WA2K Radio is now on the air

bobsmythhawk

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 09:49 am
Jean Racine
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Jean Racine (December 22, 1639 - April 21, 1699) was a French dramatist, one of the "big three" of 17th century France (along with Molière and Corneille). Racine was primarily a tragedian, though he did write one comedy.

Born in La Ferté-Milon (Aisne), Racine was orphaned in his youth and was given a classical education courtesy of his grandmother. He was a graduate of Port-Royal, a religious institution which would greatly influence other contemporary figures including Blaise Pascal. He was expected to study theology, but preferred to devote himself to the theatre, and moved to Paris. His first tragedy, La Thébaide (1664) and its successor, Alexandre (1665), both had classical themes, but he was already entering into controversy, taking offence at the accusation that he was polluting the minds of his audiences. He broke all ties with Port-Royal, and proceeded with Andromaque (1667), which told the story of Andromache, widow of Hector, and her fate following the Trojan War. He was by now acquiring many rivals, including Pierre Corneille and his brother, Thomas Corneille. Tragedians often competed with alternative versions of the same plot: for example, Michel le Clerc produced an Iphigénie in the same year as Racine (1674), and Jacques Pradon's Phèdre (1677). The success of Pradon's work (the result of the activities of a claque) was one of the events which caused Racine to renounce his work as a dramatist at that time.

However, the major incident which seems to have contributed to Racine's departure from public life was his implication in a court scandal of 1679. He got married at about this time, and his religious beliefs and devotion to the Jansenist sect were revived. When at last he returned to the theatre, it was at the request of Madame de Maintenon, mistress of King Louis XIV, with the moral fables, Esther (1689) and Athalie (1691), both of which were based on Old Testament stories and intended for performance by the pupils of the school of Saint-Cyr.

Racine's work faced many criticisms from his contemporaries. One was the lack of historic veracity in plays such as Britannicus (1668) and Mithridate (1673), which, to those familiar with the plays of Shakespeare, might seem irrelevant. Racine was quick to point out that his greatest critics - his rival dramatists - were among the biggest offenders in this respect. Another major criticism levelled at him was the lack of incident in his tragedy, Bérénice (1670). Racine's response was that the greatest tragedy does not necessarily consist in bloodshed and death.

The quality of Racine's poetry is perhaps his greatest contribution to French literature. His use of the alexandrine is classic in its harmony, simplicity and elegance.

Jean Racine died in 1699 and is buried in the St. Etienne-du-Mont cemetery in Paris, France.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Racine
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 09:51 am
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 09:54 am
Ruth Roman

Ruth Roman (born December 22, 1922 - died September 9, 1999) was an American actress.

She was born Norma Roman in the Boston suburb of Lynn, Massachusetts and as a young girl pursued her desire to become an actress by enrolling in the prestigious Bishop Lee Dramatic School in Boston. Following completion of her studies Roman headed to Hollywood where she obtained bit parts in several films before being cast in the title role in the 1945 thirteen episode serial Jungle Queen. In the early 1950s, The Jungle Queen became one of the television serials that brought Roman a whole new audience of baby boomers. In 1949 she had a secondary but important role in the acclaimed 1949 film, Champion. In one of her more recognizeable roles, Roman appeared in the 1951 Alfred Hitchcock thriller, Strangers on a Train.

Married three times, she had one son with her first husband, Mortimer Hall. In the 1950 film Three Secrets, she played a distraught mother waiting to learn whether or not her child survived a plane crash. Ironically, in July of 1956, Roman and her four-year-old son were passengers on board the SS Andrea Doria ocean liner who were separated from each other when the ship collided with another and sank. Rescued, Roman had to wait to learn her son's fate which resulted in a media frenzy for photos as she waited at the pier in New York City for her son's safe arrival aboard one of the rescue ships.

A stage actress, in 1959 she won the Sarah Siddons Award for her work in Chicago theatre. Although she never achieved the level of stardom in film that many had originally predicted for her, Ruth Roman nevertheless worked regularly in film well into the 1960s after which she began making appearances on televsion shows and movies including a recurring role in 1965-66 in The Long, Hot Summer and for the 1986 season of Knots Landing. It was for her many quality performances on television for which she was honored with a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame at 6672 Hollywood Blvd.

She died in Laguna Beach, California in 1999.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruth_Roman
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 10:04 am
Maurice Gibb

Maurice Ernest Gibb CBE (December 22, 1949 - January 12, 2003) was a musician and a member of the band the Bee Gees. He was born in Douglas, Isle of Man. The twin of Robin Gibb, Maurice was the younger by 35 minutes.

