Though we are so far apart
You've got to hide your love
'Cause that's the way the whole thing started
I wish we had never parted

Play one more for my radio sweetheart
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 11:50 pm
Dj, that's a sweet song for our Radio Sweetheart.

I'm the only one in the house still awake and this song started going through my head.

DO YOU WANNA DANCE ? (Johnny Rivers)

(Chorus 1)
Do you wanna dance and hold my hand ?
Tell me that I'm your man
Baby, do you wanna dance ?

Do you wanna dance under the moonlight ?
Squeeze and kiss me all through the night
Do you wanna dance girl and hold my hand ?
Tell me that I'm your man
Do you wanna dance under the moonlight ?
Love me girl all through the night

(Chorus 2)
Girl now do you do you do you do you wanna dance ?
Do you do you do you do you wanna dance ?
Do you do you wanna dance ?

(Repeat Chorus 1)

Yes, do you wanna dance I mean under the moonlight ?
Squeeze and kiss me all through the night

(Repeat Chorus 2)
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 12:53 am
Hi Diane, I awoke in time to catch your night-time song.
That particular song was covered in this country by Cliff Richard and the Shadows, a guitar band of the 1960s.
I do not know the American version, but I imagine it was better.
At the moment, BBC is rerunning daily a series of TV programmes about the history of The Broadway Musical, a very detailed treatment starting from early Jewish theatre in the Lower East Side of New York at the turn of the 20th Century, and by yesterday they had got up to "Oklahoma", by way of George M Cohan, Irving Berlin, George Gershwin, Lorenz Hart and Cole Porter.
Today will be Rogers and Hammerstein I suppose, and Sondheim, bringing us up to the present day.
A marvellous series.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 01:13 am
Goodnight, sweetheart, it's the time to go....
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 04:45 am
The Yellow Rose of Texas

Melody - Melody - 1853, by a J.K.

There's a yellow rose in Texas
That I am going to see,
Nobody else could miss her,
Just half as much as me.
She cried so when I left her,
It like to broke my heart,
And if I ever find her
We never more will part.

Chorus:
She's the sweetest little rosebud
That Texas ever knew,
Her eyes are bright as diamonds,
They sparkle like the dew.
You can talk about your Clementine
And sing of Rosa Lee,
But the Yellow Rose of Texas
Is the only gal for me.

When the Rio Grande is flowing,
And the starry skies are bright
She walks along the river
In the quiet summer night
She thinks if I remember,
When we parted long ago,
I promised to come back again
And not to leave her so.
Chorus:

O, now I'm going to find her,
For my heart is full of woe,
And we'll sing the songs together,
That we sung long ago;
We'll play the banjo gaily,
And we'll sing the songs of yore,
And the Yellow Rose of Texas
Will be mine forevermore.
Chorus:

A popular Confederate marching song during the Civil War and later with the U.S. Cavalry on western frontier and along the cattle trails.

According to legend "The Yellow Rose of Texas" was "high yellow" Emily Morgan West, who was born a slave and captured by general Santa Anna during the Texas Revolution in 1836. The General tried to win her charms and failed, but Emily managed to smuggle Santa Anna's battle plans to Sam Houston who then defeated Santa Anna at the Battle of San Jacinto. Perhaps Texas would still be part of Mexico today, were it not for the "High yeller Rose", who knows?
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 04:50 am
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 04:53 am
Lew Ayres
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Lew Ayres (December 28, 1908 - December 30, 1996) was an American actor. Born Lewis Frederick Ayre III in Minneapolis, Minnesota and raised in San Diego, California, Ayres began acting in bit player roles in films in 1927. He played opposite Greta Garbo in 1927's The Kiss, but it was his starring role in 1930's All Quiet on the Western Front which made him a star. He played the title role in Young Dr. Kildare in 1938, and became a matinee idol, starring in several Kildare films.

But his conscientious objector status during World War II caused outrage throughout America, until he volunteered with the Medical Corps, serving in the Pacific and in New Guinea. In 1948 he was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Actor for Johnny Belinda, but his career was sparse after the war. He was offered the part of Doctor Kildare in a television series, but his request that the show would not have cigarette ads torpedoed that.

