WA2K Radio is now on the air

Reyn

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 07:41 pm
Letty wrote:
News from the Vandals:
Vandals hit Bruce Lee statue in Bosnia 27 minutes ago

MOSTAR, Bosnia-Hercegovina (AFP) - A new statue honouring late martial arts legend Bruce Lee was vandalised hours after it was unveiled in this southern Bosnian city, police and witnesses said......

This really is quite disgusting. You would have thought that Bruce Lee would have been someone that young people could have looked up to, BUT noooo! Instead, let's make a pig's **s of ourselves and vandalize the statue. Mad

It probably wouldn't matter what was put up. If it's there, it must be destroyed /vandalized in some way. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 07:53 pm
Well, there's our Reyn. Yes, B.C. It probably wouldn't have mattered what it was. You know them vandals, goths, and visigoths. Razz

Before it's time to retire, listeners, here's a bit of international news:

AMSTERDAM (Reuters) - The first thing a French fisherman asked for when he was rescued after drifting in the Caribbean for 20 days with a broken boat's engine was a croissant, a Dutch defence ministry spokesman said on Friday.

The 27-year-old from the island of Dominica survived on rainwater and a few flying fish that landed on the deck while drifting nearly 1,300 km (800 miles).

"Do you have a 'pain au chocolat' (chocolate croissant) and milk?" were his first words when rescued by the crew of a Dutch frigate who spotted him while searching for drug smugglers in waters near the Dutch Antilles, spokesman Willem Cosijn said.

"Given the circumstances he is doing quite well. He had lost weight and was dehydrated and was handed over to Curacao authorities this morning," he added.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 08:03 pm
http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/reuters_ids/20051125/i/1776386959.jpg

Mal de mer didn't seem to bother him, folks.

Speaking of which, I think I had better say goodnight.

A little dizzy, myself.

From Letty with love
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 08:11 pm
a frechman asking for "milk", that's a little unusual i'd say(perhaps he wanted a little milk with his coffee; he was just a little confused). hbg
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 09:20 pm
Letty wrote:
...."Do you have a 'pain au chocolat' (chocolate croissant) and milk?" were his first words when rescued by the crew of a Dutch frigate who spotted him while searching for drug smugglers in waters near the Dutch Antilles, spokesman Willem Cosijn said....

A chocolate croissant? What a fussy bugger then!

No bread and water for this fellow then? Laughing
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 04:52 am
Good morning WA2K listeners and contributors.

Reyn and hamburger, Amazing, no? I love those little mini chocolate eclairs, but not with milk nor wine nor cognac.

Funny, folks, inspired by a student, evil1, looking for help with his homework, I found a Faux French rock group called Les Sans Culottes and just listened to them perform. They are from New York and are not too bad, but I don't think that I would fly there for a concert.

Instead, This song has been in my head for some reason, so let's give a listen:

Song: Smoky Mountain Rain

I thumbed my way from LA back to Knoxville
I found out those bright lights aint where I belong
From a phone booth in the rain I called to tell her
I've had a change of dreams I'm comin' home
But tears filled my eyes when I found out she was gone

Smokey Mountain rain keeps on fallin'
I keep on callin' her name
Smokey Mountain rain I'll keep on searchin'
I can't go on hurtin' this way
She's somewhere in the Smokey Mountain rain

I waved a diesel down outside a cafe'
He said that he was goin' as far as Gatlinburg
I climbed up in the cab all wet and cold and lonely
I wiped my eyes and told him about her
I've got to find her!
Can you make these big wheels burn?

I can't blame her for lettin' go
A woman needs someone warm to hold
I feel the rain runnin' down my face
I'll find her no matter what it takes!

0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 07:48 am
Good morning WA2K and listeners.

Today's birthdays:

