I need a title

Noddy24

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 10:30 am
State ID: Jennifer Kalka

This might work--four words implying a dichotomy between Institution and Individual.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 10:36 am
"Look Away" is GENIUS!!!!

I'm serious.

Talk about dichotomy -- it's a book all about you, look at me no look away. Go away/ come back.

Plus from what you say a great indication of the contents -- unsavory details (which people want all the more for being told not to look.)

I'm imagining an image of a girl with hair over her face, looking down, kinda goth or whatever you were at the time, a little blurry, B&W for the cover.

Oprah, here you come!

Seriously I think it would be great.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 10:39 am
Aw hell.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/067152819X/qid=1102091842/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3/103-4185164-3074230?v=glance&s=books

I don't get how copyright works on book titles, though, seems like if they're dissimilar enough you can sometimes use the title again.

Can also have colon and then the "full" title. Like, "Look Away: Memoir of a chaotic girlhood" :-? Or whatever.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 10:41 am
I could just cry.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0684865858?v=glance

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0684865858/ref=sib_dp_pt/102-9135819-6067334#reader-link

It is taken. Mad Exclamation
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 12:13 pm
Shewolf, congratulations!

I like the idea of using "Shewolf." Does it fit the the story?

BTW I would like to purchase a copy as soon as it becomes available. Keep us posted.
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 12:32 pm
Shewolf, don't worry, book titles are not copyrightable.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 01:47 pm
Shewolf, I like Shewolf as a title.

I also thought perhaps, To the Edge and Back or soemthing similar to that. Question Don't know. Never been real good with titles.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 01:54 pm
Shewolf
Shewolf, the titles that popped into my head are:

"Life Sucked Before Moving On."

or

"Life sucked, Then I Moved on."

or, my favorite

"Looking Back, Then Moving On."

BBB
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 01:58 pm
"Look Away" is the most evocative choice so far.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 02:04 pm
Shewolf
Shewolf, I forgot to add my favorite title for a book I never wrote: "The Blue Museum."

A museum contains the history of a life, a people, a nation, a planet.

Blue is the shortest color in the space energy spectrum, which would be compatible with a museum's record of our short time on this planet.

BBB
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 03:13 pm
Cinnesthesia wrote:
Shewolf, don't worry, book titles are not copyrightable.

REALLY??????

If that is true.. then.. I am one happy wolf. Very Happy

I do like shewolf as a name too Kristie.. but.. it doesnt fit.
It would fit the person I have BECOME.. but that isnt what the story is about..know what I mean? This is the 'before' not after..

I agree that Look away so far really fits the book content. Almost precisely. Because, in this book I address America's ability to ignore the homeless dirty teenage girl as just another homeless person and that , as a society we have developed such a thick skin to homeless people that even a child homeless on the corner with a sign provokes NO emotion anymore.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 03:14 pm
ahhh.....

perhaps Forgotten One ?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 03:16 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
State ID: Jennifer Kalka

This might work--four words implying a dichotomy between Institution and Individual.

This is another hard hitting title for m e. I am loving the thought of it. Onething that is hanging me up about it..
It is provoking to me.. and me alone. Not to the passerby in the book store. AFTER they read the book then it will bring about meaning.
But hubby and I want to keep this on the list too.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 03:18 pm
Hmm..."Life Ignored, Revisited"
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 03:20 pm
Oh, Look Away is sounding more and more perfect.

If you check out Amazon, it seems to support what Cinn says -- what I have a vague memory of is that the titles are copyrightable but there are lots of strictures. Like, if there is a Cajun cookbook called "Hot hot hot!", you can still name a romance novel "Hot hot hot!", since they won't be mistaken for each other. But if there is already a romance novel called "Hot hot hot!", you can't name another one that, too.

Definitely worth looking into.

There's also the colon thing. (Official title is "Look Away: [Then some other stuff]", but the "Look Away" part would be in big letters at the top and the after-the-colon stuff in small letters at the bottom, and it would always be referred to as "Look Away", etc.

With what you've said now, maybe a really searing portrait of a messed-up looking teenager looking straight at the camera as the cover image, instead -- like a staring contest sort of thing, daring the viewer to look away.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 03:22 pm
sozobe wrote:

With what you've said now, maybe a really searing portrait of a messed-up looking teenager looking straight at the camera as the cover image, instead -- like a staring contest sort of thing, daring the viewer to look away.

Ouch.... yer good! That is a wonderful picture for that title.
that made me feel strange just picturing a book like that.
That would be wonderful on a book shelf.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 03:50 pm
Any casual reader can recognize "State ID" as a socio-legal bit of jargon.

Warning: Authors are not in charge of their own book covers. Publishing houses have experts in book covers--and they should. At least half purchases of an unknown book are influenced by the cover.

Also, agents and editors may have title ideas. You may love your title--and they may not. You'd be wise to go along with the experts here. Titles are their business.
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 03:52 pm
Some information about title legalities:
http://www.publaw.com/titles.html

Your manuscript is ready to submit? Do you have an editor?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 04:04 pm
Cinnesthesia wrote:
Some information about title legalities:
http://www.publaw.com/titles.html

Your manuscript is ready to submit? Do you have an editor?

Delacorte Press.
They have some impressive people on thier resume. Danielle steele being one of them.

And you are right Noddy I have been told that cover/title are 80% out of my hands. BUT if a title is a match and people agree it may stay and I may keep my choice after all. A shot in the dark I know but a chance I would like to take.
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 04:16 pm
Sounds good.
0 Replies