WA2K Radio is now on the air

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 04:12 am
Louis Prima
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia that anyone can edit.

Louis Prima (December 7, 1910- August 24, 1978) was an Italian-American entertainer, singer, actor, and trumpeter born in New Orleans.

History

Prima rode the musical trends of his time, starting with his seven-piece New Orleans style jazz band in the 1920s, then successively leading a Swing combo in the 1930s, a Big Band in the 1940s, a hot Vegas lounge act in the 1950s, and a pop-Rock go-go band in the 1960s, in all cases projecting his exuberant personality.

Prima was born into a musical family of Sicilian descent in New Orleans. He studied violin for several years as a child. His older brother Leon Prima was a well regarded local bandleader. Prima was proud of his heritage, and made a point of letting the audience know at every performance that he was Italian-American and from New Orleans. His singing and playing showed that he absorbed many of the same influences as his fellow Crescent City musician, Louis Armstrong, particularly in his hoarse voice and scat singing.

In his youth in New Orleans Prima played trumpet with Irving Fazola, his brother's band, and the pit band of the Saenger Theater before forming his own group, Louis Prima's New Orleans Gang. He moved to New York in 1934, working regularly on 52nd Street. His 1936 composition "Sing, Sing Sing" became one of the biggest hits and most covered standards of the swing era, famously being performed in Carnegie Hall by Benny Goodman with a featured performance by Gene Krupa on drums.

He moved to Los Angeles to headline at the Famous Door nightclub. He appeared in several Hollywood movies, including a featured performance with Bing Crosby in the 1936 film Rhythm on the Range. In the late 1940s he added young singer Keely Smith (who was to become Prima's 4th wife) and saxophonist/arranger Sam Butera to lead his band, called Sam Butera and the Witnesses.

The act, Louis Prima and Keely Smith, was very much the model for Sonny and Cher, the exuberant Italian musician and the serious exotic female singer. (Smith was of Cherokee descent; Cher was Armenian.) Prima, Smith, and Butera put on a live show that rocked as hard as anyone's.

In 1967, Prima made a memorable contribution to the Walt Disney film The Jungle Book, as the voice of the raucous orangutan King Louie. "I Wanna Be Like You" was a hit song from the movie that led to the recording of two albums with Phil Harris: The Jungle Book and More Jungle Book, on Disneyland Records. He can also be heard on the soundtrack to The Man Called Flintstone.

Prima performed shows in Las Vegas throughout the 1950s and '60s, before returning to New Orleans in the early 1970s. In 1975 he went into a coma following surgery to remove a brain tumor. He never recovered, and died three years later. He was buried in Metairie Cemetery in New Orleans; his gray marble crypt is topped by a figure of Gabriel, the trumpeter-angel.

The Prima-Butera arrangements and recordings continued to be copied by younger musicians, including David Lee Roth, who covered his medley of "Just a Gigolo"/"I Ain't Got Nobody" in the 1980s, and Brian Setzer, Big Bad Voodoo Daddy and other nouveau swing bands of the 1990s, covering such Prima standards as "Jump and Jive and Wail". And Butera and the Witnesses also continue to tour.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Prima
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 04:14 am
Eli Wallach

Eli 'Fisticufs' Wallach (born December 7, 1915 in Brooklyn, New York to a Jewish family) is an American film, TV and stage actor.

He graduated from the University of Texas at Austin but gained his first (method) acting experience at the Neighborhood Playhouse. He made his Broadway debut in 1945 and won a Tony Award in 1951. His film debut was instantly accomplished in Elia Kazan's controversial Baby Doll and he went on to become a prolific player, although rarely in a starring role he was memorable in many of his early films, especially The Misfits, The Magnificent Seven and as Tuco (the 'Ugly') in Sergio Leone's The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. He also continued to work on the stage as well as doing made-for-TV films.

Trivia

* Although his The Magnificent Seven character (Calvera) and the rest of his bandits are eventually defeated in that film, he has ironically outlived all of the seven stars, except for Robert Vaughn who is still alive as of 2005, despite being older than all of them besides Yul Brynner.

* He has been married to acclaimed stage actress Anne Jackson (b. 1926) since March 5, 1948, and they have three children, Peter, Katherine and Roberta.

