WA2K Radio is now on the air

Letty

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 06:50 am
Walter got sandwiched, as well, folks. A sandwich of the cheese kind. <smile>

Bob, must be finished reading his informative background, so here is my suggestion for his Christmas karaoke:

Artist: Sarah McLachlan Lyrics
Song: Put a Little Love in Your Heart Lyrics

Think of your fellow man
lend him a helping hand
put a little love in your heart

You see, it's getting late
oh please don't hesitate

And the world will be a better place
and the world will be a better place
for you and me, you just wait and see

Another day goes by
still the children cry

If you want the world to know
we won't let hate grow

And the world will be a better place...

Take a good look around
and if you're looking down

I hope when you decide
kindness will be your guide

And the world will be a better place...

Put a little love in your heart each and every day..
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 06:51 am
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 06:53 am
Donny Osmond
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Donald Clark "Donny" Osmond (born December 9, 1957 in Ogden, Utah) is an American entertainment personality. He is a singer, ex-teen idol and has worked as a talk show and game show host, actor and record producer. His family nicknamed him "Corky," as a boy, because he was a show-stopper.

Born to parents Olive and George Osmond, Donny is best known for being half of the brother-sister singing act Donny & Marie. He is the brother of Alan, Jay, Jimmy, Merrill, Wayne, Marie, Tom, and Virl Osmond. The two oldest children, Tom and Virl, were hearing-impaired; Alan, Jay, Merrill, Wayne, and Donny were members of the popular singing group The Osmond Brothers. Donny became a teen idol in the early 1970s when he broke away from his older brothers to become a solo act.

In the mid '70s, Donny was paired up with his younger sister, Marie. The duo recorded several albums together before and while starring in their own television variety series, Donny & Marie which aired on ABC from 1976-1979. He married Debra Glenn in 1978.

When Donny and Marie ended, Donny tried to reinvent himself as a solo artist. Donny spent several years as a performer before returning to the U.S. charts with the song "Soldier of Love" and its followup "Sacred Emotion." Within the past few years, he has released a Christmas album, an album of his favorite Broadway songs, and a compilation of popular love songs; his voice can also be heard in the Disney animated film Mulan, in which he sings "I'll Make A Man Out of You."

Donny also found success on the musical theater stage when he starred in Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. During this period, he suffered from Social Anxiety Disorder. He was the cohost of a talk show with Marie in 1998 also called Donny and Marie. The show ran for two seasons, and marked the first time the brother and sister had been together professionally in twenty years. Donny went on to host Pyramid, a syndicated television game show, which ran from 2002 until cancellation in 2004.

Donny, like the rest of his family, is a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. He received some criticism from members for not serving a mission like his religion encourages, but most of the furor over this lack of service has died down. In retrospect, he states, "It would have been nice to be able to have served a regular full time mission, but when I was of that age, my career was such that everyone, including my parents and the leaders of the church, thought that I could do a lot of good in the world by continuing being in the public eye, by living an exemplary life and sharing my beliefs in every way that I could" (www.donny.com).

In 2004, Donny Osmond returned to the UK Top 10 for the first time as a solo artist since 1973, with the George Benson-sampling "Breeze On By," co-written with fellow former teen idol Gary Barlow, of 1990s UK boy band Take That.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donny_Osmond
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 07:25 am
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 07:35 am
Good Morning. It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas here. A Winter Wonderland I'd gladly do without.

Good bio choices, Bob. Since I posted most of today's birthdays last year, I'll just toss in a few pictures for good measure.

Happy Birthday to:

http://www.meredy.com/kirk.jpg
[/IMG]http://www.scripting.com/images/kirkDouglasAt84.jpg

http://www.lepra.org.uk/Images/Judi_Dench.jpghttp://www.allstarz.org/~malkovich/images2/malk94.jpg
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 07:44 am
Ah, Raggedy, we always love to see your pictures on our bulletin board, PA. Thanks, dear. It seems that Michael picked up where Kirk left off.

