so let's go where we're wanted
and I meet you at the cemetery gates
Keats and Yeats are on your side
but you lose because Wilde is on mine
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 06:11 pm
dj, that is one FABULOUS song. er, What does it mean? <smile>

You know listeners, our msolga has a great thread going that discusses multiple identities, and dj's cemetery gates sorta reminded me of that.

Foreigner

Two Different Worlds

I know this girl, she's always on my mind
She lives in her world and I live in mine
I should forget about her and I've tried
Lord knows I've tried
But I want to know her, and here's the other side

I've got someone waiting for me every night
She's the only one I've ever loved
And it's been that way for the longest time
She's the one that makes my world go right
And it tears me in two because I know where I'll be tonight

I think she knows it
I think she knows

Two different worlds, two different worlds
One that belongs to me, one could be wrong for me
Oh, two different worlds

Is she that different or is it the thrill of someone new
Strung out on her, I need her love
I need it bad, and I know, I know it's true
I'm the one that lies awake alone
I know, she's the one that makes me stray from home

And I know it
Yeah, I know it

One that I may regret, one that I can't forget
Oh, always two different worlds

No, I can't explain this emptiness
No, I know I can't go on like this

Two different worlds
I live in two different worlds
One that I may regret, one that I won't forget
Two different worlds
But I can't live in both, I know
One world I must let go.

Two worlds are all right, but when it get's to be three, we got us a problem
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 07:54 pm
Everyone must be as tired as I am, folks.

Stationbreak: This is cyberspace, WA2K radio
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 07:57 pm
Sweethearts
Camper Van Beethoven

'Cause he's always living back in Dixon
Circa 1949
And we're all sitting at the fountain,
at the five and dime

'Cause he's living in some B-movie
The lines they are so clearly drawn
In black and white life is so easy
And we're all coming along on this one

'Cause he's on a secret mission
Headquarters just radioed in
He left his baby at the dancehall
While the band plays on some sweet song

And on a mission over China
The lady opens up her arms
The flowers bloom where you haved placed them
And the lady smiles, just like mom

Angels wings are icing over
McDonnell-Douglas olive drab
They bear the names of our sweethearts
And the captain smiles, as we crash

'Cause in the mind of Ronald Reagan
Wheels they turn and gears they grind
Buildings collapse in slow motion
And trains collide, everything is fine

Everything is fine

Everything is fine
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 08:01 pm
Seven Languages
Camper Van Beethoven

I played this song for my love
But she said to me
"It has no meaning at all."
We walked across the park
And I said a word
And we went to the bar
For no reason at all
Well up in the sky
Well I saw a cloud
And I thought that it looked like something
But on second thought not

And I would come to visit you
But I can't find my car keys
And I can't remember where you live
And if I had just a little time
I could speak seven languages
I could walk on water

A friend calls me on the phone
And tells me a joke
Well I think that I laugh
But I don't remember at all
I woke up with a word in my head
And as far as I know
It has no meaning at all
Well up in the sky
Well I saw a cloud
And I thought it looked like a face
But on second thought not

And I would come to visit you
But I can't find my car keys
And I can't think of right words to say
And if I had just a little time
I could speak seven languages
I could walk on water
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 08:08 pm
my goodnight song

Satisfy You
Cracker

As far as I know, the world don't spin
They carry you around in your bed
And rearrange the stars all night
to satisfy you
Satisfy you
Satisfy you
Satisfy you
Satisfy you

Could I redeem myself
If I was someone else
I'd walk on the water
In your dad's swimming pool
Show you my bloody palms
If I thought that would satisfy you
Satisfy you
Satisfy you
Satisfy you
Satisfy you

Now I'm not wise, and I'm not old
So I'll be bitter, and I'll be cruel
I just did it less each and every day
Did I satisfy
Did I saaaaaaaatisfy-ha-ah-ah-ay ha-ah-ah you
Until satisfy-ha-ah-ah-ay ha-ah-ah you
Until satisfy (satisfy you, satisfy you)
Until satis--oh till I satisfy (satisfy you, satisfy you)
Until I satisfy
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 08:35 pm
Goodnight, dj, our dear and prolific Canadian friend.

All of those lyrics were deep and meaningful. I especially liked "...I woke up with a word in my head...." . Not certain why, either.

I would like to leave on this note, dear WA2K friends and contributors:

Please remember that.............

Due to the climate of political correctness now pervading America,
West Virginians will no longer be referred
to as "HILLBILLIES."