* In 2005, Wallach released his autobiography "The Good, The Bad And Me: In My Anecdotage". In this tome, Wallach talked about his most famous role as Tuco in The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. He mentioned that he didn't realize he was going to be "blessed" with that title until he saw the film. He mentioned it was an honor to work with Clint Eastwood, whom he praised for his professionalism. Wallach mentioned, however, that director Sergio Leone was notoriously careless in ensuring the safety of his actors during dangerous scenes. It was during filming that Wallach almost died when he accidentally drank from a bottle of acid that a film technician had carelessly placed next to his soda bottle. Wallach said that Eastwood sprang to his aid and washed his mouth out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eli_Wallach
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 04:16 am
Ellen Burstyn

Ellen Burstyn (born December 7, 1932 as Edna Rae Gillooly in Detroit, Michigan) is an Oscar-winning Irish-American actress.

She debuted on Broadway in 1957 and in 1975 won a Tony Award for Best Actress in a Play for her performance in "Same Time, Next Year." In 1990 she won the Sarah Siddons Award for her work in Chicago theatre.

Burstyn received her first Academy Award nomination for Best Supporting Actress in 1972 for the film The Last Picture Show. She subsequently won the Academy Award for Best Actress in 1974 for her performance in the movie Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore and was nominated for Best Actress in 1973 for the horror movie The Exorcist, in 1978 for Same Time, Next Year, and in 1980 for Resurrection. She also received an Oscar nomination for her role as Sara Goldfarb in Requiem for a Dream in 2000, a performance that is generally considered to be the finest of her career and one of the best of the decade. From 2000 to 2002 she appeared the CBS television drama That's Life.

Ellen Burstyn served as president of the Actors' Equity Association between 1982 and 1985.

In 1997, she was inducted into the Michigan Women's Hall of Fame.

In 2000 she was, along with Al Pacino and Harvey Keitel, named co-president of The Actor's Studio. In 2004 it was confirmed that she is to play a key role in the upcoming The Fountain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellen_Burstyn
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 04:19 am
Harry Chapin

Harry Chapin (December 7, 1942 - July 16, 1981) was an American singer and songwriter. He originally intended to be a documentary film-maker, and directed Legendary Champions in 1968, which was nominated for a documentary Academy Award. In 1971, he decided to focus on music. With John Wallace, Tim Scott and Ron Palmer, Chapin started playing in various local nightclubs in New York City.

Chapin's debut album was Heads and Tales (1972), which was a success thanks to the single "Taxi." His follow-up album, Sniper and Other Love Songs, was less successful, but his third, Short Stories, was a major success. Verities & Balderdash, released soon after, was even more successful, bolstered by the chart-topping hit single "Cat's in the Cradle." He also wrote and performed a Broadway musical, The Night That Made America Famous.

In the mid 1970s, Chapin focused on his social activism, including raising money to combat hunger in the United States and co-founding the organization World Hunger Year, before returning to music with On the Road to Kingdom Come. He also released a book of poetry, Looking...Seeing, in 1977.

Harry Chapin died on July 16, 1981 from cardiac arrest during a car accident on the Long Island Expressway at the age of 38. He was headed to perform a concert in Eisenhower Park in Nassau County the day of his death. He was interred in the Huntington Rural Cemetery, Huntington, New York. His epitaph is taken from his song "I Wonder What Would Happen to this World." It is :

Oh if a man tried
To take his time on Earth
And prove before he died
What one man's life could be worth
I wonder what would happen
to this world

Chapin was posthumously awarded the Congressional Gold Medal of Honor in 1987 for his campaigning on social issues, particularly his highlighting of hunger around the world and in the United States. His work on hunger included being widely recognized as a key player in the creation of the Presidential Commission on World Hunger in 1977.

His brothers Tom Chapin and Steve Chapin are also musicians, as is his daughter, Jen Chapin.

A biography of Chapin titled Taxi: The Harry Chapin Story, by Peter M. Coan, was released following his death. Although Chapin had co-operated with the writer, following his death the family withdrew their support. There is some debate about the accuracy of the details included in the book.

"Cat's in the Cradle" was re-recorded by Ugly Kid Joe in 1992 and once again topped the charts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Chapin

Cat's in the Cradle :: Harry Chapin

A child arrived just the other day;
He came to the world in the usual way.
But there were planes to catch, and bills to pay.
He learned to walk while I was away,
And he was talking before I knew and as he grew
he said, I'm gonna be like you, dad.
You know I'm gonna be like you.