His 1976 documentary film Altars of the World brought his Eastern philosophical beliefs to the screen and earned him critical acclaim.

Late in life, he appeared on The Mary Tyler Moore Show as the father of the Murray Slaughter character played by Gavin MacLeod. The amusing episode involved Mary's May-November romance with Mr. Slaughter.

Ayres was married three times. He was married to actress Lola Lane from 1931 until 1933 and to actress Ginger Rogers from 1934 until 1940. His third marriage, to Diana Hall, lasted from 1964 until his death from undisclosed causes at the age of 88.

He has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame at 6385 Hollywood Blvd.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lew_Ayres
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 04:56 am
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 04:59 am
Hildegard Knef

Hildegard Knef (December 28, 1925 - February 1, 2002) was a German actress, singer and writer. She was billed in some English language films as Hildegard(e) Neff. Arguably, her most influential roles included that of Susanne Wallner in Wolfgang Staudte's film "Die Mörder sind unter uns (The Murderers Are Among Us)" (the first film released after the Second World War in East Germany and produced by the Soviet filmmaking enterprise DEFA-Studio für Spielfilme) as well as her role as Marina in "Die Sünderin (The Sinner)" in which she performed the first nude scene in German filmmaking. The incident in the latter film sparked one of the largest scandals in German filmmaking history and drew the criticism of the Roman Catholic Church.

She was sometimes compared to that other great German actress, Marlene Dietrich, in that they both were, or portrayed as, the liberated, self-confident woman. Hildegard Knef was one of the most important actresses of post-war Germany.

She has published serveral books. Her autobiography "Der geschenkte Gaul - Bericht aus meinem Leben" ("The Gift Horse - Report from my life") is a candid, but not sensationalist, recount of her life in Germany during and after World War II.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hildegard_Knef
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 05:03 am
Nichelle Nichols

Nichelle Nichols (born December 28, 1933) is an American singer and actress. She sang with Duke Ellington and Lionel Hampton before turning to acting. Her most famous role was playing communications officer Lieutenant Uhura aboard the USS Enterprise in the popular Star Trek television series, as well as the succeeding motion picture spinoffs, where her character was eventually promoted in Starfleet to the rank of commander, though she never received a first name.

Biography

Nichelle Nichols was born in in Robbins, Illinois, near Chicago. Her father was both the town mayor of Robbins and its chief magistrate. She studied in Chicago as well as New York and Los Angeles. During her time in New York, Nichelle appeared at the famous "Blue Angel" and Playboy Clubs, as a singer. She also appeared in the role of Carmen for a Chicago stock company production of Carmen Jones.

She has twice been nominated for the Sara Siddon Award as best actress and is an accomplished dancer and singer. Her first Siddon nomination was for her portrayal of Hazel Sharp in Kicks and Co., and the second for her performance in The Blacks.

Nichols toured the United States, Canada and Europe as a singer with the Duke Ellington and Lionel Hampton bands. On the West Coast, she appeared in "The Roar of the Greasepaint, the Smell of the Crowd," "For My People," and garnered high praise for her performance in the James Baldwin play, "Blues for Mr. Charlie."

Prior to being cast as Lt. Uhura in Star Trek, Nichols was a guest actress on television producer Gene Roddenberry's first series, The Lieutenant.

However, it was in Star Trek that Nichols gained popularity by being the first African American woman to be featured in a major television series. However, during the first year of the series, Nichols was tempted to leave the show as she felt her role lacked significance, but a chance and moving meeting with Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. changed her mind. Dr. King personally encouraged her to stay on the show, telling her that he was a fan of the series and told her she "could not give up"... for she was playing a vital role model for young black children and women across the country. After the first season, Uhura's role on the series was expanded beyond just manning the communications console.

Former NASA astronaut, Dr. Mae Jemison has cited Nichols' role of Lt. Uhura as her inspiration for wanting to become an astronaut and Whoopi Goldberg has also spoken of Nichols' influence.