A salute to Milton:

When I consider how my light is spent,
Ere half my days, in this dark world and wide,
And that one talent which is death to hide
Lodged with me useless, though my soul more bent
To serve therewith my Maker, and present
My true account, lest He returning chide,
"Doth God exact day-labour, light denied?"
I fondly ask; But patience, to prevent
That murmur, soon replies "God doth not need
Either man's work or his own gifts. Who best
Bear His mild yoke, they serve Him best. His state
Is kingly: thousands at His bidding speed
And post o'er land and ocean without rest;
They also serve who only stand and wait."
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 07:54 am
Letty wrote:
Yit, I know that song, but I am at a loss to know the thread to which you refer, Mr. Turtle.

since you asked, they're "duking it out" in Religion/Spirituality. Smile
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 08:03 am
UhOh, listeners. Mr. Turtle wasn't that slow to respond. Thanks, yit, but isn't that always the way? I think I'll stay here in our studio where it's warm and cozy and the heat is of the right kind. <smile>

Ok, listeners, here's on of my favorite Christmas songs:

The Christmas Song
(Torme-Wells)

Chestnuts roasting on an open fire
Jack Frost nipping at your nose
Yuletide carols being sung by a choir
And folks dressed up like eskimos

Everybody knows some tofu and some mistletoe
Help to make the season bright
Tiny tots with their eyes all aglow
Will find it hard to sleep tonight

They know that Santa's on his way
He's loaded lots of toys
And goodies on his sleigh
And every mother's child is gonna spy
To see if reindeer really know how to fly

And so, I'm offering this simple phrase
To kids from one to ninety-two
Although its been said
Many times, many ways
Merry Christmas! Merry Christmas! Merry Christmas to.. You!

Tofu? I don't think so.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 09:44 am
Well, folks, in looking through our vast audience, I have seen some odd stuff, so I chose this quote for today:

Passion makes the world go round. Love just makes it a safer place.
Ice T, The Ice Opinion
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 10:05 am
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 10:35 am
Well, my goodness, dys. That's a jolly piece about John Birch, and gives me an opportunity to remind our listeners that communism is an economic system and not a form of government.

In Jamestown, the "common kettle" approach was used, an early form of communism, where each person in the colony was expected to contribute. The problem was that not everyone did his share.

Later, when Sir Walter Raleigh found that tobacco was a wonderful cash crop, the system turned into a capitalistic form of government.

It's raining here, folks, and it reminds me of a story with a pun:

In early Russia, it was snowing very hard and the head of state at the time whose name shall be Rudolph, told two peasants to get to work that it wasn't snow, only rain. The lady peasant had the audacity to question Rudolph and in fear of his life, her husband observed:

"Rudolph the red knows rain, dear." <groan>
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 11:28 am
World News:

Corruption on increase worldwide
Fri Dec 9, 2005 12:41 AM GMT
Printer Friendly | Email Article | RSS

By Andrew Grey

LONDON (Reuters) - Corruption is on the increase in most countries and poor people are often the hardest hit, according to a global survey released on Friday.

The poll, published on United Nations Anti-Corruption Day, found a majority of people in 48 out of 69 countries surveyed thought the problem had got worse over the past three years.

"Today's survey shows that people believe corruption is deeply embedded in their countries," said Huguette Labelle, chairwoman of anti-graft group Transparency International, which commissioned the Global Corruption Barometer research.

"When a poor young mother believes that her government places its own interests above her child's, or that securing services like that child's basic health requires a hand under the table, her hope for the future is dampened."

Overall, people rated political parties as the most corrupt institutions. But customs officials were seen as the most corrupt in many Central and Eastern European states while the police and legal systems often came top of the poll in Africa.

The survey also showed paying bribes was not confined to specific regions but was particularly prevalent in Central and Eastern Europe, Africa and Latin America.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 12:50 pm
I'm sure it's never going to happen here in America. The average government employee is not corrupt, only inept. To wit:

Bureaucracy at it's best

This is an actual letter sent to a man named Ryan DeVries by the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Quality, Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

This guy's response is hilarious, but read the State's letter before you get to the response letter.