And the cat's in the cradle
And the silver spoon
Little boy blue
And the man in the moon.
When you coming home, dad?
I don't know when,
But we'll get together then son
You know we'll have a good time then.

Well my son turned ten just the other day.
He said thanks for the ball, dad, come on let's play.
Can you teach me to throw?
I said, not today I got a lot to do.
He said, that's ok.
And then he walked away but his smile never dimmed
And he said, I'm gonna be like him, yeah.
You know I'm gonna be like him.

And the cat's in the cradle
And the silver spoon,
Little boy blue
And the man in the moon.
When you coming home, dad?
I don't know when son
But we'll get together then.

Well, he came from college just the other day,
So much like a man I just had to say,
Son, I'm proud of you. Can you sit for a while
He shook his head, and he said with a smile,
What I'd really like, dad, is to borrow the car keys.
See you later. Can I have them please

And the cat's in the cradle and the silver spoon,
Little boy blue and the man in the moon.
When you coming home, son?
I don't know when,
But we'll get together then, dad.

Well I've long since retired my son's moved away.
I called him up just the other day.
I said, I'd like to see you if you don't mind.
He said, I'd love to, dad, if I could find the time.
You see my new job's a hassle, and the kid's got the flu,
But it's sure nice talking to you, dad.
It's been sure nice talking to you.
And as I hung up the phone, it occurred to me,
He'd grown up just like me.
My boy was just like me.

And the cat's in the cradle and the silver spoon,
Little boy blue and the man in the moon.
When you coming home, son
I don't know when,
But we'll get together then, dad.

When you comin home son,
I don't know when
But will get together then, dad
Were gonna have a good time then.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 06:21 am
Good morning, WA2K listeners and contributors.

Thanks again, Bob of Boston for the bio's. Yes, today is Pearl Harbor Day in the U.S. "A day that shall live in infamy." as FDR remarked.

We need more time to review all of your famous folks, but I noticed in particular Willa Cather. I had no idea that she was born in Virginia, and that was quite a revelation.

As a result of our discussion about jazz last evening, I did another stroll through the archives and found an interesting vocalist, Barb Jungr. Although I am not familiar with her, I was quite interested to know that she did many of Bob Dylan's songs. Here is one for our audience:

First Release

"Love And Theft"

I got my back to the sun 'cause the light is too intense
I can see what everybody in the world is up against
You can't turn back - you can't come back, sometimes we push too far
One day you'll open up your eyes and you'll see where we are

Sugar Baby get on down the road
You ain't got no brains, no how
You went years without me
Might as well keep going now

Some of these bootleggers, they make pretty good stuff
Plenty of places to hide things here if you wanna hide 'em bad enough
I'm staying with Aunt Sally, but you know, she's not really my aunt
Some of these memories you can learn to live with and some of them you can't

Sugar Baby get on down the line
You might as well keep going now

The ladies down in Darktown, they're doing the Darktown Strut
You always got to be prepared but you never know for what
There ain't no limit to the amount of trouble women bring
Love is pleasing, love is teasing, love's not an evil thing

Sugar Baby, get on down the road
You might as well keep going now

Every moment of existence seems like some dirty trick
Happiness can come suddenly and leave just as quick
Any minute of the day the bubble could burst
Try to make things better for someone, sometimes,
you just end up making it a thousand times worse

Sugar Baby, get on down the road
You ain't got no brains no how

Your charms have broken many a heart and mine is surely one
You got a way of tearing a world apart, love, see what you done
Just as sure as we're living, just as sure as you're born
Look up, look up - seek your Maker - 'fore Gabriel blows his horn

Sugar Baby, get on down the line
You ain't got no sense, no how
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 07:49 am
Good Morning to all.

I thought I'd repeat myself:

Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:14 am Post: 1053328 -

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Celebrity birthdays this 7th day of December:

Giovanni Lorenzo Bernini, sculptor/painter/architect; Marie Tussaud, waxwork museum; Willa Cather, author; Eli Wallach, actor; Noam Chomsky, linguist and political activist; Ellen Burstyn, actress; Gregg Allman, singer/musician; Johnny Bench, baseball player; Tom Waits, singer/songwriter and

Harry Chapin, whose life was tragically cut short by an automobile accident and who is special to me not only because of all the worthy causes he supported, and his remarkable talent, but because shortly before his death when I went backstage after his concert to have him autograph his poetry book for me, he kissed me -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And a more complete birthday listing:

521 - Saint Columba, Irish Christian missionary to Scotland (d. 597)
1545 - Henry Stuart, Lord Darnley, consort of Mary I of Scotland (d. 1567)
1561 - Kikkawa Hiroie, Japanese politician (d. 1625)
1598 - Gian Lorenzo Bernini, Italian artist (d. 1680)
1637 - Bernardo Pasquini, Italian composer (d. 1710)
1670 - John Aislabie, English director of the South Sea Company (d. 1742)
1761 - Marie Tussaud, French-born museum proprietress and waxwork modeller (d. 1850)
1764 - Claude Victor-Perrin, duc de Belluno, French marshal (d. 1841)
1784 - Allan Cunningham, British poet (d. 1842)
1801 - Johann Nestroy, Austrian dramatist and actor (d. 1862)
1810 - Theodor Schwann, German physiologist (d. 1882)
1810 - Josef Hyrtl, Austrian anatomist (d. 1894)
1823 - Leopold Kronecker, German mathematician (d. 1891)
1847 - George Grossmith, British actor and comic writer (d. 1912)
1860 - Sir Joseph Cook, sixth Prime Minister of Australia (d. 1947)
1863 - Pietro Mascagni, Italian composer (d. 1945)
1863 - Richard Sears, American department store founder (d. 1914)
1873 - Willa Cather, American novelist (d. 1947)
1879 - Rudolf Friml, American composer (d. 1972)
1887 - Ernst Toch, Austrian composer (d. 1964)
1888 - Joyce Cary, Irish author (d. 1957)
1888 - Hamilton Fish, American politician (d. 1991)
1903 - Danilo Blanuša, Croatian mathematician (d. 1987)
1904 - Konstantin Sokolsky, Russian singer
1905 - Gerard Kuiper, Dutch-born American astronomer (d. 1973)
1910 - Louis Prima, American musician (d. 1978)
1912 - Daniel Jones, British composer (d. 1993)
1915 - Eli Wallach, American actor
1922 - Howard Zinn, American historian and activist
1924 - Mário Soares, President of Portugal
1927 - Helen Watts, British contralto
1928 - Noam Chomsky, American linguist and political writer
1932 - Ellen Burstyn, American actress
1942 - Harry Chapin, American singer and songwriter (d. 1981)
1942 - Peter Tomarken, American game show host
1943 - Bernard C. Parks, former Chief of the Los Angeles Police Department.
1944 - Daniel Chorzempa, American organist
1945 - Marion Rung, Finnish singer
1947 - Johnny Bench, American baseball player
1948 - Gary Morris, American singer and actor
1948 - Mads Vinding, Danish bassist
1949 - Tom Waits, American singer, composer, and actor
1954 - Mark Hofmann, American forger and bomber
1956 - Larry Bird, American basketball player and Olympic gold medalist
1958 - Tim Butler, British bassist (Psychedelic Furs)
1966 - C. Thomas Howell, American actor
1967 - Tino Martinez, American baseball player
1971 - Vladimir Akopian, Soviet-born Armenian chess player
1971 - Chasey Lain, American adult film actress
1972 - Hermann Maier, Austrian skier, Alpine Skiing World Cup winner and Olympic gold medalist
1972 - Tammy Lynn Sytch, American professional wrestler
1973 - Terrell Owens, American football player
1974 - Nicole Appleton, Canadian-born singer
1975 - Jamie Clapham, British footballer
1980 - John Terry, English international footballer
1987 - Aaron Carter, American singer
1988 - Emily Browning, Australian actress
2003 - Princess Catharina-Amalia of the Netherlands

http://www.nndb.com/people/842/000031749/chapin3-sized.jpghttp://www.nndb.com/people/650/000023581/ellenburstyn-sized.jpg
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 08:15 am
Ah, folks. There's our Raggedy with her celeb updates. I remember your having said that about Harry Chapin. I'm surprised that you did not cast that kiss in bronze, Pa. <smile> Remember Rodin? Cat's in the Cradle was also our George's "telling song."