1489 - Margaret Tudor, Queen of James IV of Scotland (d. 1541)
1570 - James Whitelocke, English judge (d. 1632)
1598 - Hans Nansen, Danish statesman (d. 1667)
1628 - John Bunyan, English cleric and author (d. 1688)
1632 - Jean-Baptiste Lully, French composer (d. 1687)
1640 - Willem de Vlamingh, Flemish sea captain
1661 - Edward Hyde, 3rd Earl of Clarendon, British Governor of New York and New Jersey (d. 1723)
1681 - Jean Cavalier, French protestant rebel leader (d. 1740)
1700 - Nathaniel Bliss, Astronomer Royal (d. 1764)
1757 - William Blake, British poet and artist (d. 1827)
1772 - Luke Howard, British meteorologist (d. 1864)
1785 - Achille Charles Léon Victor, duc de Broglie, Prime Minister of France (d. 1870)
1792 - Victor Cousin, French philosopher (d. 1867)
1793 - Carl Jonas Love Almqvist, Swedish romantic poet (d. 1866)
1805 - John Stephens, American archeologist (d. 1852)
1810 - William Froude, British engineer and naval architect (d. 1879)
1820 - Friedrich Engels, German philosopher (d. 1895)
1821 - Nikolai Alekseevich Nekrasov, Russian poet (d. 1878)
1829 - Anton Rubinstein, Russian composer, pianist, and conductor (d. 1894)
1837 - John Wesley Hyatt, American inventor of celluloid (d. 1920)
1853 - Helen Magill White, first American woman to earn a Ph.D. (d. 1944)
1864 - Lindley M. Garrison, American lawyer, U.S. Secretary of War from 1913 through 1916 (d. 1932)
1866 - Henry Bacon, American architect (d. 1924)
1881 - Stefan Zweig, Austrian writer (d. 1942)
1887 - Ernst Röhm, Nazi official (d. 1934)
1895 - José Iturbi, Spanish pianist (d. 1980)
1896 - Lilia Skala, Austrian actress (d. 1994)
1902 - Victor Jory, Canadian actor (d. 1982)
1904 - Nancy Mitford, British essayist and satirist (d. 1973)
1907 - Alberto Moravia, Italian writer (d. 1990)
1908 - Claude Lévi-Strauss, French anthropologist
1916 - Mary Lilian Baels, Princess of Rethy, Belgium (d. 2002)
1925 - Gloria Grahame, American actress (d. 1981)
1925 - József Bozsik, Hungarian international footballer (d. 1978)
1927 - Chuck Mitchell, American actor (d. 1992)
1929 - Berry Gordy Jr., American record company owner and founder of Motown (d. 1992)
1931 - Hope Lange, American actress (d. 2003)
1931 - Tomi Ungerer, French graphic artist, and author
1936 - Gary Hart, American politician
1941 - Laura Antonelli, Italian actress
1942 - Paul Warfield, American football player
1943 - Randy Newman, American composer and musician
1949 - Alexander Godunov, Russian composer and ballet dancer (d. 1995)
1949 - Paul Shaffer, Canadian orchestra leader and musician
1950 - Ed Harris, American actor
1950 - Russell Alan Hulse, American physicist and Nobel Prize laureate
1952 - S. Epatha Merkerson, American actress
1955 - Adem Jashari, Albanian freedom fighter
1957 - David Van Day, British singer (Dollar)
1958 - Dave Righetti, American baseball player
1959 - Judd Nelson, American actor
1961 - Martin Clunes, British actor
1961 - Alfonso Cuarón, Mexican film director
1961 - Jane Sibbett, American actress
1962 - Jon Stewart, American comedian, actor, and television host
1963 - Walt Weiss, American baseball player
1964 - Cornelia Guest, American debutante
1965 - Erwin Mortier, Belgian author
1965 - Matt Williams, American baseball player
1967 - Anna Nicole Smith, American model and television personality
1967 - Stephnie Weir, American actress and comedienne
1968 - Dawn Robinson, R&B singer (En Vogue)
1969 - Robb Nen, American baseball player
1969 - Lexington Steele (Clifton Britt), American adult film actor
1973 - Rob Conway, American professional wrestler
1974 - András Tölcséres, Hungarian footballer
1974 - Styles P (David Styles), American rapper
1977 - DeMya Walker, American basketball player
1978 - Freddie Mitchell, American football player
1978 - Mehdi Nafti, Tunisian footballer
1979 - Chamillionaire (Hakeem Seriki), American rapper
1979 - Joel Maximo (Kelvin Ramirez), American professional wrestler
1980 - Stuart Taylor, British footballer
1984 - Andrew Bogut, Australian basketball player
1988 - Scarlett Pomers, American actress
1989 - Alex Gaines, Distinguished American intellectual
http://www.jgdb.com/cheer10b.jpghttp://www.sallesobscures.com/imginc/ed_harris.jpg
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 09:15 am
Well, there's our Raggedy, listeners. We can always count on her to be here with her celeb updates.

