WA2K Radio is now on the air

Letty

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 07:54 pm
From the memory of Letty:

It's time for me to say goodnight, all.

Just a simple goodnight with no song......

But always from Letty with Love
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 08:37 pm
It's Over
Johnny Mathis with Deniece Williams

JOHNNY:
Guess it's over call it a day
Sorry that it had to end this way
No reason to pretend
We knew it had to end some day this way

DENIECE:
Yes it's over the kids are gone
What's the use of tryin' to hang on
Somewhere we lost the key
So little left for you and me and it's clear to see

BOTH: Too much too little too late to lie again with you
Too much too little too late to try again with you
We're in the middle of ending something that we knew

JOHNNY: It's over
DENIECE: Oh it was over

BOTH: Too much too little too late to ever try again
Too much too little too late let's end it being friends
Too much, too little too late we knew it had to end

DENIECE; Ah it's over
JOHNNY: It's over

DENIECE:
Yes it's over the chips are down
Nearly all our bridges tumbled down
JOHNNY:
Whatever chance we try let's face it widened-eye
It's over (It's over)
It's over

Too much, too little, too late, we knew it had to end

JOHNNY: And it's over
DENIECE: And it's over
JOHNNY: And it's over

0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 08:50 pm
Company Always on the run
Destiny is the rising sun
Oh I was born 6-gun in my hand
Behind a gun I'll make my final stand
That's why they call me Bad company
And I can't deny
Bad company
Till the day I die
Till the day I die
Till the day I die Rebel souls
Deserters we are called
Chose a gun and threw away the sun
Now these towns
They all know our name 6-gun sound is our claim to fame
I can hear them say Bad company
And I won't deny
Bad Bad company
Till the day I die
Till the day I die
SOLO Bad
Bad company
I can't deny
Bad company
Till the day I die
And I say it's
Bad company Oh Yeah---Yeah
Bad company
Till the day I die Oh Yeah Tell me that you are not a thief
Oh But I am
Bad Company
It's the way I play
Dirty for dirty
Oh Somebody Double-crossed me
Double-cross
Double-cross
Yeah
We're Bad company
Kill in cold blood
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 08:57 pm
Rebel-Johnny Yuma - Johnny Cash

Johnny Yuma was a rebel
He roamed through the west
Did Johnny Yuma, the rebel
He wandered alone

He got fightin' mad
This rebel lad
He packed no star
As he wandered far
Where the only law
Was a hook and a draw
The rebel, Johnny Yuma

He searched the land
This restless lad
He was panther quick
And leather tough
If he figured that
He'd been pushed enough
The rebel, Johnny Yuma

Fightin' mad
This rebel lad
With a dream he'd hold
'Til his dyin' breath
He'd search his soul
And gamble with death
The rebel, Johnny Yuma
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 03:35 am
Jean-Pierre Aumont
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Jean-Pierre Aumont (January 5, 1911 - January 29, 2001) was a French actor.

Born in Paris, France to a wealthy family of Jewish and Dutch ancestry, Aumont began studying drama at the Paris Conservatory, following his mother, at the age of sixteen. His professional stage debut occurred at the age of 21. His film debut came one year later, when Jean de la Lune (Jean of the Moon in English) was produced in 1931. However, his most important, career-defining role came in 1934, when Jean Cocteau's play La Machine Infernal (The Infernal Machine) was released in 1934.

However, right when his film and stage career began rising quickly, World War II broke out. Aumont stayed in France until 1942, when he realized that because of his Jewish ancestry, he would be forced to flee from the Nazi forces. He first fled to an unoccupied portion of Vichy territory, before moving, first to New York City, then Hollywood to further his film career. He began working with MGM; however, he was not content with staying in the safe United States while his fellow countrymen were fighting for their lives in Europe. Therefore, after finishing his film, The Cross of Lorraine (which was highly liked by certain Resistance leaders, including Charles de Gaulle), he joined the Free French.