From Tussand's Wax museum:

http://madame-tussauds.visit-london-england.com/madame-tussauds-2.jpg
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 08:51 am
Letty, i just love Just a Gigolo, so here goes

I'm Just a gigolo
everywhere I go
people know the part
I'm playing

Paid for every dance
selling each romance
Oh what their saying

There will come a day
And youth will pass away
What will they say about me

When the end comes I know
they'll say just a gigolo
Life goes on without me

I'm just a gigolo, everywhere I go
people know the part I'm playing
paid for every dance
starting each romance
oh what they're saying

And there will come a day
And youth will pass away
What will they say about me

When the end comes I know
They'll say just a gigalo
Life goes on without me

Cause I aint got nobody
oh and theres nobody cares for me
theres nobody cares for me

I'm so sad and lonely
sad and lonely sad and lonely
Won't some sweet mamma
come and take a chance with me
cause I aint so bad

And I'll sing out, sweet love songs
All of the time
She will only be, only be
Bip bozadee bodzee bop le bop

I aint got nobody
oh and theres nobody cares for me
theres nobody cares for me

Hummala bebhuhla zeebuhla boobuhla
hummala bebhuhla zeebuhla bop

I ain't got nobody, nobody,
nobody cares for me
Nobody , theres nobody cares for me
I'm so sad and lonely,
oh lonely, oh lonely, lonely lonely

Won't some sweet mama come and rescue me
cause I aint so bad

And I'll sing out
sweet love songs
all of the time
she will only be, only, only, only only be
baby, sugar darling

I aint got nobody baby
And there's nobody, there's nobody
there's nobody theres nobody
there's no one, there's no one
nobody, nobody, nobody
nobody cares for me
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 09:07 am
Wow! Mr. Turtle. I've never heard "Just a Gigolo." but the words are sad, in a way.

I do know that I like "I Ain't Got Nobody", and a comparable one, "All by Myself."

Here's an oldie but goody from Keely Smith, who is an American Indian, incidentally:(Rod Stewart also sings it)

You Go To My Head Lyrics
You go to my head and you linger like a haunting refrain
And I find you spinning 'round in my brain
Like the bubbles in a glass of champagne
You go to my head like a sip of sparkling Burgundy brew
And I find the very mention of you
Like the kicker in a julep or two

The thrill of the thought that you might give a thought to my
plea
Cast a spell over me
Still I say to myself get a hold of yourself
Can't you see that it never can be

You go to my head with a smile that makes my temperature rise
Like a summer with a thousand Julys
You intoxicate my soul with your eyes
Though I'm certain that this heart of mine
Hasn't a ghost of a chance in this crazy romance
You go to my head

The thrill of the thought that you might give a thought to my
plea
Cast a spell over me
Still I say to myself get a hold of yourself
Can't you see that it never can be

You go to my head with a smile that makes my temperature rise
Like a summer with a thousand Julys
You intoxicate my soul with your eyes
Though I'm certain that this heart of mine
Hasn't a ghost of a chance in this crazy romance
You go to my head
You go to my head
You go to my head
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 09:15 am
"I'm a gigolo" was very popuar in Europe, especially Germany, especially the Louis Armstrong version (there are dozen different ones).
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 09:20 am
Since I'm going to Holland (North Holland [the province] to be correct), watching ships (you can share this view by looking through the lenses of this webcam in one of the hotel's rooms), this song is dedicated just for myself :wink:

From the Beach Boy's album 'Holland':

The river's a bed of sweet berries and flowers
Banks of thirsty lies
(please be careful)
The stream is an eyeglass of heroes
Bridged with bright replies
The creek is a funnel of forgiveness
Winning every prize
Steamboat of living ever faithfully ride.

The river's a dream in a waltz time
Banks of jasper glaze
(have a ball and sing)
The stream is a timepiece of children
Bridged with crystal haze
The creek is a trumpet of hard times
Blowing tasty days
Steamboat of living ever faithfully glide.

Don't worry mister fulton
We'll get your steamboat rollin'.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 09:30 am
Well, there's our Walter. Welcome back, Germany, and thanks for that edification. As we have often discussed, there are so many versions of good songs done and re-done. That simple fact crosses all cultures.

Word for the day:

niggardly.

Someone was fired for using this word. Why, do you suppose?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 02:34 pm
Walter, I missed your Beach Boys tune. Love it. We'll miss you, and I, for one, will take a peek through that cam of the web.

and now for an ironic bit of news:

Lennon legacy tainted by bickering and big bucks
Reuters - Tue Dec 6, 6:41 AM ET
LONDON/NEW YORK - Former Beatle John Lennon was the master of the peacenik anthem, exhorting listeners to live in harmony and give peace a chance. He also asked us to imagine a world without possessions. Yet the bickering among family and fans over his legacy is as loud as ever, as record releases, autobiographies and commentaries jostle for attention ahead of the 25th anniversary of his murder on Thursday.

