WA2K Radio is now on the air

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 06:11 am
Khalil Gibran
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Gibran Khalil Gibran (Arabic: جبران خليل جبران ) (January 6, 1883 - April 10, 1931) was a Lebanese poet and artist. His poetry is notable for its use of formal language and insights on topics of life using spiritual terms. He emigrated to Boston, USA in 1895 with his mother, sisters and half-brother. He studied art in Boston, and French and Arabic in Lebanon. The spelling "Kahlil Gibran" is the result of an error when he first entered school in Boston.

Youth in Lebanon

Khalil Gibran grew up in the region of Bsharri in Lebanon. During his youth he did not receive any formal schooling since his family was poor, but he was visited regularly by priests who taught him about the Bible, the Syriac and Arabic languages. During his youth, his family's property was confiscated by the Ottoman authorities after Khalil Gibran's father was sent to prison for tax evasion. With no home, the Gibran family decided to follow Gibran's uncle and emigrate to the United States; they left for New York on June 25, 1895. Khalil Gibran's father was released in 1894 but decided to stay in Lebanon.

Youth in America

At the time the second largest Lebanese community was in Boston's South End, and thus the Gibran family decided to settle in that area. Gibran's mother started working as a peddler to bring in money for the family, and Khalil Gibran started school on September 30, 1895. It was during his school registration that a mistake caused his name to be shortened to Khalil Gibran, which, despite repeated attempts at correcting the mistake, stayed for him for the rest of his life. Because Khalil Gibran had no formal schooling in Lebanon he was placed in a special class for immigrants who had to learn English.

Cultural growth and works

In his early teens, Gibran's artistic drawings caught the attention of his teachers, who introduced Khalil Gibran to Boston photographer and publisher Fred Holland Day, who encouraged and supported Gibran in his artistic and cultural endevours. His first art exhibition was in 1904 in Boston, and then he went to study art with Auguste Rodin in Paris from 1908 to 1910.

While most of Gibran's early literature works were in the Arabic language, starting in 1918 most of his published work was in English. His best-known work is The Prophet, which is a book that is composed of 26 poetic essays. Juliet Thompson, one of Khalil Gibran's acquaintances, is quoted in saying that Gibran told her that he thought of `Abdu'l-Bahá, the divine leader of the Bahá'í Faith after the death of its founder, all the way through writing The Prophet.

Death and legacy

Gibran died in New York City on April 10, 1931: the cause was determined to be cirrhosis of the liver, and tuberculosis. He was buried in the chapel of Mar Sarkis in Lebanon. He is probably the most famous Lebanese-American writer ever, and The Prophet remains widely popular, with certain passages being read at some weddings and christenings. Gibran's works were especially influential in the American popular culture in the 1960s. Many Americans have a misconception that Gibran is Muslim because of his Arabic name, which is actually a Christian-Arabic name. Much of Gibran's writings deal with Christianity mostly condemning the corrupt practices of the Eastern churches and their clergies during that era.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khalil_Gibran
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 06:15 am
Loretta Young

Loretta Young (January 6, 1913 - August 12, 2000) was an American actress.

Born Gretchen Michaela Young in Salt Lake City, Utah, she moved with her family to Hollywood when she was three years old. She and sisters, Polly Ann Young and Elizabeth Jane Young (screen name Sally Blane), worked as child actresses. Young's first role was at the of age 3 in the silent film Sweet Kitty Bellair,[1] followed a year later by "The Primrose Ring." The movie's star, Mae Murray, so fell in love with little Gretchen that she wanted to adopt her. Although her mother declined, Gretchen was allowed to live with Murray for two years. Her half-sister Georgianna (daughter of her mother and stepfather George Belzer) eventually married Mexican actor Ricardo Montalban.

She was billed as "Gretchen Young" in the 1917 film, "Sirens of the Sea";it wasn't until 1928] that she was first billed as "Loretta Young", in The Whip Woman. The next year, she was anointed one of the WAMPAS Baby Stars.

In 1930, Young, then only 17, ran off with 26-year-old actor Grant Withers and married him in Yuma, Arizona. The marriage was annulled the next year, just as their second movie together, (ironically titled Too Young to Marry), was released.