In her role as Lt. Uhura, she participated in the first interracial kiss on US television, with Canadian actor William Shatner (as Captain James T. Kirk) in the 1968 Star Trek episode "Plato's Stepchildren". The scene provoked protest and was seen as groundbreaking, even though the kiss was portrayed as having been forced by alien mind control. The episode was not telecast in some Southern cities as a result of the protests in those states; nevertheless, it caused many viewers to contact the broadcaster and the majority of the feedback of the incident was positive. It was over twenty-five years before it was broadcast on British television.

After the series ended in 1969, Nichols volunteered her time in a special project with NASA to recruit minority and female personnel for the space agency, which proved to be a spectacular success. They include Dr. Sally K. Ride, the first American female astronaut and USAF Col. Guion Bluford, the first African-American astronaut, as well as Dr. Judith Resnik and Dr. Ronald McNair, who both flew successful missions during the space shuttle program before they died in the Challenger Accident on January 28, 1986.

An enthusiastic advocate of space exploration, Nichols has served since the mid-1980s on the Board of Governors of the National Space Society, a nonprofit, educational space advocacy organization founded by Dr. Wernher von Braun.

Always interested in space travel, Nichelle flew aboard NASA's C-141 Astronomy Observatory, which analyzed the atmospheres of Mars and Saturn on an eight hour, high-altitude mission. She was also a special guest at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California on July 17, 1976 to view the Viking 1 soft landing on Mars. Along with the other cast members from the original Star Trek series, Nichelle attended the christening of the first space shuttle, Enterprise, at the North American Rockwell assembly facility in Palmdale, California.

In 1994, she published her autobiography Beyond Uhura: Star Trek and Other Memories.

Between the end of the original series and the Star Trek animated show and feature films, Nichols starred in minor roles in film and TV. She portrayed a foul-mouthed madam in Truck Turner (1974) opposite Isaac Hayes. She appeared as one of Al Gore's Vice Presidential Action Rangers in an episode of the animated series Futurama.

Nichelle Nichols' brother Thomas died on March 26, 1997 in the Heaven's Gate cult suicide.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nichelle_Nichols
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 05:06 am
Maggie Smith

Dame Margaret Natalie Smith, DBE, (born December 28, 1934 in Ilford, Essex), better known as Maggie Smith, is a British film, stage, and television actress.

Throughout her career, Smith has been admired for her remarkable technique, on both stage and screen. She has the ability to project a quality of deep emotion (whether comic or tragic) balanced by an innate reserve that combines the appearance of steely control and a hint of something approaching hysteria.

She started her career at the Oxford Playhouse Theatre with Frank Shelley, and made her first film in 1956. In 1969 she won the Academy Award for Best Actress for her role as an unorthodox Scottish schoolteacher in The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie. She was also awarded the 1978 Academy Award for Best Supporting Female Actress for her role as a brittle actress in California Suite. Other notable roles include the querulous Cousin Charlotte in the Merchant-Ivory production of A Room with a View and a vivid supporting turn as the aged Duchess of York in Ian McKellan's film of Richard III. Given the international success of the Harry Potter movies, she is possibly most widely known to filmgoers for her work as Professor Minerva McGonagall.

Onstage, she has played the title character in the stage production of Alan Bennett's Lady in the Van and starred as Peter Pan in Sir J. M. Barrie's fairytale story Peter Pan. She won a Tony Award in 1990 for Best Actress in a Play for Lettice and Lovage, starring as an eccentric tour guide in an English stately home.

She has been married twice. She married Sir Robert Stephens on June 29, 1967, at the Greenwich Registry office and had two sons with him: actors Chris Larkin (b. 1967) and Toby Stephens (b. 1969), both of whom were born at Middlesex Hospital. She and Sir Robert divorced on May 6, 1974. She then married Beverly Cross on August 23, 1975, at Guilford Registry office. The marriage ended with his death on March 20, 1998.

