Tsunami Spam

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 03:47 pm
Why do I think this is the funniest bit of spam I've ever seen?

(I removed the link in case the inexperienced were tempted to click on it.

Quote:

THIS IS AN OFFICIAL WARNING!

A huge 300 ft. high ocean wave is moving towards your continent.
Your and many other cities are in a real danger.
Approximate wave moving speed is 700 km/h.

Please read more about this catastrophe here:http://xxxxxxxxxxx/
We are strongly urging you to evacuate yourself and your family as soon as possible, even though you may live far away from your city.
The tsunami will reach the continent in approximately FOUR hours.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

Anyone have any ideas on what the point of it was?

DrewDad

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 03:56 pm
Looting.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 04:39 pm

that's hilarious... but you should still report it to the sender's ISP.
there are gullible folks out there who may take a note like that seriously...
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 08:27 am
Remember Orson Welles and "War of the Worlds"...
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 08:34 am
bigdice67 wrote:
Remember Orson Welles and "War of the Worlds"...

As they say in the song,

"Remember, if you remember,
Dearie, you're much older than I"! Laughing
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 08:35 am
Whaddaya sittin' around for? You've got 15 minutes left to leave that continent, hingehead!
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 08:37 am
This continent too?

BTW, nice talking to ya, roger!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 09:34 am
Sure was, and glad I was home when you called.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 03:48 pm
Glub Glub.
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 03:53 pm
Well, no giant wave hit us up to now. Would be pretty strange - right in the middle of Europe. But you never know...

Hi Roger! Stefan woke me up in the middle of the night to tell me that he talked to you! I was there in my thoughts! :-)
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 11:54 pm
Hey, and I dismissed it out of hand and 22 days later the tsunami hit - well, not my continent but close enough.

Love a good coincidence.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 12:53 am
Kids write such things.

(Tsunamis are real danger along some coast lines. Reliable alarm systems are needed..)
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2007 04:41 pm
Well what do you know - we've just had a Tsunami warning for Cairns - apparently it will be here in about an hour and ten minutes. Gotta love the tropics...

Cairns Base Hospital is being evacuated - it's right on the Esplanade.

Hope you've all been well - especially Olgs.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2007 05:05 pm
Um, are you serious? Still there I hope.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2007 06:20 pm
Quote:
(CNN) -- Two large back-to-back earthquakes centered in the region of the Solomon Islands triggered a tsunami warning Sunday for a huge part of the Pacific including Australia and Indonesia.

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center's Fixed Regional Tsunami Warning also included Papua New Guinea and several other islands in the region.

A watch was issued for some other parts of the Pacific, including New Zealand, the Philippines, American Samoa, Guam, and Fiji.

The U.S. National Weather Service said its West Coast and Alaska Tsunami Warning Center issued an advisory for residents along the California, Oregon, Washington, British Columbia, and Alaska coast, but it said a damaging tsunami is not expected in that area. That advisory is sent out whenever the PTWC issues a tsunami warning for other regions in the Pacific Basin.

The U.S. Geological Survey said the first quake, magnitude 7.6, took place at 8:40 Coordinated Universal Time (4:40 ET) and was centered 25 miles (45 km) south-southeast of Gizo, New Georgia Islands, and 1330 miles (2145 km) north-northeast of Brisbane, Australia.

The second, nearby just minutes later, had a magnitude 6.7.

Officials in New Zealand and Australia said they had no immediate reports of injuries or damage.
CNN
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2007 06:59 pm
Anticlimatic. Apparently in Honiara the tsunami swell was measured at 15cm. Terrifying, not.

I lot of over reaction here. Traffic up to Kuranda (higher ground) was huge. Lots of people took their kids out of school and their pets up the mountain. Me, I just kept working. Some people just like a little drama on a Monday morning.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2007 01:02 am
Reuters:

Quote:
South Pacific quake and tsunami kills 12

Mon Apr 2, 2007 7:46AM BST

By Walter Nalangu

HONIARA (Reuters) - At least 12 people were killed and many more missing after a powerful earthquake and tsunami struck the tiny Solomon Islands, sweeping away entire villages and triggering a Pacific-wide tsunami alert.

The shallow quake, with a magnitude of at least 8.0, levelled buildings and damaged a hospital on Gizo island northwest of the Solomons capital, Honiara, while a tsunami sucked homes into the sea as thousands of panicked residents fled for higher ground.

At least seven people died in Gizo, many trapped in their homes when waves swept through the town. Other bodies could be seen but not reached because of big waves, the government said in a statement.

"The wave was up to 10-metres (32 feet) high in some villages," Solomon Islands' chief government spokesman Alfred Maesulia told Reuters. "Some villages have been entirely washed away."

The quake struck 350 km (220 miles) north-west of Honiara during the morning (2040 GMT on Sunday) and sparked a tsunami alert around the Pacific.

Beaches along Australia's east coast were shut and ferry services halted in Sydney Harbour amid fears of a repeat of the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami disaster.

The alert was lifted about nine hours later, with damage confined to the immediate area around the quake.
Solomons Prime Minister Manasseh Sogavare said the disaster could have been worse if it had happened only a few hours earlier, in darkness, when more people would have been asleep.

"We are lucky that it happened during the daytime, that the people observed the sea receded as a sign that something was not right," Sogavare told CNN television.

Witnesses described the arriving wave, which Australia's government said also hit the western Papua New Guinea island of Bougainville, as an "extreme tide".

... ... ...

Reports on the number of deaths vary: Le Figaro reports of 15.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2015 09:43 pm
A colleague just got this awesome spam!

Quote:
Hello Honest one
i am Benard Scott by name,i live in Baltimore Maryland and am a Chief Engineer for Crowley Maritime Service, i saw your email address on Google, i have twin kids for adoption one is Paul and the other is Cassandra,am travelling soon for work and i need a honest person that can adopt my kids and the sum of $450,000USD will be given to the adopting parent as soon as the adoption process is completed.
Please contact me if you are interested.
Email: [email protected]
Hope to read from you soon.
Benard
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2015 03:10 am
When i see things like that, and the English sucks so badly, i must confess that i feel that any ostensible native speaker of English who falls for it will get what he or she deserves.
hingehead

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2015 05:30 am
@Setanta,
Even if the English was perfect who would be tempted to adopt a child for $450K with no questions asked - it just makes no sense to me.
0 Replies