Well, I'm certain that most of us know Ed Harris, and possibly all of us recognize Judy Garland sitting atop the grand.

And, of course, Judd Nelson a member of the Brat Pack

Well, there's our mystic poet William Blake.

William Blake (1757-1827)

London

I wander thro' each charter'd street,
Near where the charter'd Thames does flow,
And mark in every face I meet
Marks of weakness, marks of woe.

In every cry of every Man,
In every Infant's cry of fear,
In every voice, in every ban,
The mind-forg'd manacles I hear.

How the Chimney-sweeper's cry
Every black'ning Church appalls;
And the hapless Soldier's sigh
Runs in blood down Palace walls.

But most thro' midnight streets I hear
How the youthful Harlot's curse
Blasts the new born Infant's tear,
And blights with plagues the Marriage hearse.

Now we see, folks, why they refer to him as a mystic.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 09:23 am
Elsa Morante, Moravia's wife, reminds me somebody but I dont know who...

http://www.castlerock.it/dbimg/medium/gallery4724.jpg
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 09:25 am
That is Judy, of course, but it's the pianist whose birthday would have been on this date. Smile The first gift from one of my teenage boyfriends was a record of Clair de Lune by that pianist. I still have that record. (lol)
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 09:31 am
Well, there's our Francis with the half a face. Welcome back, honey.

Don't know who that woman could remind you of, Paris. Could it be Marie of Romania? <smile>

Quote for the day:

Oh, life is a glorious cycle of song,
A medley of extemporanea;
And love is a thing that can never go wrong;
And I am Marie of Romania.
Dorothy Parker (1893 - 1967)
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 09:41 am
Aha!, Raggedy. Could that fellow at the piano be Jose Iturbi? He did a lot of classical pieces, so I suppose Clair de Lune by Debussy could have been one of them.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 09:52 am
and while we wait for Raggedy to acknowledge, let's give Francis a reminder song:

I hear the sound of music
Your favorite kind of music
and that reminds me dear, of you.

I see the summer roses
Your favorite shade of roses
and that reminds me too of you dear.

If I could hear no music
If there could be no roses
no summer nights to make me dream as I do
I'd still would not forget you
One thing would still be true
My heart reminds me,
I love you.

If I could hear no music
If there could be no roses
no summer nights to make me dream as I do
I'd still would not forget you
One thing would still be true
My heart reminds me,
I love you.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 09:59 am
William Blake
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

William Blake (November 28, 1757 - August 21, 1827) was an English poet, painter and printmaker.

Early life

Blake was born at 28a Broad Street, Golden Square, London into a middle-class family. His father was a hosier. They are believed to have belonged to a radical religious sect called Dissenters. The Bible was an early and profound influence on Blake, and would remain a crucial source of inspiration throughout his life. At the age of four he had his first major vision, in which he saw God "put his head to the window." His visions continued throughout his early life: at ten, in Peckham Rye, London, he saw a tree filled with angels "bespangling every bough like stars." He began engraving copies of drawings of Greek antiquities, a practice that was then preferred to real-life drawing. His parents knew enough of his headstrong temperament that he was not sent to school but was instead enrolled in drawing classes. He read avidly on subjects of his own choosing. Four years later he became apprenticed to an engraver, James Basire. After two years Basire sent him to copy art from the Gothic churches in London. It was Blake's experiences in Westminster Abbey in particular that informed his artistic ideas & style. During the many long afternoons Blake spent sketching in the cathedral, he was occasionally interrupted by the boys of Westminster School, one of whom "tormented" Blake so much one afternoon that he knocked the boy off a scaffold to the ground, "upon which he fell with terrific Violence." At the age of twenty-one Blake finished his apprenticeship and set up as a professional engraver.

In 1779, he became a student at the Royal Academy, where he rebelled against what he regarded as the unfinished style of fashionable painters such as Rubens. He preferred the Classical exactness of Michelangelo and Raphael. In July, 1780, he was at the head of a rampaging mob that stormed Newgate Prison in London. The mob were wearing blue cockades (ribbons) on their caps, to symbolise solidarity with the insurrection in the American colonies. This disturbance, later known as the Gordon riots, provoked a flurry of paranoid legislation from the government of George III, as well as the creation of the first police force.

In 1782 Blake met John Flaxman, who was to become his patron. In the same year he married a poor, illiterate girl named Catherine Boucher, who was five years his junior. Catherine signed her wedding contract with an X. Blake taught her to read and write and even trained her as an engraver. At that time, George Cumberland, one of the founders of the National Gallery, became an admirer of Blake's work.