She has received numerous honours throughout her career, culminating in a DBE in 1989 at age 55.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maggie_Smith
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 05:08 am
Denzel Washington

Denzel Washington (born December 28, 1954 in Mount Vernon, New York, ) is an American Academy Award-winning actor.

Childhood

He is the son of a Pentecostal minister and a beauty parlour owner. In his youth, Washington was banned by his parents from watching movies. When his parents separated, Washington went through a rebellious stage, at the end of which several of his friends were sentenced to prison. His mother's reaction to his behavioral problems was to send him to preparatory school, and, later, on to Fordham University, where he discovered acting and earned a degree in journalism.

Early work

He landed his first film role in the 1975 TV movie Wilma. While filming this movie he met actress Pauletta Washington, whom he later married. His big break came when he starred in the popular TV hospital drama St. Elsewhere. He was one of only a few actors to be on the series for its entire six-year run.

First Oscar

Washington turned down roles in several action movies, in hopes for a more challenging role. In 1987 he starred as South African anti-apartheid campaigner Steve Biko in Richard Attenborough's Cry Freedom. In 1989 Washington won an Oscar for Best Supporting Actor, after playing a defiant self-possessed slave in the film Glory.

Malcolm X

Washington played one of his most critically acclaimed roles in 1992's Malcolm X, directed by Spike Lee, where his performance as the Black Nationalist leader earned him an Oscar nomination. Both the influential film critic Roger Ebert and the highly-acclaimed film director Martin Scorsese called the movie one of the ten best films made during the 1990s.

Malcolm X transformed Washington's career, turning him, practically overnight, into one of Hollywood's most respected actors. He turned down several similar roles, such as the chance to play Martin Luther King, Jr., because he wanted to avoid being typecast by subject matter.

According to Jet magazine, for the 1995 film, Virtuosity, Denzel Washington refused to kiss his white female co-star, Kelly Lynch. During an interview, she said that she wanted to, but "[Denzel] felt very strongly about it. I felt there is no problem with interracial romance. But Denzel felt strongly that the white males, who were the target audience of this movie, would not want to see him kiss a white woman." Lynch further stated, "That's a shame. I feel badly about it. I keep thinking that the world's changed, but it hasn't changed quick enough." However, in 1998 Denzel had a hot sex scene with Milla Jovovich in Spike Lee's He Got Game.

In 1999, Washington starred in The Hurricane, a movie about boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter, whose conviction for triple murder was overturned after he had spent almost 20 years in prison. Various newspaper articles have suggested that the controversy over the film's accuracy may have cost Washington the Oscar. Nevertheless, he received a 'Golden Globe Award' in 2000 and a 'Silberner Bär' (Silver Berlin Bear) from the Berlin International Film Festival.

Second Oscar

After being nominated several times before, in 2002 Washington finally won an Oscar for Best Actor and another Golden Globe for his performance in the film Training Day in which he played a corrupt street-smart cop.

Washington made his debut as a director with Antwone Fisher (2002), a film about a man who confronts his traumatic past with the support of a naval psychiatrist. Washington also co-starred in the film.

In 2004, Washington announced that he would only be willing to play villains in films. The following year, he played Marcus Brutus in the Broadway revival of William Shakespeare's Julius Caesar

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denzel_Washington
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 05:42 am
SING BOY SING (Tommy Sands / Rod McKuen) Tommy Sands - 1958
Sing boy sing, sing all your blues away Whenever I get lonely, sing boy sing When life goes kind of sadly, sing boy sing When I start to open my mouth and sing a little song Makes everything right that once seemed wrong Even the cuckoo in the clock on the wall Is just a-having himself a natural ball Sing boy sing, things are better Sing boy sing, yeah better Sing boy sing, sing all your blues away Now, a girl can make you happy, sing boy sing But might just make me lonely, sing boy sing When I start to open my mouth and sing a little song Makes it easy to forget what she done wrong I thought I couldn't do it, but I set out to try Sang a little song and forgot how to cry Sing boy sing, things are better Sing boy sing, yeah better Sing boy sing, sing all your blues away Well, I done a lot of travelling, sing boy sing Just like ball of twine unravelling, sing boy sing When you start to open your mouth and sing a little song Hop on a choo-choo, let it chug all along It makes no difference if I get bad news I just sing this song and say so long blues Sing boy sing (sing boy) Sing boy sing (sing boy) Sing boy sing (sing all your blues away)
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 08:15 am
Good morning, WA2K listeners and contributors.

