Antonin Scalia, Separation of church and state.

Einherjar

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2004 03:09 am
binnyboy wrote:
Beats me... I don't know that much about him Embarrassed
Anybody else know... for instance... who appointed him? (or care to look it up)

But these judges are appointed by the executives... for life. And that's just bad business. We should let the professors of the country vote for the judges! That would be a step in the right direction, I think

And norway might be cool Smile What kinds of jobs do people have there? I kind of like japan... lots of high tech jobs and they are geared toward the future.

Our main industries are offshore oil and gass, fish and fishfarming, and energy-intensive chemical industries remaining from the days when Norway had an exess of cheap hydropower. (Fools in government are looking into the prospects of building expensive gassplants instead of cheap dams.) We also have some wood industries, like furniture and such. Industry doesn't account for much of the labour though. Industries in Norway tend to be highly automated, as we have the highest cost of labour in Europe bar some city states.

We're also "exporting knowhow", oil companies headquartered in norway are active all around the world, and norwegian offshore technology is cutting edge. We're currently pioneering the use of subsea automated oilwells intended to make offshore platforms obsolete. Research and development takes place in Norway. Other industries has research and development in Norway as well, like a lot of chemical industries. We don't have a whole lot of robotics, which was probably what attracted you to Japan.

Other kinds of industrial research goes on as well. And then you have the various service industries that can be found in all countries. Oh, and we've some mines and some metal processing.

What exactly would you be interested in?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2004 05:22 am
We are getting what we deserve. We are getting what we are, in fact, demanding.

It is a pity that the American conservative mindset has taken hold the way it has. It will be generations before this mess is corrected...and we can only hope that this rabble doesn't lead us toward complete self-destruction before the reaction momentum shifts us back toward sanity.
0 Replies

binnyboy

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2004 12:08 pm
I want to believe frank is right. I dare to imagine what will happen if their majority continues to increase from now on.

Ein, I think of those, I would be interested in energy. I have a big idea about energy... I give it a little thought and research now and then, trying to develop it. Id rather not say it here where google could hit it Smile
But yeah I was into robotics for a while. for 3 years of college I wanted to go into nanotechnology, and particularly the miniaturization of robotics. And I may still go back to this. I guess I just needed a break from school. My motivation was waning.
0 Replies

ForeverYoung

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2004 12:19 pm
binnyboy wrote:
Beats me... I don't know that much about him Embarrassed
Anybody else know... for instance... who appointed him? (or care to look it up)

Oh, yuck, you are going to just love this:

Antonin Scalia

Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

binnyboy

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2004 12:39 pm
that hit the spot, ForeverYoung Smile
0 Replies

ForeverYoung

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2004 12:41 pm
Yeah, well, the only surprise to me was discovering it's Reagan to blame when, all the while, I had been blaming George the Elder.

:wink:
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 10:04 am
Frank Apisa wrote:
We are getting what we deserve. We are getting what we are, in fact, demanding.

It is a pity that the American conservative mindset has taken hold the way it has. It will be generations before this mess is corrected...and we can only hope that this rabble doesn't lead us toward complete self-destruction before the reaction momentum shifts us back toward sanity.

You have got that right.

I tell you what amazes me - is how seamlessly 'W' merges his religion and his government style.

Believe in a forgiving Chirstian God - and kill your enimies.
Believe in a God who says that the rich will have an impossible time getting into heaven - and get rich as fast as you can - and support those who pray to the money God.
Believe in a accepting God and loving God - and then talk about millions of people who are evil because of where they were born.

You guys are right - we deserve this right now. We fear our enimies and uncertain times and we have turned - wholesale - to religion to save us from ourselves.

I am reminded of Ben Franklin when he said (paraphrasing) 'those who prefer security over freedom, deserve neither.'

TF
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 10:34 am
Here is the quote:

"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one"
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 12:04 pm
Most of the justices write very clear well thought out rulings, but I've seen at least one ruling by Scalia in which he completely misses the point on some science issues.