Crying or Very sad

Incidentally, folks. niggardly means stingy. It pays to be word wise. and you won't get fired.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 03:10 pm
Tico thinks (thought?) France is stingy...
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 03:14 pm
Well, there's our Francis. Welcome back, Paris.

er, Tico thinks France is stingy? Well, is it? Razz
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 03:20 pm
Incidentally, listeners, this song is for our Francis, since he probably knows where C.I. is:

Artist: Lyrics
Song: Bali Hai Lyrics

Most people live on a lonely island,
Lost in the middle of a foggy sea.
Most people long for another island,
One where they know they will like to be.

Bali Ha'i may call you,
Any night, any day,
In your heart, you'll hear it call you:
"Come away...Come away."

Bali Ha'i will whisper
In the wind of the sea:
"Here am I, your special island!
Come to me, come to me!"

Your own special hopes,
Your own special dreams,
Bloom on the hillside
And shine in the streams.
If you try, you'll find me
Where the sky meets the sea.
"Here am I your special island
Come to me, Come to me."

Bali Ha'i,
Bali Ha'i,
Bali Ha'i!

Someday you'll see me floatin' in the sunshine,
My head stickin' out from a loaf nighin' cloud,
You'll hear me call you,
Singin' through the sunshine,
Sweet and clear as can be:
"Come to me, here am I, come to me."
If you try, you'll find me
Where the sky meets the sea.
"Here am I your special island
Come to me, Come to me."

Bali Ha'i,
Bali Ha'i,
Bali Ha'i!
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 03:21 pm
"S" bands today folks

Vasoline
Stone Temple Pilots

one time a thing occured to me
what's real, and what's for sale?
blew a kiss and tried to take it home

it isn't you, isn't me
search for things you can't see
going blind, out of reach
somewhere in the vaseline

two times and it has rendered me
punch drunk and without bail
think I'd be safer all alone
flys in the vasoline we are
sometimes it blows my mind
keep getting stuck here all the time

you'll see the look and you'll see the lies
you'll eat the lies, and you will.

it isn't you, isn't me
search for things you can't see
going blind, out of reach
somewhere in the vasoline.

I Am The Resurrection
Stone Roses

Down down, you bring me down
I hear you knocking at my door and I can't sleep at night
Your face, it has no place
No room for you inside my house I need to be alone

Don't waste your words I don't need anything from you
I don't care where you've been or what you plan to do

Turn turn, I wish you'd learn
There's a time and place for everything I've got to get it through
Cut loose, you're no use
I couldn't stand another second in your company

Stone me, why can't you see
You're a no-one nowhere washed up baby who'd look better dead

Your tongue is far too long
I don't like the way it sucks and slurps upon my every word

I am the resurrection and I am the light
I couldn't ever bring myself to hate you as I'd like

I am the resurrection and I am the light
I couldn't ever bring myself to hate you as I'd like

What I Got
Sublime

Early in the morning, risin' to the street
Light me up that cigarette and I strap shoes on my feet
Got to find a reason, a reason things went wrong
Got to find a reason why my money's all gone
I got a dalmation, and I can still get high
I can play the guitar like a mother f**king riot

Well, life is (too short), so love the one you got
'Cause you might get runover or you might get shot
Never start no static I just get it off my chest
Never had to battle with no bulletproof vest
Take a small example, take a tip from me
Take all of your money, give it all to charity
Love is what I got
It's within my reach
And the Sublime style's still straight from Long Beach
It all comes back to you, you'll finally get what you deserve
Try and test that you're bound to get served
Love's what I got
Don't start a riot
You'll feel it when the dance gets hot

Lovin', is what I got, I said remember that
Lovin', is what I got

(That's) why I don't cry when my dog runs away
I don't get angry at the bills I have to pay
I don't get angry when my Mom smokes pot
Hits the bottle and goes right to the rock
F**kin' and fightin', it's all the same
Livin' with Louie dog's the only way to stay sane
Let the lovin', let the lovin' come back to me

Lovin', is what I got, I got I got I got
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 03:28 pm
Well, there's Canada with his "S" words, er, lyrics. Great dj. Let's see, folks, what song begins with "S"?