After the completion of the film, Aumont was sent to North Africa, where he participated in Operation Torch, specifically in the country of Tunisia. Then, he moved with the Allied armies through Italy and France. Through the war, he was wounded twice. The first was on a mission with his brother. However, the second was more serious. Aumont's Jeep was blown up near a landmined bridge, and French Brigadier General Diégo-Charles-Joseph Brosset, commander of the 1st Free French Division, was killed. Because of his bravery during the fighting, Aumont received the Legion d'Honneur and the Croix de Guerre.

While in Hollywood, though, Aumont married Maria Montez, a Dominican actress. She was known as the "Queen of Technicolor", and their marriage was very happy; however, she tragically drowned and died on September 7, 1951, in the family's villa at Suresnes, France. Aumont kept working after his wife's death, though, starring as the magician in the extremely successful film, Lili, with Leslie Caron. In 1956, he married Italian actress Marisa Pavan, star of various films including The Man in the Grey Flannel Suit. The couple starred in one film together, John Paul Jones, where Pavan played the romantic interest of the lead, while Aumont cameoed as King Louis XVI. However, the couple divorced in 1962, but rejoined a short while later. They had two children: Jean-Claude and Patrick, and lived a rather happy life.

Aumont continued working with various famous actors and directors. In the 1960s, he starred in various Broadway productions. He starred in many films throughout the latter half of the 20th century, and one of his more recent works was released in 1989, A Tale of Two Cities. Two years afterward, he was decorated with the cross of Commandeur des Arts et des Lettres, and in 1992, he received an honorary César Award. Aumont was also a distinguished author, although the English translations of his works were sub-par.

When he died in 2001 of natural causes at the age of 90, Jean-Pierre Aumont was one of the most distinguished and famous French actors of the 20th century. He is interred in the Père Lachaise cemetery in Paris.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Pierre_Aumont
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 03:38 am
George Reeves

Born January 5, 1914
Woolstock, Iowa
Died June 16, 1959
Death by gunshot, officially ruled suicide, doubts persist
Beverly Hills, Los Angeles, California

George Bessolo Reeves (born George Keefer Brewer to Don Brewer and Helen Lescher) (January 5, 1914 - June 16, 1959) was an American actor, best known for playing the role of Superman on television in the 1950s.

Early Career

Reeves film career began in 1939. He was featured in minor roles, one being as one of Vivian Leigh's beaus in the initial scene of Gone With the Wind. In 1942 he won acclaim for his part in So Proudly We Hail.

Military Service

Military service then interupted his career. Reeves enlisted in the United States Army Air Corps and appeared in war training films. Reeves found leading parts lacking after the war and at one point was forced to earn a living digging septic systems.

Superman

Reeves, offered the role of Superman in a television series, was reluctant at first to take the role. Like many actors, he considered television to be unimportant and thought that few would see his work. He was astonished when he became a national celebrity. He became so well known that he was often forced to do personal appearances as Superman. This was always embarrassing for the actor because he pointed out that many children would often test his super powers by physically assaulting him. In one instance, a youngster came up to him with a loaded gun and said that he was going to shoot bullets off Superman's chest!

Reeves first appeared as the Superman character in 1951 in a theatrical feature called Superman and the Mole Men. It was effectively a pilot for the TV series, whose regular episodes began filming soon after, during 1951 and 1952. That film was edited down to a two-part episode for the TV series, retitled The Unknown People. The original film was seldom seen after its initial release, but it is on the DVD of the first season which was released in the fall of 2005.

The Superman TV series was broadcast in first-run from the fall of 1952 through the spring of 1958, a total of 104 episodes. In addition, Reeves appeared as Superman in a Goverment short film, entitled either "Stamp Day for Superman" or "Superman's Stamp Day" (title unclear). In this, Superman's job was to catch some crooks and tell kids why they should invest in government bonds. Reeves also appeared as Superman in an episode of "I Love Lucy" in 1956.