==========================================

SUBJECT: DEQ File No.97-59-0023; T11N; R10W, Sec. 20; Lycoming County Dear Mr. DeVries:

It has come to the attention of the Department of Environmental Quality that there has been recent unauthorized activity on the above referenced parcel of property. You have been certified as the legal landowner and/or contractor who did the following unauthorized activity:

Construction and maintenance of two wood debris dams across the outlet stream of Spring Pond.

A permit must be issued prior to the start of this type of activity.

A review of the Department's files shows that no permits have been issued. Therefore, the Department has determined that this activity is in violation of Part 301, Inland Lakes and Streams, of the Natural Resource and Environmental Protection Act, Act 451 of the Public Acts of 1994, being sections 324.30101 to 324.30113 of the Pennsylvania Compiled Laws, annotated.

The Department has been informed that one or both of the dams partially failed during a recent rain event, causing debris and flooding at downstream locations. We find that dams of this nature are inherently hazardous and cannot be permitted. The Department therefore orders you to cease and desist all activities at this location, and to restore the stream to a free-flow condition by removing all wood and brush forming the dams from the stream channel. All restoration work shall be completed no later than January 31, 2006.

Please notify this office when the restoration has been completed so that a follow-up site inspection may be scheduled by our staff.

Failure to comply with this request or any further unauthorized activity on the site may result in this case being referred for elevated enforcement action.

We anticipate and would appreciate your full cooperation in this matter. Please feel free to contact me at this office if you have any questions.

Sincerely,

David L. Price

District Representative

Water Management Division.
************************************************ Here is the actual response sent back by Mr. DeVries:

Re: DEQ File No. 97-59-0023; T11N; R10W, Sec. 20; Lycoming County.

Dear Mr. Price,

Your certified letter dated 12/17/02 has been handed to me to respond to. I am the legal landowner but not the Contractor at 2088 Dagget Lane, Trout Run, Pennsylvania.

A couple of beavers are in the (State unauthorized) process of constructing and maintaining two wood "debris" dams across the outlet stream of my Spring Pond. While I did not pay for, authorize, nor supervise their dam project, I think they would be highly offended that you call their skillful use of natures building materials "debris."

I would like to challenge your department to attempt to emulate their dam project any time and/or any place you choose. I believe I can safely state there is no way you could ever match their dam skills, their dam resourcefulness, their dam ingenuity, their dam persistence, their dam determination and/or their dam work ethic.

As to your request, I do not think the beavers are aware that they must first fill out a dam permit prior to the start of this type of dam activity.

My first dam question to you is:

(1) Are you trying to discriminate against my Spring Pond Beavers, or
(2) do you require all beavers throughout this State to conform to said dam request?

If you are not discriminating against these particular beavers, through the Freedom of Information Act, I request completed copies of all those other applicable beaver dam permits that have been issued. Perhaps we will see if there really is a dam violation of Part 301, Inland Lakes and Streams, of the Natural Resource and Environmental Protection Act, Act 451 of the Public Acts of 1994, being sections 324.30101 to 324.30113 of the Pennsylvania Compiled Laws, annotated.

I have several concerns:

My first concern is; aren't the beavers entitled to legal representation? The Spring Pond Beavers are financially destitute and are unable to pay for said representation -- so the State will have to provide them with a dam lawyer.

The Department's dam concern that either one or both of the dams failed during a recent rain event, causing flooding, is proof that this is a natural occurrence, which the Department is required to protect. In other words, we should leave the Spring Pond Beavers alone rather than harassing them and calling their dam names.

If you want the stream "restored" to a dam free-flow condition please contact the beavers -- but if you are going to arrest them, they obviously did not pay any attention to your dam letter, they being unable to read English.

In my humble opinion, the Spring Pond Beavers have a right to build their unauthorized dams as long as the sky is blue, the grass is green and water flows downstream. They have more dam rights than I do to live and enjoy Spring Pond.

If the Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Protection lives up to its name, it should protect the natural resources (Beavers) and the environment (Beavers' Dams).

So, as far as the beavers and I are concerned, this dam case can be referred for more elevated enforcement action right now. Why wait until 1/31/2006? The Spring Pond Beavers may be under the dam ice then and there will be no way for you or your dam staff to contact/harass them then.