His family moved to Brisbane, Australia, where in 1958, he and brothers Robin and Barry, formed the Bee Gees, who would become one of the most successful musical groups of the 1970s and 1980s. In a career spanning five decades the group sold over 110 million records.

Maurice Gibb played bass, guitar, and keyboard for the group, and was generally known as "the quiet one", although in his private life he had suffered from alcoholism. He was in fact the only one of the three who had not been in trouble with the police before the family emigrated.

He was famously married to the British pop star Lulu from 1969 to 1974, but they had no children, and the pressure of their respective commitments led to their divorce. During this period, Maurice made a brief attempt to break into acting, playing a role in a short-lived West End musical, "Sing A Rude Song". While the musical didn't earn rave reviews, Maurice's performance was said to be one of its bright spots.

In 1994, Maurice Gibb was inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame, and in 1997 was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Maurice's reputation as a mild-mannered stabilising influence continued into later life. When the Bee Gees walked out of their interview with British chat show host Clive Anderson, Maurice was last to leave, with the words, "I don't do impersonations of my brothers".

Maurice Gibb died at a Miami, Florida hospital on January 12, 2003, of complications following a cardiac arrest and subsequent surgery for a twisted intestine. He was only 53 years old. Together with his wife Yvonne he had two children, Adam and Samantha.

He played a lot of paintball and had a team which he called the Royal Rat Rangers, a reference to his being named a Commander of the British Empire (CBE) by Queen Elizabeth II, and to his time at the Little River AA group, where the members referred to each other as 'river rats'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maurice_Gibb

Robin Gibb

Robin Hugh Gibb CBE was born December 22, 1949, in Douglas, Isle of Man, the twin of Maurice Gibb (1949-2003). He became one-third of the singing/songwriting trio that forms the backbone of the musical group, the Bee Gees.

Traditionally, Robin's role in the group has been one of singer, for which he vied constantly with his elder brother Barry Gibb during the group's first period of British success in the late 1960s. This eventually resulted in Robin leaving the group to begin a solo career. Meanwhile, there were rumours of drug problems, and his parents threatened to have him made a ward of court (the age of consent at that time being 21, and Robin only 19).

Although initially successful, with a number 2 hit, Saved by the Bell, his album, "Robin's Reign", was less successful, and he found that being a solo artist was less than satisfying. He returned to the group and mended the breach with his family. During the 1980s, he released three further solo albums ("How Old Are You", "Secret Agent", and "Walls Have Eyes") which were more successful in Continental Europe than in the UK or USA. However, his 1984 single "Boys Do Fall in Love" did reach the Billboard top 40

Robin's first wife, Molly, was a secretary in Robert Stigwood's organisation when they met. They had two children, Spencer and Melissa, but they eventually divorced after years of living separate lives, with Robin almost permanently in the USA and Molly remaining in the UK. Robin's second wife, Dwina Murphy, is an artist, and they have a son, Robin John.

In 1994, Robin Gibb was inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame, and in 1997 the Bee Gees were inducted as a group into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Robin's latest solo album, Magnet, was released in Germany on January 27, 2003 (Label: SPV), and worldwide shortly afterwards. It features the old Bee Gees classic Wish You Were Here in a new acoustic version - on that track he is joined by his brothers Barry and Maurice.

In August 2003, Robin announced that he would be releasing a new single of Lover's Prayer, a song first recorded by the Bee Gees in 1997, with vocals by Robin, Wanya Morris, and Lance Bass. This was played on radio, but was never actually released. In October 2003 another version was recorded as a duet with Alistair Griffin, runner-up in the UK television program Fame Academy, on which Robin hsd appeared as a judge.

Lover's Prayer, credited as "Alistair Griffin feat. Robin Gibb", was eventually released in the UK in January 2004 as a double A side single, together with Griffin's solo recording of Bring It On. It reached number 5 in the UK charts. The duet was also on Griffin's debut album Bring It On which charted at number 12.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_Gibb

Wish You Were Here :: Bee Gees

Oooooooh
You re living your life
in somebody else s heart.
My love is as strong
as oceans are far apart.

A summer song
keeps playing in my brain,
and I feel you
and I see your face again.
There s no escape,
I lost everything
in losing you.

Ah I wish you were here,
drying these tears I cry.
They were good times
and I wish you were here
and calling my name,
but you re dealing with a man insane, the cost,
how hopelessly I m lost,
I tried to throw our love away
and I can t let go.