After Superman

After the series went off the air, Reeves found himself so typecast as Superman that it was difficult for him find other roles and this was said to have deeply saddened him. One example sometimes cited is that he was upset when his scenes in the classic film From Here To Eternity were all cut after a preview audience kept yelling "Superman!" whenever he appeared. While the last part of that statement is apparently true, that film was released in 1953, when Reeves was still in his early days as the Superman character. Whether the original theatrical release of the film included those scenes, the DVD release does include Reeves' brief appearance as a former lover of the Deborah Kerr character.

Death

In the early morning hours of June 16, 1959, three days before a planned wedding to Lenore Lemmon, Reeves went to bed after a long night with guests. Shortly thereafter, a shot rang out, and he was found dead in his bedroom with a gunshot wound to the head. An official inquiry concluded that the death was suicide. His disbelieving mother conducted an investigation of her own, which was inconclusive.

With suicide the official verdict, much speculation resulted as to whether it was because of his failed career. It was also noted that he had suffered a concussion in an auto accident shortly before that event, leading some to suspect that his mental health had been compromised. These facts are recounted in Gary Grossman's 1976 book, Superman: Serial to Cereal. At that time, suicide was the predominant presumed cause of death, and various reasons were cited to justify or explain it.

In recent years, there have been questions raised again as to whether Reeves' death was really a suicide, or whether it was a murder covered up Hollywood insiders, similar to the claims about suspicious deaths of other Hollywood notables such as Thelma Todd and Paul Bern. The 1996 book, Hollywood Kryptonite, by Sam Kashner and Nancy Schoenberger, discusses the issues, the doubts by friends and relatives, the forensic evidence as to whether suicide was even physically possible, whether the shooting was properly investigated by police, and alternative theories.

The book makes an interesting argument for Reeves having been the target of a "hit" due to having spurned a long-time lover with mob connections. The hypothesis is that the aforementioned car accident was also an attempted hit. There is no question that Reeves' circle of friends included some unsavory characters. There are groups trying to muster support for re-opening the investigation. However, the allegations and unanswered questions are unlikely ever to be resolved, due to the passage of time and the deaths of apparently everyone who might know the truth of the matter, so for the present, suicide remains the official cause of death.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Reeves
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 03:43 am
Robert Duvall

Robert Selden Duvall (born January 5, 1931) is an American film actor and director.

Personal life

Duvall was born in San Diego, California to parents of French and English descent. He grew up in a military family, living for a time in Annapolis, Maryland near the United States Naval Academy. He studied acting at The Neighborhood Playhouse School of Theatre in New York under Sanford Meisner.

He is close friends with Dustin Hoffman and Gene Hackman, both of whom he's known since their struggling actor days.

Duvall has been married three times:

* Barbara Benjamin (1964 - 1975)
* Gail Youngs (1982 - 1986)
* Sharon Brophy (1991 - 1996)

He now lives with his partner Luciana Pedraza.

His screen debut was as Boo Radley in the critically acclaimed To Kill a Mockingbird (1962) but his breakout role was a decade later as Tom Hagen in The Godfather (1972) and The Godfather Part II (1974). He received an Academy Award nomination for Best Supporting Actor in A Civil Action and for his role as Colonel Kilgore in Apocalypse Now (1979). He was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Actor for The Great Santini (1980) and The Apostle (1997) and won for his role in Tender Mercies (1983).

He directed the critically acclaimed The Apostle, about a preacher on the run from the law, and Assassination Tango (2002), a thriller about one of his favorite hobbies, tango. He was awarded the National Medal of Arts in 2005

Trivia

* He speaks fluent Spanish.
* While struggling as an actor, he worked at a Manhattan post office as a clerk but quit after six months. Duvall said he didn't want to be working at the same place twenty years from now.
* Has the same birthday as Godfather co-star Diane Keaton.
* His favorite city is Buenos Aires, Argentina. He is an avid Tango dancer.
* His father was a Rear Admiral in the U.S. Navy.
* He is a descendant of American Civil War General Robert E. Lee.
* Received star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. [18 September 2003]
* Served in the United States Army (service number 52 346 646) from 19 August 1953 to 20 August 1954, achieving the rank of Private First Class and awarded the National Defense Service Medal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Duvall
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 03:47 am
Umberto Eco

Umberto Eco (born January 5, 1932) is an Italian medievalist, philosopher and novelist, best known for his novel The Name of the Rose and his many essays.