In 1934, Young had an affair with Clark Gable while on location for "Call of the Wild", and became pregnant. Returning from a long "vacation" (during which she secretly gave birth to a daughter), Young announced that she had "adopted" the little girl. The child was raised as "Judy Lewis" (after taking the name of Young's second husband's, producer Tom Lewis), and only learned that Gable was her father while in her early twenties.

Young made as many as seven or eight movies a year and won an Oscar in 1947 for her performance in The Farmer's Daughter. The same year she co-starred with Cary Grant in The Bishop's Wife, a perennial favorite that still airs on television during the Christmas season.

In 1949, Young received another Academy Award nomination, (for "Come to the Stable"), and in 1953 appeared in her last film, It Happens Every Thursday. Moving to television, she hosted and starred in the well-received anthology series The Loretta Young Show. Her "sweeping" trademark appearance at the beginning of each show was to appear dramatically in various high fashion evening gowns. (Young's TV shows are not rerun on television because she had it legally stipulated that they not be; the ever image-conscious Young didn't want to be seen in "outdated" wardrobe and hairstyles). These arrangements, however, were made before the invention of videos and DVDs, and so luckily, her television work can still be viewed.

Young was the godmother of actress Marlo Thomas who, like Young, was a devout Catholic. From the time of her retirement in the 1960s, until not long before her her death, Young devoted herself to volunteer work for charities and churches. She died at 87 in 2000 of ovarian cancer, in Santa Monica, California home of her half-sister, Georgiana Montalban, and was interred in the family plot in the Holy Cross Cemetery in Culver City, California.

Young has two stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame -- one for motion pictures, at 6104 Hollywood Blvd., and another for television, at 6141 Hollywood Blvd.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loretta_Young
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 06:17 am
Danny Thomas

Danny Thomas (January 6, 1914 - February 6, 1991) was an American nightclub comedian and television and film actor of Lebanese Maronite descent. Danny Thomas was born Muzyad Yaakoob in Deerfield, Michigan. He first performed under his Anglicized birth name, Amos Jacobs, before settling on Danny Thomas.

On the big screen he starred in the 1953 remake of The Jazz Singer and played songwriter Gus Kahn opposite Doris Day in the 1951 film biography I'll See You in My Dreams. But his most famous role was on his television show, Make Room for Daddy (later retitled The Danny Thomas Show to capitalize on Thomas' popularity). Thomas later became a successful television producer, working on many popular shows including The Dick Van Dyke Show and The Mod Squad.

Known as a generous philanthropist, Thomas founded the St. Jude Children's Research Hospital in Memphis, Tennessee in 1962.

He was, along with Joe Robbie, one of the original owners of the Miami Dolphins, although he sold his share of the team shortly thereafter.

His children are also performers, the most famous being his daughter Marlo, who is married to Phil Donahue. His son Tony Thomas is a noted television producer.

He is sometimes credited for popularizing the use of the spit-take in comedy.

He and his wife were arguably America's most famous Maronite[1] couple. The Daily Catholic placed him 86 on the list of top 100 Catholics[2], just above Blessed Cyprian Michael Iwene Tansi.

He died in 1991 and his funeral was at the Church of the Good Shepard. Danny Thomas is interred in a crypt in a mausoleum on the grounds of the St. Jude's Children's Research Hospital in Memphis, Tennessee.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Thomas
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 07:08 am
Good morning, WA2K radio listeners and contributors.

First, let me say to Reyn that I adore his new avatar and then remark on his "wind" song. You are a delightful brat, Reyn, and you gave us a smile with your reference to the wind breakers--a fashion statement? <smile>

edgar, we join with you in your tribute to your friend, and really enjoy the rest of the music that you always play. Thanks, Texas.

There's our Bob, folks, with his array of bio's. I, and others, always enjoy reading through the interesting facts. What a terrible irony for Tom Mix.

Of interest to me, and other I am sure, are the facts about Carl Sandburg.

He is one of my favorite poets, and why not read one of his poems as we begin the day.

All Day Long

All day long in fog and wind,
The waves have flung their beating crests
Against the palisades of adamant.
My boy, he went to sea, long and long ago,
Curls of brown were slipping underneath his cap,
He looked at me from blue and steely eyes;
Natty, straight and true, he stepped away,
My boy, he went to sea.
All day long in fog and wind,
The waves have flung their beating crests
Against the palisades of adamant.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 09:28 am
Good Morning WA2K and listeners.