Blake's first collection of poems, Poetical Sketches, was published circa 1783. After his father's death, William and brother Robert opened a print shop in 1784 and began working with radical publisher Joseph Johnson. At Johnson's house he met some of the leading intellectual dissidents of the time in England, including Joseph Priestley, scientist; Richard Price, philosopher; John Henry Fuseli, painter whom he became friends with; Mary Wollstonecraft, an early feminist; and Thomas Paine, American revolutionary. Along with William Wordsworth and William Godwin, Blake had great hopes for the American and French revolution and wore a red liberty cap in solidarity with the French revolutionaries, but despaired with the rise of Robespierre and the Reign of Terror in the French revolution.

Mary Wollstonecraft became a close friend, and Blake illustrated her Original Stories from Real Life (1788). They shared similar views on sexual equality and the institution of marriage. In the Visions of the Daughters of Albion in 1793 Blake condemned the cruel absurdity of enforced chastity and marriage without love and defended the right of women to complete self-fulfillment. In 1788, at the age of thirty-one, Blake began to experiment with relief etching, which was the method used to produce most of his books of poems. The process is also referred to as illuminated printing, and final products as illuminated books or prints. Illuminated printing involved writing the text of the poems on copper plates with pens and brushes, using an acid-resistant medium. Illustrations could appear alongside words in the manner of earlier illuminated manuscripts. He then etched the plates in acid in order to dissolve away the untreated copper and leave the design standing. The pages printed from these plates then had to be hand-colored in water colors and stitched together to make up a volume. Blake used illuminated printing for four of his works: the Songs of Innocence and Experience, The Book of Thel, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell, and Jerusalem.

Later life and career

Blake's marriage to Catherine remained a close and devoted one until his death. There were early problems, however, such as Catherine's illiteracy and the couple's failure to produce children. At one point, in accordance with the beliefs of the Swedenborgian Society, Blake suggested bringing in a concubine. Catherine was distressed at the idea, and he dropped it. Later in his life Blake sold a great number of works, particularly his Bible illustrations, to Thomas Butts, a patron who saw Blake more as a friend in need than an artist. About 1800 Blake moved to a cottage at Felpham in Sussex (now West Sussex) to take up a job illustrating the works of William Hayley, a mediocre poet. It was in this cottage that Blake wrote Milton: a Poem (which was published later between 1804 and 1808).

Blake abhorred slavery and believed in racial and sexual equality. Several of his poems and paintings express a notion of universal humanity: "As all men are alike (tho' infinitely various)". He retained an active interest in social and political events for all his life, but was often forced to resorting to cloaking social idealism and political statements in protestant mystical allegory. Blake rejected all forms of imposed authority, indeed was charged with assault and uttering seditious and treasonable expressions against the King in 1803 but was cleared in the Chichester assizes of the charges. Blake's views on what he saw as oppression and restriction of rightful freedom extended to the Church. Blake was himself a follower of Unitarian philosophy. This was continued in the publication of his Songs of Experience (in 1794), in which Blake showed his own distinction between the Old Testament God, whose restrictions he rejected, and the New Testament God (Jesus Christ), who he saw as a positive influence.

Blake returned to London in 1802 and began to write and illustrate Jerusalem (1804-1820). He was introduced by George Cumberland to a young artist named John Linnell. Through Linnell he met Samuel Palmer, who belonged to a group of artists who called themselves the Shoreham Ancients. This group shared Blake's rejection of modern trends and his belief in a spiritual and artistic New Age. At the age of sixty-five Blake began work on illustrations for the Book of Job. These works were later admired by John Ruskin, who compared Blake favourably to Rembrandt. William Blake died in 1827 and was buried in an unmarked grave at Bunhill Fields, London. In recent years, a proper memorial was erected for him and his wife. Perhaps his life is summed up by his statement that "The imagination is not a State: it is the Human existence itself." Blake is also recognized as a Saint in Ecclesia Gnostica Catholica. The Blake Prize for Religious Art was established in his honor in Australia in 1949.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Blake

William Blake : Wild Flower's Song, The

As I wandered the forest,
The green leaves among,
I heard a Wild Flower
Singing a song.

"I slept in the earth
In the silent night,
I murmured my fears
And I felt delight.