Biography and opus

Eco was born in Alessandria, in the Italian region of Piedmont. He is an author and semiotician. He graduated the University of Turin in 1954 in philosophy. He works as a professor of semiotics at the University of Bologna.

Eco's work on medieval aesthetics stressed the distinction between theory and practice. About the middle ages, he wrote, there was "a geometrically rational schema of what beauty ought to be, and on the other [hand] the unmediated life of art with its dialectic of forms and intentions" -- the two cut off from one another as if by a pane of glass.

Eco's work in literary theory has changed focus over time. Initially, he was one of the pioneers of "Reader Response." In Opera Aperta ("Open Work"), Eco argued that literary texts are fields of meaning, rather than strings of meaning, that they are understood as open, internally dynamic and psychologically engaged fields. Those works of literature that limit potential understanding to a single, unequivocal line are the least rewarding, while those that are most open, most active between mind and society and line, are the most lively (and, although valorizing terminology is not his business, best). Eco emphasizes the fact that words do not have meanings that are simply lexical, but rather operate in the context of utterance. So much had been said by I. A. Richards and others, but Eco draws out the implications for literature from this truth. He also extended the axis of meaning from the continually deferred meanings of words in an utterance to a play between expectation and fulfillment of meaning. Eco comes to these positions through a language study and from semiotics, rather than from psychology or historical analysis (as such theorists as Wolfgang Iser, on the one hand, and Hans-Robert Jauss, on the other hand, did). He has also influenced popular culture studies though without developing a full-scale theory in this field himself.

Eco employs his education as a medievalist in his novel The Name of the Rose, which was made into a movie starring Sean Connery as a monk who investigates a series of murders revolving around a monastery library. He is particularly good at translating medieval religious controversies and heresies into modern political and economic terms so that the reader can understand them without being a theologian. At the conclusion of that novel, we are left with a monk attempting to reconstruct a library based on scraps and attempting to create meaning by the combination of random pieces of information. This monk is fulfilling the role of a reader.

Although his novels often include references to arcane historical figures and texts and his dense, intricate plots tend to take dizzying turns, he has enjoyed a wide audience around the world, with good sales and many translations. Foucault's Pendulum, Eco's second novel, has also sold well. In Foucault's Pendulum, three companions, all of whom are under-employed publishers working for a minor publishing house decide, as a method of occpuying themselves, to weave together the narrative implicit within the conspiratorial histories, alchemical tracts and pseudo-scholarly investgiations of hermeticism that they regularly receive (and, as regularly, recommend to the vanity publishing house next door, of which they run a subsidiary). They pretend that the eventual 'alternative history' they create is the detailing of an immense and intricate master plot, the ultimate in nefarious schemes perpetrated by an elusive elite order descended from the Knights Templar, with the aim of taking over the world. Even as they mock the 'diabolicals' whose texts they are interpretively amalgamating, the three slowly become obsessed with the delienation of this 'Plan'. However, their derisive joke is believed by those whose material went into its creation, and they find themselves caught in a reality made by their fiction, as they are murderously pursued by those they sought to deride.

As in The Name of the Rose, characters in Foucault's Pendulum are obsessed with hermeneutics, and in particular the consciously concealed truth. Also, characters are again dealing with the random or the unintended. Eco's characters partially enact literary theory, as they demonstrate the manner by which meaning is manufactured by consciousness, and how it may be impossible for any human reading to be without the pursuit of, and sometimes unconscious application of meaning. As in semiotics, it is possible that there is an order antecedent to even the consciously random and that any manufactured meaning is true or false only to the degree that it is believed.