Remembering Tom Mix and Tony:

http://www.imh.org/imh/jpg/tom_mix.jpg

I grew up a-dreamin' of bein' a cowboy,
and Lovin' the cowboy ways.
Pursuin' the life of my high-ridin' heroes,
I burned up my childhood days.
I learned of all the rules of the modern-day drifter,
Don't you hold on to nothin' too long.
Just take what you need from the ladies, then leave them,
With the words of a sad country song.
My heroes have always been cowboys.
And they still are, it seems.
Sadly, in search of, but one step in back of,
Themselves and their slow-movin' dreams.

Cowboys are special with their own brand of misery,
From being alone too long.
You could die from the cold in the arms of a nightmare,
Knowin' well that your best days are gone.
Pickin' up hookers instead of my pen,
I let the words of my years fade away.
Old worn-out saddles, and 'old worn-out memories,
With no one and no place to stay.

My heroes have always been cowboys.
And they still are, it seems.

By Willie Nelson -- Willie peformed the song for honoree Robert Redford at the Kennedy Center Honors a week ago. Redford was delighted. (The song was featured in the movie "The Electric Horseman" which starred Redford, Jane Fonda and Willie Nelson.)
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 09:39 am
There's our Raggedy, folks, with Tom in the mix and a song from Willie.<smile>

Thanks, PA. We always appreciate you and your follow up of Bob and his bios.

We do miss our European friends, and hope they return to sing and play.

How shall we get them to come and stay?

Let's try this:

Artist: Lyrics
Song: COME BACK TO ME Lyrics

Hear my voice where you are
Take a train, steal a car,
Hop a freight, grab a star, come back to me.
Catch a plane, catch a breeze,
On your hands, on your knees,
Swim or fly, only please, come back to me!

On a mule, in a jet.
With your hair in a net.
In a towel wringing wet -
I don't care, this is where you should be!

From the hills, from the shore,
Ride the wind to my door.
Turn the highway to dust,
Break the law if you must,
Move the world, only just come back to me!

Blast your hide, hear me call.
Must I fight City Hall?
Here and now, damn it all, come back to me!
What on Earth must I do?
Scream and yell till I'm blue?
Curse your soul when will you come back to me?

Have you gone to the moon or the corner saloon,
And to rack, and to "roon?"
Mademoiselle, where in Hell can you be?

In a crate, in a trunk,
On a horse, on a drunk,
In a Rolls or a van...
Wrapped in mink or Seran...
Any way that you can come back to me!
Come back to me!
Come back to me!
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 10:13 am
Nice photo of Tom Mix, Letty. But if our listeners are anything like me, they'd rather see a photo of Robert Redford.

http://www.glacombe.com/images/gredford1.jpg

<thud>
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 10:13 am
Good lyrics, Letty.

I love imaginitive lyrics writers

W S Gilbert
Julie Styne
Sanny Cahn
Cole Porter
Irving Berlin
Lieber and Stoller

and many more.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 10:14 am
"where have you been,
well I've been on my way
hey what have you seen,
well I really don't wanna say
but now I'm back,
I'm ready to do this and that,
oo I'm back".
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 10:32 am
Hey, Eva. Good to see you in the company of Robert. Welcome back, honey.

Now let's see, folks. What face makes us go thud? I'll have to think on that.

My goodness, there's our McTag. Good to see you, Brit. Hmmm. We'll have to dig out a Cole Porter song for you, Manchester.

And there's our Francis. Welcome back, Paris. Please do some this and that for our listeners.<smile>

Now we are waiting for Walter
A German who "don't" slip or falter.
He's never capricious,
But sometimes facetious
Too bad that he's been to the altar.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 10:34 am
Sanny Cahn is closely related to Sammy Cahn, of course.

And I need a new pair of specs

Smile
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 10:45 am
I like Sanny, McTag. The name sounds so clean. Razz

Okay, Eva. Here's a face that I'd love to touch:

http://www.autographsuccess.com/christopher_meloni.jpg

Come on, Francis. Play us a song. Something from the Tales of Hoffman, perhaps?
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 11:47 am
Who is that Letty? I have to go along with Eva. That Redford picture is <sigh>.