You must now refer to them as APPALACHIAN-AMERICANS. <smile>

And a cute cartoon song for those at the "Where Am I" geography center:

What do they do on a rainy night in Rio?
What do they do when there is no starry sky?
(Oh, a starry sky!)
Where do they go when they can't go for a walk?
Do they stay home and talk?
Or do they sit and sighayeyi.

What do they do in Mississippi,
When skies are drippy...?

And what do they do in Tee-ya-wanna,
When they wanna snuggle tight?
Well....

That's what they do in Rio on a rainy night.

Love it. Goodnight.

From Letty with love
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 09:07 pm
letty wrote :
"VIENNA, Austria - Have scientists found Mozart's skull? "

there is an old joke about mozart's skull that we boys were telling each other when i lived in vienna a looooong time ago .
a tourist visits a museum in vienna and notices that there is a skull on display being described as mozart's . he also sees that there is a rather small skull displayed next to mozart's skull , but no description is given . the puzzled tourist aks one of the old old museum guides about the significance of the small skull . the guide replies : "for a long time we only had the skull of the young mozart , but now that the skull of mozart at an older age has been found , we like to display them side-by-side to show how his skull increased with age " .

of course this is a somewhat crude joke that appealed very much to young boys ! now that i'm getting "a little" older" , i start to remember these cruelties ! hbg
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 09:07 pm
Twelfth of Never - Johnny Mathis

You ask me how much I need you
Must I explain
I need you oh my darling
Like roses need rain
You ask how long I'll love you
I'll tell you true
Until the Twelfth of Never
I'll still be loving you

Hold me close
Never let me go
Hold me close
Melt my heart like April snow

I'll love you 'til the bluebells
Forget to bloom
I'll love you 'til the clover
Has lost its perfume
And I'll love you 'til the poets
Run out of rhyme
And that's a long, long time

Hold me close
Never let me go
Hold me close
Melt my heart like April snow

I'll love you 'til the bluebells
Forget to bloom
I'll love you 'til the clover
Has lost its perfume
And I'll love you 'til the poets
Run out of rhyme
A long, long time
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 03:10 am
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 03:17 am
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 03:19 am
Louis Braille
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Louis Braille (January 4, 1809-January 6, 1852) was the inventor of the Braille writing system for the blind.
Louis Braille

Braille was born in Coupvray near Paris, France. His father, Simon-René Braille, was a harness and saddle maker. At the age of three Louis injured his left eye with an awl from the workshop. This caused an infection in his left eye which spread to his right eye, and he became blind.

When he was ten he earned a scholarship to the Institution Royale des Jeunes Aveugles (Royal Institution for Blind Youth) in Paris. He played the organ and became professor at the same institution.

At the school, the children were taught to read by feeling raised letters (a system devised by Valentin Haüy) but they couldn't write because the printing was made with wire letters pressed on to paper.

In 1821, a former soldier named Charles Barbier visited the school. Barbier shared his invention called "night writing," a code of twelve raised dots that let soldiers share top-secret information on the battlefield without even having to speak. Unfortunately, the code was too hard for the soldiers. Louis, however, picked it up quickly.

That year, Braille began inventing his raised-dot system, finishing at age fifteen. Braille used only six dots, where Charles had used twelve. The Braille system offered numerous benefits over Valentin Haüy's raised letter method, the most notable being the ability to both read and write the language.

Braille later extended his system to include notation for mathematics and music, before dying of tuberculosis at 44. He is buried in the Panthéon, Paris, France.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Braille
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 03:22 am
Sterling Holloway

Sterling Price Holloway, Jr. (January 4, 1905 - November 22, 1992) was a perennial voice actor for the Walt Disney Studios, who began with a cameo role in Dumbo and later became a Disney legend as the voice of Winnie the Pooh.

Early career

Holloway was named after Confederate General Sterling "Pap" Price. He was born in Cedartown, Georgia in 1905. After attending the Georgia Military Academy in College Park, he attended the American Academy of Dramatic Arts in New York. Holloway made his way through the Theater Guild to appear in the first joint venture of Richard Rodgers and Lorenz Hart, Garrick Gaieties, a series of revues in the 1920s. With his light tenor voice, young Holloway made a foray into a professional singing career. He introduced the Rodgers and Hart standard "I'll Take Manhattan" in 1925, and in the 1926 edition of Garrick Gaities he sang "Mountain Greenery" ("...where God paints the scenery").