And so I awake
in somebody else s dream.
(It s not what it seems)
It s only a lie,
I ve yet to decide who s real.

The blood red rose will never never die,
it ll burn like a flame
in the dark of the night.
I m not afraid,
I d give everything
if you hear me there.

Ahh I wish you were here,
drying these tears I cry.
They were good times,
it s that time of year
for being alone
but you re dealing with a heart of stone,
try to kiss and say goodbye,
try to throw our love away
and that storm will blow.

Ooooh Wish you were here.
Ooooh Wish you were here.

Cause you re dealing with a heart of stone,
try to kiss and say goodbye,
try to throw our love away
and I can t let go.

They were good times
and I wish you were here,
yes, I wish you were here.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 10:28 am
Well, folks, there's our Boston Bob with his daily bio's. Thanks again, honey. We always learn something from every single one.

Quote for the day:

I loved you when you were unfaithful; what would I have done if you were true?

(Jean Racine (1639-1699), French playwright. Hermione, in Andromache, act 4, sc. 5 (1667).)

Loved the BeeGees song, Bob.

And from out of the past where forgotten things belong, a song:

My heart tells me this is just a fling
Yet you say our love means everything
Do you mean what you are saying?
Or is this a little game you're playing?
My heart tells me I will cry again
Lips that kiss like yours could lie again
If I'm fool enough to see this through
Will I be sorry if I do?
Should I believe my heart or you?

A song from my sister.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 10:41 am
sad news from the sports world:

Son of Colts' Coach Tony Dungy Found Dead 18 minutes ago

TAMPA, Fla. - James Dungy, the 18-year-old son of Indianapolis Colts coach Tony Dungy, was found dead in a Tampa-area apartment, police said Thursday.

No foul play is suspected, but a cause of death won't be announced pending an autopsy, said Vida Morgan, a secretary in the Hillsborough County sheriff's office.

James Dungy's girlfriend found him when she returned to the Campus Lodge Apartments in Lutz, Fla., the sheriff's office said in a news release on its Web site. Police responded at 1:32 a.m. Thursday and performed CPR on Dungy before he was taken to University Community Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Tony Dungy has left the Colts and is in Tampa, according to NFL.com. The Colts (13-1) are at Seattle on Saturday; Indianapolis lost its first game Sunday against the visiting San Diego Chargers, ending what had been a perfect season.

The coach and his wife, Lauren, have four other children: daughters Tiara and Jade and sons Eric and Jordan. James, their second-oldest child, was taking extension classes at the University of South Florida, Morgan said.

James Dungy spent his senior year at North Central High School in Indianapolis and graduated this year. C.E. Quandt, the school's principal, said Dungy was a personable student who never flaunted his father's position.

"He just came in and tried to blend in and be a student," Quandt said. "I liked James a lot."

Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 05:43 pm
Don't let that horse
eat that violin
cried Chagall's mother

But he
kept right on
painting

And became famous

And kept on painting
The Horse With Violin In Mouth
And when he finally finished it
he jumped up upon the horse
and rode away
waving the violin

And then with a low bow gave it
to the first naked nude he ran across

And there were no strings
attached

Lawrence Ferlinghetti
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 06:06 pm
Ah, yes, dys. We know Lawerence, dear:

"Cowboys" and "Hippies" are not as different as one might think. This article explores the connections between cowboys and hippies portrayed by 1960s and 1970s countercultural musicians, moviemakers, and novelists who stressed themes of the Myth of the West and the Cowboy Code. These portrayals of "Cosmic Cowboys" show that many scholars' generalizations about the "radical" and "leftist" nature of the 1960s "counterculture" break down under close inspection.

We're just a couple of free spirits driftin' across the land.
Chris LeDoux, "The Cowboy and the Hippie

The cowboy the hippie and the Indian:

Peaceful is the valley
where the Indian maiden walks.
In morning skies above her
a Raven soars and squawks.

The village of her people
lies quiet and serene
as her moccasins trudge narrow paths
through meadows lush and green.

She knows ancestral spirits
will protect her and will guide
as the trail leads her much higher
along the mountainside.

Gathering roots and berries
to preserve through winter's cold,
the maiden sings of ancient wars,
of young men brave and bold.

She rests by flowing waters
as sunlight streaks her hair,
with fingers dipping in the brook,
wild creatures gather there.

The fox, the deer, the Antelope
join her without sound,
fearing not the Indian girl
sitting soft upon the ground.

The mighty oak she leans against
is losing leaves but strong,
and she feels at one with nature
while summer is now gone.