Oh, and that "Come Back to Me" song, Letty. You didn't say who composed it? Would that be from the B-way musical and movie, "On a Clear Day". Smile
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 12:09 pm
Ah, Raggedy. You're right. That's from "On a Clear Day."

As for the hunk whose picture I showed to the world, it's Chris from Law and Order-- Special Victims Unit on TV.

Here's a bit of sad news:

Grammy-Winning Singer Lou Rawls Dies By JEFF WILSON, Associated Press Writer
22 minutes ago

LOS ANGELES - Lou Rawls, the velvet-voiced singer who started as a church choir boy and went on to record such classic tunes as "You'll Never Find Another Love Like Mine," died Friday of cancer. He was 72.

Great singer.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 12:16 pm
Letty
"Grammy-Winning Singer Lou Rawls Dies By JEFF WILSON, Associated Press Writer 22 minutes ago ."

Letty, has Jeff Wilson been charged with murder?

BBB Laughing
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 12:23 pm
That could be, BBB..

Like in "the man who shot Liberty Valance".

If this man was called John Inches, you could say:

- Liberty dies by Inches...
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 12:26 pm
BBB, you funny thing. Headlines do kill a lot of folks, no?

I guess Olivia and Elliott will be on Jeff's trail, hot and heavy.

Well, my goodness, listeners. The Europeans drop in and out like recalcitrant school children.

Shall we dedicate a song to each one, folks? Or let them do a tune for us.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 12:36 pm
Francis, surely you don't want to hear that song. You are supposed to do one for us from Offenbach. Sooooooooooooo. Where is it.

And, McTag, where be Sanny?

Well, here's for the gone people:

The shadow of your smile
When you have gone
Will color all my dreams
And light the dawn

Look into my eyes, my love, and see
All the lovely things, you are, to me

Our wistful little star
It was far, too high
A teardrop kissed your lips
And so, so did i

Now when I remember spring
And every little lovely thing
I will be remembering
The shadow of your smile
Your lovely smile.

I didn't realize that Astrud Gilberto did that as well.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 12:47 pm
Au cabaret du Labyrinthe,
Cette nuit j'ai soupé, mon vieux,
Avec ces dames de Corinthe,
Tout ce que la Grèce a de mieux.
C'est Parthénis et Leœna
Qui m'ont dit te vouloir connaître.

Pouvais-je m'attendre à cela ?
Mesdames, j'ai bien l'honneur d'être

The translation is up to Miss Letty...
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 12:50 pm
You'll Never Find -- Lou Rawls

You'll never find, as long as you live
Someone who loves you tender like I do
You'll never find, no matter where you search
Someone who cares about you the way I do

Whoa, I'm not braggin' on myself, baby
But I'm the one who loves you
And there's no one else, no-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh one else

You'll never find, it'll take the end of all time
Someone to understand you like I do
You'll never find the rhythm, the rhyme
All the magic we shared, just us two

Whoa, I'm not tryin' to make you stay, baby
But I know some how, some day, some way
You are (you're gonna miss my lovin')
You're gonna miss my lovin' (you're gonna miss my lovin')
You're gonna miss, you're gonna miss my lo-o-ove

Whoa, oh, oh, oh, oh (you're gonna miss my lovin')
Late in the midnight hour, baby (you're gonna miss my lovin')
When it's cold outside (you're gonna miss my lovin')

You'll never find another love like mine
Someone who needs you like I do
You'll never see what you've found in me
You'll keep searching and searching your whole life through
Whoa, I don't wish you no bad luck, baby
But there's no ifs and buts or maybes

You're gonna, You're gonna miss (miss my lovin')
I know you're gonna my lovin' (you're gonna miss my lovin')

Whoa, oh, oh, oh, oh (you're gonna miss my lovin')
Late in the midnight hour, baby (you're gonna miss my lovin')
When it gets real cold outside (you're gonna miss my lovin')
I know, I know that you are gonna miss my lo-o-ove

Let me tell you that you're gonna miss my lovin'
Yes you will, baby (you're gonna miss my lovin')
When I'm long gon
I know, I know, I know that you are gonna miss
0 Replies