Voice

In 1930, Holloway moved to Hollywood to begin a movie career that was to last for almost fifty years. Though he was one of the busiest character actors in the movies, he soon found his niche as a voice actor. In 1941, Holloway's voice was heard in his first Walt Disney animated film, Dumbo, where he was the voice of "Mr. Stork." He was the voice of the adult "Flower" in Bambi (1942), the narrator in the Peter and the Wolf sequence of Make Mine Music, Kaa in The Jungle Book, and the Cheshire cat in Alice in Wonderland (1951):

"If you do not know where you are going... any road will take you there."

His greatest fame was achieved as the voice of Pooh Bear in the Winnie the Pooh series, a role that he voiced until his retirement in 1979. Disney honored him as an official Disney legend in 1991.

Sterling Holloway also voiced the original Cheerios Honey-Nut Bee.

Television

Sterling Holloway had a long career as a character actor in live-action films as well, with his memorably comic face, tousled sandy hair and squeaky voice. On TV, he had a recurring role as "Uncle Oscar" on The Adventures of Superman series, and had a recurring role on The Life of Riley. He appeared in The Untouchables, Hazel, The Twilight Zone, Gilligan's Island, and The Andy Griffith Show.

Holloway portrayed a Mafia hitman in the film Thunder and Lightning (1977).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sterling_Holloway
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 03:25 am
Jane Wyman

Jane Wyman (born on January 4, 1914, though some sources claim she was born January 5, 1917) is an Oscar-winning American actress best known for playing disabled characters such as Belinda MacDonald in Johnny Belinda and Helen Phillips in Magnificent Obsession. She was also well known as the evil matriarch Angela Channing on the 1980s prime-time soap opera, Falcon Crest.

Early life

Born Sarah Jane Mayfield in Saint Joseph, Missouri to the town's mayor and a struggling actress, she later took the name Sarah Jane Fulks in honor of the neighbor family who "unofficially adopted" her after her parents divorced. In 1928, she and her mother moved to Southern California, where her mother, Le Jerne Pichelle, tried to start her own acting career. When that was unsuccessful, she turned to her daughter as an alternative, but neither was able to move Hollywood. The two moved back to Missouri, where Sarah Jane attended college, but in 1930 she began a radio singing career, calling herself Jane Durrell.

Early Hollywood career

By 1932, she was in Hollywood, obtaining bit parts in The Kid from Spain (as a 'Goldwyn Girl') (1932), My Man Godfrey (1936) and Cain and Mabel (1936). Her big break came, the following year, when she received her first big role in Public Wedding (1937), and her movie career took off. In 1939 she received her first starring role, in Torchy Plays With Dynamite.

Marriage to Ronald Reagan

In the previous year, she had co-starred with Ronald Reagan in Brother Rat (1938), and its sequel Brother Rat and a Baby (1940). The two were married (her third marriage, and his first) on January 26, 1940, but divorced on June 28, 1948. They had three children; Maureen Reagan (1941-2001), Michael Reagan (born March 18, 1945), who was adopted, and Christine Reagan (born and died June 26, 1947).

Acclaim in Hollywood

Wyman finally gained critical notice in the film noir The Lost Weekend (1945). She was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Actress in 1946 for The Yearling (1946), and finally won the Oscar in 1948 for her role as the deaf-mute rape victim in Johnny Belinda (1948). She was the first Oscar winner to earn the award without speaking one line of dialogue. In an amusing acceptance speech, perhaps poking fun at some of her long-winded counterparts, Wyman took her statue and said, "I won this by keeping my mouth shut, and that's what I'm going to do now."

The Oscar win gave her the ability to choose meatier roles, although she still showed a liking for musical comedy. She worked with such directors as Alfred Hitchcock on Stage Fright (1950), with Frank Capra on Here Comes the Groom (1951) and with Michael Curtiz on The Story of Will Rogers (1952). She starred in The Glass Menagerie (1950), Just for You (1952), Let's Do It Again (1953), The Blue Veil (1951) (another Oscar nomination), So Big (1953), Magnificent Obsession (1954) (Oscar nomination), Lucy Gallant (1955), All That Heaven Allows (1955) and Miracle in the Rain (1956).

She came back to the big screen after her anthology series to replace Gene Tierney in Holiday for Lovers (1959), Pollyanna (1960), Bon Voyage (1962), and her final big screen movie How to Commit Marriage (1969). Also, she starred in two unsold pilots of the 1960s and 1970s, and went into semi-retirement that same decade.

Television work

In the 1950s, she hosted a television anthology series, Jane Wyman Theater, for which she was nominated for an Emmy Award in 1957.