And we all can hear it, here:

http://www.cowboyfun.com/dreamer/
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 07:09 pm
Belly Dancer, A Monologue at 33 1/3

Divorced, alone and living in an attic
My wheels a Norton Combat
It was an old house with a
Grand staircase guarding the front door.
My staircase was in the rear
Winding up the floors in dark.
I wound up the stairs in the dark
To find a belly dancer.
A blond Linda Carter with scarves
Tied around her chest and Levis
Low around her hips, bare feet.
She was standing, dancing, hands
over her head, rings and bells flashing.
I came into the kitchen, set the grocery bag down.
She was in front of the window,
the window with the elm tree in the middle.
She didn't seem to notice when I sat down in the chair.
She didn't seem to care.
She had a cassette playing the sound
of belly dance music while I slipped off my shoes.
I think she felt erotic, I slipped on my socks.
Her left eye opened slightly, I lit a cigarette.
She untied the scarves around her chest
Her breasts swayed with the rhythm
I turned on a light.
She had an expectation that didn't pan out,
I put on the tea water while she dressed
and left.
The Dys
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 07:23 pm
Listeners, our dys really wrote that.

That is so beautiful, cowboy. You brought to mind a poem of long ago:

The Ghost room in my ancestral home
Was just an ordinary place,
Nothing particularly odd or weird
Ever suddenly appeared,

No luminous light to cut the night,
Nor voice with low and spectral call,
It was not ominous at all.

And in that simple harmless room
There hung a portrait,
Senseless gloom.

The painting of a nameless face
That permeated all the race
Of those who had produced the place.

One could never look and see
The tombstones of an- ces- tery
That lay so close in symmetry.

It was the feel of all who slept
That made the senses feel inept
To fashion words of never met.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 07:44 pm
blatham wrote :
"Canada's top court says clubs with group sex, swapping are legal

OTTAWA (CP) - The Supreme Court rewrote the definition of indecency Wednesday and in the process legalized swingers clubs complete with orgies, partner swapping and voyeurs."

who says there is no santa claus ?

two toronto club owners were interviewed on radio this morning and they stated that that "canadians are finally ready to enter the 21st century ".

that's the spirit , i say !

i still remember that in the 50's and 60's parents were admonished if they let babies run on the beach without a bathing suit . coming from europe that was something we could not understand . we thought that was quite an innocent thing to do (and thought that canadians were all perverts if they were turned on seeing a naked baby). of coourse things have changed ; canadians have grown up and we now have nudist clubs and (oh my !) even beaches were people go without wearing a bathing suit . hbg
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 07:55 pm
Well, there's our hamburger. Just the man I wanted to see.(not naked on the beach, you understand) Razz

Someone needs your help:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1744607#1744607

We're also a first aid station, folks. <smile>
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 08:09 pm
I miss our dj. Does anyone know where he is?

For him and this will be a double for Letty's goodnight song. (it's supposed to get below freezing here tonight.)

Love is sleepwalkin'
Coppin' unworldly sights
Searchin' and stoppin'
Bangin' the world to rights
Can't let kilometres
Or colours defeat us try
For something so sweet
We'll never be beat
We'll conquer the seas
And sail the deep blue sky

I dream a dumb dream
The fires are blazin' bright
The faces of famine
Are fed in the flames
Sweet light
The guns are a burnin'
The bullets are silent shells
The hands are a turnin'
The times are a changin'
The lovers are learnin'
Ringing out the bells

Hold tight
All night
Always alright
We're on a wave

Goodnight.

From Letty with love
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 08:39 pm
letty : trying to help plainoldme , but that's a tough situation to be in .
***below freezing in daytona beach ??? it's going to be above freezing for the next several days here ! with about a foot of snow on the ground it's going to be a mess . hbg
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 08:53 pm
how about a good night song ? i have it on an old liberace lp-set :
me and my shadow
vocal with orchestra accompaniment with the london palladium orchestra under the direction of gordon robertson .
put a candelabra on the piano and you are all set .
(this one is with with frankie and sammy).
can you here liberace on the piano ? ok , let's enjoy it . hbg

Frank Sinatra - Me & My Shadow Lyrics
Writer(s): dave dreyer - al jolson - billy rose

(this is the duet with sammy davis, jr.)

Like the wallpaper sticks to the wall
Like the seashore clings to the sea
Like you?ll never get rid of your shadow
Frank, you?ll never get rid of me

Let all the others fight and fuss
Whatever happens, we?ve got us.