Eco's work illustrates the postmodernist literary theory concept of hypertextuality, or the inter-connectedness of all literary works and their interpretation. A woven fabric of cultural consciousness is imitated and, in fact, investigated.

Honorary doctorates

Since 1985, Umberto Eco has been awarded over thirty honorary doctorates from various academic institutions worldwide such as the universities of Paris (Sorbonne Nouvelle) (1989), Buenos Aires (1994), Santa Clara (1996), Moscow (1998), Berlin (FUB) (1998), Quebec (UQAM) (2000), Jerusalem (2002) and Siena (2002). The full list can be found on his official curriculum.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umberto_Eco
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 03:49 am
Diane Keaton

Diane Keaton (born Diane Hall on January 5, 1946) is an American actress, producer and director.

Early life

Keaton was born in Los Angeles, California. Her father is of Irish Catholic background, and her mother, whose maiden name is Keaton, comes from a Methodist family; Keaton was raised a Methodist. She attended Santa Ana College as an acting student.

Career

In 1969, Woody Allen cast her in his play Play It Again, Sam, which won her a Tony Award as Featured Dramatic Actress. During her run in the play, Hollywood came calling and Keaton made her film debut in 1970 in the film Lovers and Other Strangers. Her big break came when she was cast in Francis Ford Coppola's blockbuster The Godfather (1972) (she also appeared in the sequel). Around this time, she became romantically involved with Woody Allen and has played eccentric characters in several of his comic films including Annie Hall (1977) (in which she won the Academy Award for Best Actress that year), but has also won acclaim in roles such as in Looking for Mr. Goodbar (1977), Marvin's Room (1996), and Mrs. Soffel (1984). She later left Allen for a relationship with Warren Beatty, with whom she also appeared on screen in Reds (1981) (for which she was nominated for an Academy Award and Golden Globe).

Keaton has also proven herself as a director. She directed the 1987 documentary Heaven, a few music videos for artists such as Belinda Carlisle, two TV movies starring Patricia Arquette, and episodes of China Beach and Twin Peaks before directing her first feature film, Unstrung Heroes, in 1995. She has also directed two other movies: Mother's Helper in 1999 and Hanging Up in 2000 (which she also starred in).

Private life

Keaton, who has never married, has adopted two children. Since May 2005 she has been a contributing blogger at The Huffington Post.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diane_Keaton
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 05:36 am
Good Morning WA2K and listeners. Hope your day is a good one.

and a Happy birthday to:

http://www.vh1.com/sitewide/flipbooks/img/movies/people/d/duvall_robert/1865510_10.jpghttp://www.newyorksocialdiary.com/partypictures/2003/12.10.03/images/somethingsgottagive/DianeKeaton_120303_.jpg
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 07:59 am
Good morning, WA2K radio contributors and fans.

It's a crisp but lovely morning here in my little studio.

First, we would like to thank dys and edgar for the two "after hours" songs. Never heard the Johnny Mathias tune nor Dys' "....in cold blood...", but that reminds me that a movie of Truman Capote is playing somewhere in theaters.

Thanks again to our bio Bob for all his informative and revealing background on the notables of the world.

Hey, Raggedy. As usual, those are great pictures of Diane and Robert. I still recall, folks, the book and the movie, "To Kill a Mockingbird", and as we have often discussed before, I still believe that Tru ghost wrote the book. Interesting to me, also, is that Duvall and I share a common ancestor. <smile>

For some reason, folks. edgar's song prompts me to play this one:

Artist: Ray Charles Lyrics
Song: Let The Good Times Roll Lyrics

Hey everybody,
Let's have some fun
You only live but once
And when you're dead you're done
So let the good times roll,
I said let the good times roll,
I don't care if you're young or old,
You oughtta get together and let the good times roll
Don't sit there mumbling
Talkin' trash
If you want to have a ball,
You got to go out and spend some cash
And let the good times roll now,
I'm talkin' 'bout the good times,
Well it makes no difference whether you're young or old,
All you got to do is get together and let the good times roll
Hey y'all tell everybody, Ray Charles in town,
I got a dollar and a quarter and I'm just ringing the clock,
But don't let no female, play me cheap,
I got fifty cents more than I'm gonna keep.
So let the good times roll now,
I tell y'all I'm gonna let the good times roll now,
Well it don't make no difference if you're young or old,
All you got to do is get together and let the good times roll
Hey no matter whether, rainy weather,
If you want to have a ball, you got to get yourself together,
Oh, get yourself under control, woah, and let the good times roll.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 12:30 pm
Proverb for the day:

"He who knows not and knows not that he knows not is a fool; shun him.
He who knows not and knows that he knows not is a child; teach him.
He who knows but knows not that he knows is asleep; wake him.
He who knows and knows that he knows is wise; follow him."

Inspired to remember by muslim1 who posted a thread in our vast audience about the Hajj.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 04:50 pm
Hmmm, folks. Where is everyone?

No, matter. I was thinking about John Denver today and decided to give this one a play:

Almost heaven, west virginia
Blue ridge mountains
Shenandoah river -
Life is old there
Older than the trees
Younger than the mountains
Growin' like a breeze

Country roads, take me home
To the place I belong
West virginia, mountain momma
Take me home, country roads

All my memories gathered round her
Miner's lady, stranger to blue water
Dark and dusty, painted on the sky
Misty taste of moonshine
Teardrops in my eye

To the place I belong

I hear her voice
In the mornin' hour she calls me
The radio reminds me of my home far away
And drivin' down the road I get a feelin'
That I should have been home yesterday, yesterday

To the place I belong

To the place I belong
Take me home, now country roads
Take me home, now country roads

Words and music by bill danoff, taffy nivert and john denver
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 05:09 pm
speaking for myself, i've been tiptoeing in political waters. here's something i heard Cream perform last year in NYC: Cool

Hey now baby, get into my big black car
I wanna just show you what my politics are.

I'm a political man and I practice what I preach
I'm a political man and I practice what I preach
So don't deny me baby, not while you're in my reach.

I support the left, tho' I'm leanin', leanin' to the right
I support the left, tho' I'm leanin' to the right
But I'm just not there when it's coming to a fight.

I wanna just show you what my politics are.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 05:18 pm
Mr. Turtle. Just the one I wanted to hear.

Wow! Yit. That's a song that only a bushman would understand. Razz

Guess who this bunch is Yit?

http://www.baylinartists.com/images/AW-TISQ-1.jpg

Awesome, buddy.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 05:32 pm
Hi, gang! Here's Reyn with yet another song I can remember! Laughing

Beverly Hillbillies

Come and listen to a story about a man named Jed
A poor mountaineer, barely kept his family fed,
Then one day he was shootin at some food,
And up through the ground came a bubblin' crude.

Oil that is, black gold, Texas tea.

Well the first thing you know ol' Jed's a millionaire,
Kinfolk said Jed move away from there
Said Californy is the place you ought to be
So they loaded up the truck and moved to Beverly.

Hills, that is.
Swimmin pools, movie stars.

The Beverly Hillbillies!

http://www.prewarbuick.com/b472f7e0.jpg
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 05:32 pm
Here's another clue for our Mr. Turtle:

http://www.baylinartists.com/images/AW-Ying.jpg
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 05:35 pm
Well, hey, Reyn. Great having you back, oil and all.

My dad used to pronounce oil just like all. Thanks for that memory and that song, B.C.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 05:38 pm
That's the 4 a side Mixed Japanese Tag Team Wrestlers posing for a photo before defending the TOYOTA QUARTET CHAMPIONSHIP
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 05:38 pm
hehe, My sense of humour got me in a spot of bother in another thread.

See, when you're retired, you've got time on your hands! :wink:
0 Replies