In conclusion, I would like to bring to your attention to a real environmental quality (health) problem in the area. It is the bears. They are actually defecating in our woods. I definitely believe you should be persecuting the defecating bears and leave the beavers alone. If you are going to investigate the beaver dam, watch your step! (The bears are not careful where they dump!)

Being unable to comply with your dam request, and being unable to contact you on your dam answering machine, I am sending this response to your dam office.

THANK YOU.

RYAN DEVRIES & THE DAM BEAVERS
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 01:26 pm
Bob, that is fabulous, right listeners? As I once told the manager of the radiator shop in Daytona Beach after his employee had totally botched the job:

I do believe that I would rather have a crook that is smart in my employee, than someone who is honest and inept.

For Bob's Beavers:

Artist: Beaver Brown Band
Song: Open Road

OPEN ROAD

As I ride this lonesome highway
The desert wind across my face
My mind slowly wanders
To another time.another place

When the world was so much younger
With no reason to hold back
And we weren't so afraid of losing
All the things we'd never had

Those days are gone forever
Time to kiss the past goodbye
Meet me out tonight
On the open road

Baby we belong together
If I had you by my side
Meet my out tonight
On the open road

Your had a dream you once believed in
That burned inside you like a fire
And that big wheel kept on turning
Somehow that dream it passed you by

Now that fire just keeps on burning
Leaves only hunger and desire
Gotta find yourself a new dream
And leave the rest behind
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 03:04 pm
That is hilarious, bobsmyth!

Letty, given the choice of a smart crook or an inept honest person for an employee, I think I'd just do the job myself. (Or run the ad for another week!) Smile
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 03:14 pm
Yes, Bob, as someone here says, that's high larious!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 04:05 pm
Eva, if I could have replaced the radiator in my "then" car, I most certainly would have, honey. It was during hurricane Frances that the thing overheated and died.

Francis, what is high larious, is that I still have that Dodge Monaco with the body built in Canada, and the engine in France. Great car, incidentally.

How about a riding song:

Sleigh Ride Lyrics (Diana Krall)

Just hear those sleigh bells jingle-ing
Ring ting tingle-ing too
Come on, it's lovely weather
For a sleigh ride together with you

Outside the snow is falling
And friends are calling "You Hoo"

Giddy-yap giddy-yap giddy-yap
let's go
Let's look at the snow
We're riding in a wonderland of snow

Giddy-yap giddy-yap giddy-yap it's grand
Just holding your hand
We're gliding along with the song
Of a wintry fairy land

Our cheeks are nice and rosy
And comfy cozy are we
We're snuggled up together like two
Birds of a feather would be

Let's take the road before us
And sing a chorus or two
Come on, come on, it's lovely weather

Giddy-yap giddy-yap giddy-yap
let's go
Let's look at the snow
We're riding in a wonderland of snow

Giddy-yap giddy-yap giddy-yap it's grand
Just holding your hand
We're gliding along with the song
Of a wintry fairy land

Our cheeks are nice and rosy
And comfy cozy are we
We're snuggled up together like two
Birds of a feather would be

Let's take the road before us
And sing a chorus or two
Sleigh ride together with you
Sleigh ride together with you
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 04:26 pm
Given the choice of being stuck in a hurricane with a bad radiator or being stuck in the middle of a snowstorm in an open sleigh, I'm not sure which I'd choose.

Brrrrr...I hate this cold.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 05:23 pm
Eva, I've been in both situations. Sleigh riding down a hill in Virginia on icy roads ain't no fun, right you snowbound folks?

Well, listeners, ain't no place totally safe. We've heard of earth angels and now we have a song for snow angels.

Elliott Smith - Angel In The Snow Lyrics
i'd say you make a perfect
angel in the snow
all crushed out on the way you are
better stop before it goes too far
don't you know that i love you
sometimes i feel like only a cold still life
that fell down here to lay beside you

don't you know that i love you
sometimes i feel like only a cold still life
only a frozen still life
that fell down here to lay beside you