"In the morning I went
As rosy as morn,
To seek for new joy;
But oh! met with scorn."
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 10:02 am
Anton Rubinstein

Anton Grigorevich Rubinstein (Анто́н Григо́рьевич Рубинште́йн) (November 28, 1829 - November 20, 1894) was a Russian pianist, composer and conductor. As a pianist, he was regarded as a rival to Franz Liszt and has been described by historians as one of the greatest virtuosos in history.

Life

Rubinstein was born in Vikhvatinets (now in Republic of Moldova), probably in the same year as von Bulow and Leschetizky (1830). He learned the piano from an early age, and made his first public appearance at the age of nine. He was taken to Paris, and then to Berlin, where he studied composition. He then moved to Vienna, where he briefly taught, before returning to Russia in 1848 where he worked as a musician to the sister-in-law of the Tsar.

He began to tour again as a pianist in the late 1850s, before settling in St. Petersburg, where in 1862 he founded the St. Petersburg Conservatory, the first music school in Russia. He took a teaching post there, instructing Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky amongst others. He also continued to make tours as a pianist, and spent a short stint teaching in Dresden towards the end of his life.

Rubinstein died in Peterhof, having suffered from heart disease for some time.

Composition

Rubinstein was a prolific composer, writing no less than twenty operas (notably Demon, written after one of Lermontov's Romantic poems), five piano concertos, six symphonies and a large number of solo piano works along with a substantial output of works for chamber ensemble, two concertos for cello and one for violin, free-standing orchestral works and tone poems (including one entitled Don Quixote).

Rubinstein was quite a widely performed composer in his lifetime, but following his death, his works were largely ignored. Some have suggested that this was due to the anti-semitism prevalent at that time in Germany, the musical hub of Europe. However, Rubinstein did not practice any religion at all (except for pantheism late in his life), and so anti-semitism could not apply (at least in any type of "religious" sense). It has also been suggested that he suffered because he did not belong to any particular music "camp": his music demonstrates none of the nationalism of The Five, and in fact he spoke out against Russian nationalism, leading to arguments with Mily Balakirev. He was also not much influenced by Richard Wagner, whose work was held in very high regard at the end of the 19th century. His music is more often compared to Frederic Chopin and Robert Schumann, who were both seen as somewhat old-fashioned at the time of Rubinstein's death.

Towards the end of the 20th century, his work has been performed a little more often, and has often met with positive criticism. Rubinstein's pieces remain somewhat obscure for the time being, however. Amongst his slightly better known works as the opera The Demon, his Piano Concerto No. 4, and his Symphony No. 2, known as The Ocean.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anton_Rubinstein

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anton_Rubinstein
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 10:04 am
Gloria Grahame

Gloria Grahame (November 28, 1923 - October 5, 1981) was an American film actress.

Born Gloria Hallward in Los Angeles, California, her mother Jean Grahame was a stage actress and acting teacher who taught Gloria acting during her childhood and adolescence. She was signed to a contact with MGM Studios after Louis B. Mayer saw her performing on Broadway. Changing her name to Gloria Grahame, using her mother's maiden name as many actors do, she made her film debut in Blonde Fever (1944) and scored her most widely praised role as the neurotic small town girl Violet, who is saved from a disgraceful and disheartening future by George Bailey in It's A Wonderful Life (1946). MGM was not able to develop her potential as a star and her contract was sold to RKO Studios in 1947.

She received an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress nomination for Crossfire (1947), and won the same award for The Bad and the Beautiful (1952). She is perhaps best remembered, however, for her role as the mob moll in The Big Heat (1953). In what was considered a horrifying scene at the time, she is disfigured by boiling coffee thrown in her face by Lee Marvin's character.

Often regarded as a difficult actress, Grahame's career began to wane after her quixotic casting in the musical movie Oklahoma! (1955), although she continued to play supporting roles for the rest of her life in the United States, and also in the United Kingdom, where she resided for many years.

In 1981, Grahame collapsed during a rehearsal for a British stage play, and returned to New York City where she died soon after from breast cancer at the age of 57. She is interred in Oakwood Memorial Park Cemetery in Chatsworth, California. She was survived by her children from various marriages, and a sister.

Gloria Grahame has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame for her contribution to Motion Pictures, at 6522 Hollywood Boulevard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gloria_Grahame
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 10:07 am
Hope Lange

Hope Elise Ross Lange (November 28, 1931 - December 19, 2003) was an American stage, film, and television actress.

