".)
0 Replies

sunlover

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 05:48 pm
The Jesus freaks I knew in the 70s became extreme fundamentalists in new small churches. Now, they are fundamentalists in enormous churches. Right now they are all taking a particular class using the book, A Purpose Driven Life. As far as I can see what you refer to as the "moral majority," all go to a particular denomination church, which I will not name for fear of being banished.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 12:50 am
The censorship of this site isn't that harsh, or many of our right wingers would have been banished over statements about Islam.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 08:07 am
Oh sun lover, welcome to A2K... dont be scared.
Catholic, baptist, protestant, jewish, muslim, satanists, mormon..

blah blah blah..

they can all kiss my arse.

( how is that?? Does that convince you that you dont have to be scared here? )Laughing

no disrespect intended. .. to any religious groups.
Just making a point. ;-)

On topic,

I would agree with you on the question boom.
I do think that the moral majority is made up of the 70s teens/twentys.
BUT.. that is because they are now old enough to make thier voice heard in BIGGER ways then sitting on the corner screaming at passers-by.
They are now old enough , educated enough to hold political positions in our society, work in the stations, newspapers, magazine offices.. as editors and what not.
My generation ( x-ers) are next. Those of us between 25-35 , give or take a few years in the age range, are going to take over the positions that the 70's kids now have. When that happens, we will be the moral majority and again, society will take another turn.

The hollow christianity I have heard referred to in this thread really gets me hot under the collar also.
I am not christian , but I am very religious. I believe with every fiber of my being, you need to pratice what you preach. If you are a christian BE ONE. If you are catholic BE ONE. If you are muslim BE ONE. Religion is a private choice that is personal and not a badge of honor. Your religion should work to make you a better person, not be what makes you a person. ( make sence?)
Too many people use religion to excuse thier behaviors, give them stones to throw , and something to pray to when they need help. And that is it. They dont honor thier creator ( who ever they may choose) They dont honor other people, they dont respect themselves and they dont give back to the society they constantly take from.
If everyone lived as thier religions said to... to the T... I think humans would be a much nicer race to live among. ( :LOL: )

> ug... my soap box is a little slippery this morning with out my coffee.. if I sound like I am babbling... it is because i am.. I am going to go sulk, pout, drink coffee and talk to myself and the little people in my head <
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 09:31 am
I think Magnus and sunlover are on a similar track here and I would like to hear more about how you think the gentle Jesus freaks bacame these sanctimounious "moral leaders".

The Jesus freak movement of the 70s was not really the screaming from the street corner type of evangalism, shewolf, but an offshoot of the hippies. You are most certainly correct in saying that they are the age of the people now in power, who have ways of making their voices heard in bigger ways.

My thoughts on religion are very similar to yours. Many people express their belief only in words and never in action. And this really gets to the guts of my question:

How/why did the generation that preached the Jesus of love become the same generation that preachs an angry Jesus?

Or, whatever happened to the Jesus freaks? Are they the liberals of today or the conservatives of today?

If they are the liberals of today, how did they lose the battle of being on the right side of Jesus?

From a cultural standpoint it would be very interesting to see the history of Jesus freakers and what became of them.
0 Replies

sunlover

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 11:36 am
Boomerang, I don't see how any liberal or hippie could become the fundamentalists of today. On the contrary, I think they never traveled through the liberal movement of the 60's and 70's. They could be compared to the brother who stayed home as a good little boy, rather than the prodical son who wished to know the world at all levels, then returned home.
0 Replies