Falcon Crest

She gained a new generation of fans in the 1980s when she starred as the diabolical vintner Angela Channing in the night-time soap opera Falcon Crest, with the encouragement of her ex-husband and then US President Ronald Reagan. Also starring on that soap opera was Fernando Lamas's & Arlene Dahl's son, Lorenzo Lamas, who played Angela's irresponsible grandson, Lance Cumson, and the chemistry of both Wyman and Lamas were a hit. When Lamas came to the show, he not only not had to give her that Valentino look, but he was told to wear contact lenses as well, as they each shared their storylines and participated in different scenes. During the first season, Falcon Crest was a consistent ratings winner, although behind Dallas and Dynasty. In the second season of Falcon Crest in 1982, the writers were told to make the storylines a lot more dramatic and intriguing to improve ratings. For her role as Angela Channing, Jane Wyman was nominated for a Soap Opera Digest Award five times (for Outstanding Actress in a Leading Role and for Outstanding Villainess: Prime Time Serial), and was also nominated for a Golden Globe award in 1983 and 1984. That same year, she won the Golden Globe for Best Performance By an Actress in a TV Series. In 1986, the actress had abdominal surgery which caused her to miss two episodes (her character, Angela, disappeared from the show after being arrested). Jane Wyman feuded with actor Robert Foxworth (who played Chase Gioberti) right up until he left the show in 1987 to spend more time with his ailing girlfriend (Elizabeth Montgomery of Bewitched fame). In 1988, Jane Wyman renegotiated her contract from the production company, and thus became the highest-paid actress on the show. That same year, she missed only one episode and was told by her doctor to end her acting career, but always wanted to keep working in order to remain popular. She completed almost all the episodes of the 1988-89 season, while her health was still deterioriating. In 1989, while Falcon Crest still had low ratings, she was hospitalized with diabetes and liver ailment, and the doctors told Wyman that she couldn't work any longer, and for most of the 9th and final season, her character Angela was to lay comatose in a hospital bed while her family was fighting over as to who got the Falcon Crest winery. The actor Lorenzo Lamas visited the ailing Wyman at the hospital. She soon recovered, and in 1990, against her doctor's advice, she returned to the show for the final three episodes, and delivered a great soliloquy on the series finale. She stayed on the show throughout its entire run, even when health problems plagued her, thus appearing in 208 of the 227 episodes of the series.

After Falcon Crest

Jane Wyman's last guest-starring role was that of Jane Seymour's mother on Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman. She retired after this role.

Private life

A devout Catholic convert, Jane Wyman has lived in reclusion for a number of years due to declining health (she suffers from arthritis and diabetes), and apparently tends to be seen in public only at funerals, such as for her late daughter, Maureen Reagan, and her late best friend Loretta Young.

During her retirement in 1997, she purchased a new house in Rancho Mirage, California, so that she could continue living a quiet life and attending honorable charity events. On April 16, 2003, she placed her 3200 square foot Rancho Mirage condominium on the market and moved to a house in Palm Springs, California. As of 2005, at age 91, she has starred in 83 movies, two successful TV series and was nominated for Oscars four times and won once.

Wyman has two stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame; one for motion pictures at 6607 Hollywood Blvd. and one for television at 1620 Vine Street.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jane_Wyman
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 04:32 am
bobsmythhawk wrote:
Isaac Newton

Born 4 January [O.S. 25 December 1642] 1643
Woolsthorpe-by-Colsterworth, Lincolnshire, England
Died 31 March [O.S. 20 March] 1727
Kensington, London
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaac_Newton

if any listeners were puzzled by the date discrepancies as i was, i found that the letters O.S. indicate old style, or Julian calendar. here's some explanatory excerpts from wikipedia on this topic:

The calendar remained in use into the 20th century in some countries and is still used by many national Orthodox churches. However with this scheme too many leap days are added with respect to the astronomical seasons, which on average occur earlier in the calendar by about 11 minutes per year, causing it to gain a day about every 128 years. It is said that Caesar was aware of the discrepancy, but felt it was of little importance.

The Julian calendar was in general use in Europe from the times of the Roman Empire until 1582, when Pope Gregory XIII promulgated the Gregorian Calendar, which was soon adopted by most Catholic countries. The Protestant countries followed later, and the countries of Eastern Europe even later. Great Britain had Thursday 14 September 1752 follow Wednesday 2 September 1752.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 07:15 am
Good morning, WA2K radio listeners and contributors.

hamburger, we always enjoy your little anecdotes about youthful indiscretions. I suspect we have all been there, buddy.

and thanks to edgar for the twelth of never by J.M. You and dj have a plethora of timely songs. <smile>

Bob, do you mean that Newton did not discover gravity by getting whacked by an apple? Ah, buddy, you just ruined all I know about science. Thanks, Boston, you always give us new insight with your bios. I was particularly interested in his religious views.