She was born into a theatrical family in Redding Ridge, Connecticut, her father being the music arranger for Florenz Ziegfeld Jr.. Lange was only 12 when she made her Broadway debut in The Patriots. Following her father's passing, she worked as a waitress in her mother's Greenwich Village restaurant and sometimes walked the dog of former First Lady of the United States, Eleanor Roosevelt who had a nearby apartment. When her photo appeared in the newspaper, she received an offer to work as a New York City advertising model that eventually led to a return to acting in the early 1950's when she began working in television. The demure and sophisticated blonde actress came to prominence in her first film role in Bus Stop with Marilyn Monroe and Don Murray whom she married on April 14, 1956. As a result of favorable reviews, she landed a major role in the then risqué 1957 film, Peyton Place. Her strong performance earned her a nomination for a Golden Globe Award and the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress.

Divorced from Don Murray, with whom she had two children, she left acting after her October 19, 1963 marriage to producer-director Alan J. Pakula. Following their divorce five years later she resumed her career, starring from 1968 to 1970 in the popular TV series, The Ghost and Mrs. Muir for which she earned two Emmy Awards and a Golden Globe Award nomination.. This success was followed by three seasons on The New Dick Van Dyke Show.

Dedicated to her craft, Lange earned the respect of audiences and peers alike. For more than fifty years she appeared in numerous motion pictures, made-for-television movies, a variety of television shows, as well as making a 1977 return to the Broadway stage where her acting career began.

In 1986 she married theatrical producer, Charles Hollerith, with whom she remained until her death.

She died in December of 2003 in Santa Monica, California, as a result of ischemic colitis infection at the age of 72.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hope_Lange
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 10:08 am
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 10:10 am
Ed Harris

Edward Allen "Ed" Harris (born November 28, 1950) is an American actor. He was born in Tenafly, New Jersey, as the son of a singer. He was a star athlete in high school and won a sports scholarship to Columbia University. Two years later his family moved to Oklahoma and he followed after having discovered his interest in acting in various theater plays. He enrolled at the University of Oklahoma to study drama. After several successful roles in the local theater, he moved to Los Angeles, California, and enrolled at the California Institute of the Arts.

Harris's first important film role was in Borderline with Charles Bronson, where he played a killer. In Knightriders he played a motorcycle stunt rider in a role modeled after that of King Arthur. In 1983, he became a star, playing NASA astronaut John Glenn in The Right Stuff; in 1996 he would be nominated for an Academy Award for his portrayal of NASA mission director Gene Kranz, in the film Apollo 13. Further Oscar nominations arrived in 1999 and 2001, for The Truman Show and Pollock respectively.

More recently, Harris has shown interest in directing. He made his debut in 2000 with the Oscar-winning film Pollock. He has been married to actress Amy Madigan since 1983. They have a daughter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Harris
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 10:39 am
Hey, Hawk. Thanks for the bio's. We were waiting to see how many before we acknowledged.

I had to google Hope Lange to remind myself of her performances, and was surprised to find that she played in a horror film called Harvest Home.

Interesting background on that phrase, with accompanying songs:

Beautiful River (Shall We Gather at the River)
Simple Gifts
She'll Be Comin' Round the Mountain
A la claire fontaine
Deep River
We Gather Together
Not One Sparrow is Forgotten
Cindy
Gentle Annie
We Shall Walk Through the Valley
The Water is Wide
By and By
The Old Church
Lay Me Low
The Road Home

Harvest Home originated in England as a festival for "bringing in the harvest" around the autumnal equinox. The community would work together to get the harvest (usually wheat, barley, corn, and oats) in before the autumn weather closed in. This bringing of the "harvest home" would be an occasion for great rejoicing accompanied by feasting, music, and dancing. Our "Homecoming" takes its origins from this festive term. This recording is a collection of familiar spirituals, folk songs, and hymns. Exquisitely sung and beautifully recorded, this CD offers some of the most heartfelt singing we've heard in awhile. Perfect intonation, sumptuous sound, and familiar tunes - this is Dale Warland at his best. Includes "Deep River," Simple Gifts, "The Water is Wide," Beautiful River ("Shall we gather at the river") "We gather together," and many more. The booklet features full text and notes on each song. The Grammy-nominated Dale Warland Singers, during their 31 years of concerts and recordings, set the standard for excellence in American choral singing. This was recorded before the group disbanded in 2004.
0 Replies