Me and my shadow
We?re closer than pages that stick in a book
We?re closer than ripples that play in a brook
Strolling down the avenue
Wherever you find him, you?ll find me, just look
Closer than a miser or the bloodhound?s ? ? ? ? ?

Me and my shadow
We?re closer than smog when it clings to l.a.
We?re closer than bobby is to j.f.k.
Not a soul can bust this team in two
We stick together like glue

And when it?s sleeping time
That?s when we rise
We start to swing
Swing to the skies
Our clocks don?t chime
What a surprise
They ring-a-ding-ding!
Happy new year!

Me and my shadow
And now to repeat what I said at the start
They?ll need a large crowbar to break us apart
We?re alone but far from blue

Before we get finished, we?ll make the town roar
We?ll make all the late spots, and then a few more
We?ll wind up at jilly?s right after toot?s shore
Life is gonna be we-wow-whee!
(here comes the party!)
For my shadow and me!

Say frank?
What is it, sam?
Do me a favor?
What do you want, now?
Would you mind taking it, just one more time?
From the top?
No! from the ending!
Wonderful!

And while we are swinging, to mention a few
We?ll drop in at danny?s, the little club too
But wind up at jilly?s, whatever we do
Life is gonna be we-wow-whee!
(wow!)
For my shadow and me!

Frank?
Oh, forget it sam.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 07:51 am
Good morning, WA2K radio audience.

hamburger, Frank and Sam were buddies for a time, but unfortunately not through thick and thin. Thanks for the song, and you were very kind to advise POM. It hurts me to think that anyone is in her situation, and for some reason, it seems more tragic at this time of year.

I am amazed, folks, at what a furor has arisen over the use of "Happy Holidays" as opposed to "Merry Christmas." Rather foolish, no?

Well, I think I will wake up with a cup of coffee and will be back later with a new song for the morning/afternoon.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 09:38 am
and, from A Perfect Circle, here is our song for the day, listeners:

Imagine
there's no heaven,
It's easy if you try,
No hell below us,
Above us only sky,
Imagine all the people
living for today...a-ha

Imagine there's no countries,
It isnt hard to do,
Nothing to kill or die for,
No religion too,
Imagine all the people
living life in peace...yu-huh

You may say Im a dreamer,
but Im not the only one,
I hope some day you'll join us,
And the world will be as one.

Imagine no possessions,
I wonder if you can,
No need for greed or hunger,
A brotherhood of man,
imagine all the people
Sharing all the world...yu-huh

You may say Im a dreamer,
but Im not the only one,
I hope some day you'll join us,
And the world will live as one
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 09:38 am
José Greco

José Greco (December 23, 1918 - January 3, 2001) was a flamenco dancer and choreographer.

He was born in Montorio nei Frentani, Italy of Spanish and Italian parents. The family moved to Seville when he was three, and he was raised in New York City from the time he was 10 years old. He bagan dancing in Brooklyn with his sister Norina at a young age.

His made his professional dancing debut in 1937 at the Hippodrome Theater in Manhattan. His most famous partners were Argentine-born La Argentinita (Encarnación Lopez) and, after her death, her sister Pilar Lopez. In 1951, he started the José Greco Dance Company, with which he toured extensively.

He also appeared in a number of films, including Sombrero (1953), Around the World in 80 Days (1956), Holiday for Lovers (1959), Ship of Fools (1965), and The Proud and the Damned (1972).

He retired from dancing in 1974 and started the Foundation for Hispanic Dance. He published an autobiography, Gypsy in My Soul: The Autobiography of José Greco, in 1977). He had four children, one boy and three girls. His son and two of his daughters became professional dancers.

He died of heart failure in Lancaster, Pennsylvania.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jos%C3%A9_Greco
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 09:42 am
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 10:13 am
Well, There's our Bio man with provocative background information. Thanks once again for keeping us in touch with the famous of today and yesterday.

I don't know about you, listeners, but I always learn something new from the hawkman's biographies. Today, when I went to the archives looking for Jose Greco, I came across this tidbit of etymology:

the shout of Ole!, which is common among flamenco dancers, is of pure Arab origin. E. Sordo in his book Moorish Spain understood this connection when he wrote: "...The ole of the cante jondo is still the wa Allah (Oh God) with which the Arabs cheered every poetic recitation."

Visitors to Spain who enjoy the pleasures of the traditional flamenco, the pinnacle of Spanish folkloric art but now largely a tourist oriented folk extravaganza, as they mimic the Spaniards shouting olé, usually have no idea that it is saturated with many vestiges from Spain's Moorish past.

We are all a part of our past, no?
0 Replies