Thanks to everyone for the songs and background. Letty is a bit under the weather today. (whatever that means) so I shall be back later to recognize each contribution.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 08:47 am
Now, folks, it time to recognize each of our contributors.

First, may I thank dj for the Radio Sweetheart song. Yes, Canada that was delightful.

Diane, I like Johnny Horton stuff, and I'm sure McTag will forgive us if I play a song by him about the bloody British. Razz

C.I. What a sweet and brief goodnight message. Hope all is well in Silicon Valley, buddy.

Now for our Bio Bob. Your background of famous folks is always appreciated, Boston, but I am particularly intrigued by Denzel Washington because I find him to be one excellent actor.

edgar, that was a song that I did not know, but you have a vast collection, Texas, so I am not surprised.

Now for that Johnny Horton song:

In 1814 we took a little trip
Along with Colonel Jackson down the mighty Mississip.
We took a little bacon and we took a little beans
And we caught the bloody British in the town of New Orleans.

[Chorus:]
We fired our guns and the British kept a'comin.
There wasn't nigh as many as there was a while ago.
We fired once more and they began to runnin' on
Down the Mississippi to the Gulf of Mexico.

We looked down the river and we see'd the British come.
And there must have been a hundred of'em beatin' on the drum.
They stepped so high and they made the bugles ring.
We stood by our cotton bales and didn't say a thing.

[Chorus]

Old Hickory said we could take 'em by surprise
If we didn't fire our muskets 'til we looked 'em in the eye
We held our fire 'til we see'd their faces well.
Then we opened up with squirrel guns and really gave 'em ... well

[Chorus]

Yeah, they ran through the briars and they ran through the brambles
And they ran through the bushes where a rabbit couldn't go.
They ran so fast that the hounds couldn't catch 'em
Down the Mississippi to the Gulf of Mexico.**

We fired our cannon 'til the barrel melted down.
So we grabbed an alligator and we fought another round.
We filled his head with cannon balls, and powdered his behind
And when we touched the powder off, the gator lost his mind.

[Chorus]

Yeah, they ran through the briars and they ran through the brambles
And they ran through the bushes where a rabbit couldn't go.
They ran so fast that the hounds couldn't catch 'em
Down the Mississippi to the Gulf of Mexico.

Hope there weren't any errors, listeners.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 09:26 am
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 09:48 am
http://www.sights-and-culture.com/India-Agra/Agra-Taj-Mahal.jpg
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 10:07 am
Ps. I am sorry Letty for moving you down a place. I wish you to know that it was done with no malice aforethought, in fact no thought at all, until I saw the unfortunate consequences it wrought. I post this to return the equilibrium. Please accept my regrets and a mince pie which I will leave with reception at a2k towers >smile<
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 10:12 am
Good day to all and

Happy Birthday to:

http://www.britmovie.co.uk/actors/s/images/005a.jpghttp://www.smh.com.au/ffxImage/urlpicture_id_1017004763975_2002/03/25/denzelwin.jpg
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 10:24 am
Tryagain, welcome to WA2K. I'm not quite certain what you mean, my friend. If you moved me down a place, it has long been forgotten. Perhaps you can explain.

And there's our Raggedy with pictures pleasing. Thanks, PA.

Anyone remember what TV show Denzel first starred in?

For Maggie from Rod:

Rod Stewart - Maggie Mae
Wake up Maggie, I think I've got something to say to you
It's late September and I really should be back at school
I know I keep you amused
But I fell I'm being used
Oh Maggie, I couldn't have tried any more
You led me away from home
Just to save you from being alone
You stole my heart and that's what really hurts
The morning sun when it's in your eyes really shows your age
But that don't worry me none, in my eyes you're everything