Mr. Turtle, we also appreciate the observation about calendar stuff. <smile>

Hey, folks, how about a dedication song to Isaac:

It isn't by chance I happen to be,
A boulevardier, the toast of Paris.
For over the noise, the talk and the smoke,
I'm good for a laugh, a drink or a joke.
I walk in a room, a party or ball,
"Come sit over here" somebody will call.
"A drink for M'sieur, a drink for us all!
But how many times I stop and recall.

Ah, the apple trees,
Blossoms in the breeze,
That we walked among,
Lying in the hay,
Games we used to play,
While the rounds were sung,
Only yesterday when the world was young.

Wherever I go they mention my name,
And that in itself, is some sort of fame,
"Come by for a drink, we're having a game,"
Wherever I go I'm glad that I came.
The talk is quite gay, the company fine,
There's laughter and lights, and glamour and wine,
And beautiful girls and some of them mine,
But often my eyes see a diff'rent shine.

Ah, the apple trees,
Sunlit memories,
Where the hammock swung,
On our backs we'd lie,
Looking at the sky,
Till the stars were strung,
Only last July when the world was young.

While sitting around, we often recall,
The laugh of the year, the night of them all.
The blonde who was so attractive that year,
Some opening night that made us all cheer.
Remember that time we all got so tight,
And Jacques and Antoine got into a fight.
The gendarmes who came, passed out like a light,
I laugh with the rest, it's all very bright.

Ah, the apple trees,
And the hive of bees
Where we once got stung,
Summers at Bordeaux,
Rowing the bateau,
Where the willow hung,
Just a dream ago, when the world was young.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 08:23 am
That's a nice song, Miss Letty.

Thank you.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 08:35 am
Well, there's our McTag, listeners. You are most welcome, Brit. I love it as well.

Always good to see Europe here, and I am glad that I didn't jump the gun and give the good news that was mistakenly reported about the trapped miners in West Virginia. It appears that only one survived the explosion.

There is nothing much that we can say to comfort the families, but know that the world is with you in your sorrows.

Can't help but think of Oliver Wendell Holmes today:

Build thee more stately mansions, O my soul,
As the swift seasons roll!
Leave thy low-vaulted past!
Let each new temple, nobler than the last,
Shut thee from heaven with a dome more vast,
Till thou at length art free,
Leaving thine outgrown shell by life's unresting sea!

Beautifully set to music, this final verse of Holmes' The Chambered Nautilus, is an attempt at hope, listeners.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 09:05 am
On January 4, 1936 Billboard magazine published its first music hit parade.

No. 1 on the US billboard of January 7, 1956:

Sixteen Tons, by Tennessee Ernie Ford, one of my all time favourites:

Some people say a man is made outta mud
A poor man's made outta muscle and blood
Muscle and blood and skin and bones
A mind that's a-weak and a back that's strong

You load sixteen tons, what do you get
Another day older and deeper in debt
Saint Peter don't you call me 'cause I can't go
I owe my soul to the company store

I was born one mornin' when the sun didn't shine
I picked up my shovel and I walked to the mine
I loaded sixteen tons of number nine coal
And the straw boss said "Well, a-bless my soul"

I was born one mornin', it was drizzlin' rain
Fightin' and trouble are my middle name
I was raised in the canebrake by an ol' mama lion
Cain't no-a high-toned woman make me walk the line

If you see me comin', better step aside
A lotta men didn't, a lotta men died
One fist of iron, the other of steel
If the right one don't a-get you
Then the left one will

Interesting: Sixteen Tons - The Story Behind The Legend
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 09:32 am
Walter, that fascinating story behind Sixteen Tons was even more appealing than the song. Thanks, Gus, (er, I mean Walter) <smile>

How often, listeners, have we talked about the song, "In the Pines", (I really think it was "In the Mines." altered to appease the coal barons)

Folk music is often altered, listeners, as is this version:

My girl, my girl, don't lie to me
Tell me where did you sleep last night
In the pines, in the pines
Where the sun don't ever shine
I would shiver the whole night through

My girl, my girl, where will you go?
I'm going where the cold wind blows
In the pines, in the pines
Where the sun don't ever shine
I would shiver the whole night through

Her husband, was a hard working man