Ah, here's one:

Speak low when you speak, love
Our summer day withers away too soon, too soon
Speak low when you speak, love
Our moment is swift, like ships adrift, we're swept apart, too soon
Speak low, darling, speak low
Love is a spark, lost in the dark too soon, too soon
I feel wherever I go that tomorrow is near, tomorrow is here and always too soon
Time is so old and love so brief
Love is pure gold and time a thief
We're late, darling, we're late
The curtain descends, ev'rything ends too soon, too soon
I wait, darling, I wait
Will you speak low to me, speak love to me and soon
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 04:34 pm
Chapin is one of my all-time favorites.

A Better Place to Be - Harry Chapin

It was an early morning bar room,
And the place just opened up.
And the little man come in so fast and
Started at his cup.
And the broad who served the whisky
She was a big old friendly girl.
And she tried to fight her empty nights
By smilin' at the world.

And she said "Hey Bub, It's been awhile
Since you been around.
Where the hell you been hidin' ?
And why you look so down ?"

But the little man just sat there like he'd never heard a sound.

The waitress she gave out a cough,
And acting not the least put off,
She spoke once again.

She said, "I don't want to bother you,
Consider it's understood.
I know I'm not no beauty queen,
But I sure can listen good."

And the little man took his drink in his hand
And he raised it to his lips.
He took a couple of sips.
And he told the waitress this story.

"I am the midnight watchman down at Miller's Tool and Die.
And I watch the metal rusting, and I watch the time go by.
A week ago at the diner I stopped to get a bite.
And this here lovely lady she sat two seats from my right.
And Lord, Lord, Lord she was alright.

"Oh she was so damned beautiful that she'd warm a winter's frost.
But she was long past lonely, and well nigh unto lost.
Now I'm not much of a mover, or a pick-em-up easy guy,
But I decided to glide on over, and give her one good try.
And Lord, Lord, Lord she was worth a try.

"Tongued-tied like a school boy, I stammered out some words.
But it did not really matter much, 'cause I don't think she heard.
She just looked clear on through me to a space back in my head.
And it shamed me into silence, as quietly she said,
'If you want me to come with you, then that's all right with me.
Cause I know I'm going nowhere, and anywhere's a better place to be.
Anywhere's a better place to be.'

"I drove her to my boarding house, and I took her up to my room.
And I went to turn on the only light to brighten up the gloom.
But she said, 'Please leave the light off, Oh I don't mind the dark.'
And as her clothes all tumbled 'round her, I could hear my heart.
The moonlight shown upon her as she lay back in my bed.
It was the kind of scene I only had imagined in my head.
I just could not believe it, to think that she was real.
And as I tried to tell her she said 'Shhh.. I know just how you feel.
And if you want to come here with me, then that's all right with me.
'Cause I've been oh so lonely, lovin' someone is a better way to be.
anywhere's a better way to be.'

"The morning come so swiftly but I held her in my arms.
But she slept like a baby, snug and safe from harm.
I did not want to share her with the world or break the mood,
So before she woke I went out and brought us both some food.

"I came back with my paper bag, to find out she was gone.
She'd left a six word letter saying 'It's time that I moved on.'"

The waitress took a bar rag, and she wiped it across her eyes.
And as she spoke her voice came out as something like a sigh.
She said "I wish that I was beautiful, or that you were halfway blind.
And I wish I weren't so dog-gone fat, I wish that you were mine.
And I wish that you'd come with me, when I leave for home.
For we both know all about loneliness, and livin' all alone."

And the little man,
Looked at the empty glass in his hand.
And he smiled a crooked grin,
He said, " I guess I'm out of gin.
And know we both have been so lonely.
And if you want me to come with you, then that's all right with me.
'Cause I know I'm goin' nowhere and anywhere's a better place to be."
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 04:57 pm
Tico, that song made my eyes get misty. Really.

It must be that time of night again, folks. Perhaps it is the approaching holiday.

A poem from Yeats:

The Second Coming -- W. B. Yeats

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all convictions, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

Surely some revelation is at hand;
Surely the Second Coming is at hand.
The Second Coming! Hardly are those words out
When a vast image out of Spiritus Mundi
Troubles my sight: somewhere in sands of the desert
A shape with lion body and the head of a man,
A gaze blank and pitiless as the sun,
Is moving its slow thighs, while all about it
Reel shadows of the indignant desert birds.
The darkness drops again; but now I know
That twenty centuries of stony sleep
Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?

That poem always sends a light shiver across my body.
0 Replies