I don't mind if someone doesn't have a background in science, but if you're a supreme court justice, then I think you should be smart enough not to rule on something until you have your facts straight. Opinions are one thing, but facts are facts.

I'm not impressed with Scalia.
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 09:12 am
Have any examples Ros?

TF
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 09:24 am
thethinkfactory wrote:
Have any examples Ros?

TF

I'll try to dig it up. It was a ruling several years ago on teaching creationism in science class. Scalia basically took the position of "teaching Creationism because it was another viable theory", while completely ignoring the fact that it's not a "scientific theory". It was clear from his ruling that he either didn't understand the basic tenets of science, or that he had an agenda of his own, either of which are pitiful from a Supreme.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 09:35 am
His agenda has been clearly articulated. And that to do away with the line between church and state.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 09:44 am
au1929 wrote:
His agenda has been clearly articulated. And that to do away with the line between church and state.

He couldn't come right out and say that.

It's the job of the Supremes to interpret the constitution, not undermine it.

He would have to interpret the first amendment in such a way that separation of church and state was diminished to some level.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 10:43 am
Either Scalia...or Thomas...will be the next Chief Justice of the United States.

No matter which...America will be the worse for it.

But...as is so often mentioned...to the victors go the spoils.
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 09:40 am
au1929 wrote:

Judges are not supposed to have 'agenda's' and that is the problem with the supreme court justices. They are supposed to interpret the constitution in as unbiased was as possible.

TF
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 10:42 am
I may be reading it wrong. However, in my opinion the nation is in the throws of an ideological war. On one side we have those who would have the separation of church and state enforced and on the other those who would blur that line and make religion a partner in government. Scalia no doubt would make religion a partner. Damn the constitution. Does he belong on the supreme court?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 12:56 pm
au1929 wrote:
I may be reading it wrong. However, in my opinion the nation is in the throws of an ideological war. On one side we have those who would have the separation of church and state enforced and on the other those who would blur that line and make religion a partner in government. Scalia no doubt would make religion a partner. Damn the constitution. Does he belong on the supreme court?

In my opinion, Scalia is not a wise and impartial justice when it comes to the First Amendment. Since I believe he is partial, I do not believe he belongs on the Supreme Court. But as far as I know, there's nothing anyone can do about it unless he does something which is completely illegal. And I can't imagine what that would be.

I think Supremes can be removed from the bench, but I'm not familiar with the process for doing so, or what type of event would precipitate such a thing.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 01:13 pm
I would imagine they could be removed from office if they blew up the Supreme court building. Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 01:24 pm
au1929 wrote:
I would imagine they could be removed from office if they blew up the Supreme court building. Laughing Laughing

Then we would have to replace them all at once, what a free'fur'all that would be. Wink
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2005 08:56 am
God Denies Scalia's Authority Derives From Him

(Scalia) called the Ten Commandments "a symbol of the fact that government derives its authority from God," adding, "That seems to me an appropriate symbol to put on government grounds."

Today God, our Heavenly Father, Lord of Hosts, in responding to a comment made by Justice Antonin Scalia, noted He had given neither the United States government nor Justice Scalia authority "to do anything."

"I think Justice Scalia is mistaken."

"I believe the American government was created by a bunch of emigrants from England," said the Lord, when asked for comment in the course of a routine prayer by this reporter. God also noted that he had nothing to do with the U.S. Constitution, "particularly the Electoral College," although He thought the Bill of Rights was "not so bad."

In addition, God complained about the "common misconception among the unwise" that governmental authority derives from Him. "My Justice is perfect," said God. "But if you look, I think you'll see that the justice of man is necessarily less than that." According to a lesser prophet, God then instructed an archangel to send a memo to Justice Scalia on original sin.

Finally God concluded by saying that mortals needed to lay off displaying the Ten Commandments in courthouses. "You don't see Me putting up copies of the Penal Code in My churches," He said.

===========================

Amen, Lord!

(And when God says "penal", it's best not to snicker...)
0 Replies